Talk

Advanced search

to expect check veg at the market before buying

(9 Posts)
Lettherebelight Wed 07-Feb-18 22:35:15

At the market today I stopped at a stall I've never bought from. It was set up as bowls of fruit/veg. I asked the guy at the stall if I could look at the veg (just out of politeness really) and he said abruptly 'what do you want to do that for?', so I said 'to see what it's like' a bit puzzled and he said 'it's like a £1 a bowl' aggressively and so I left and as I was walking away he said 'good grief' as if I had asked something unreasonable. So, was I?

Justmuddlingalong Wed 07-Feb-18 22:38:07

Did you want to 'look' with your eyes, or 'look' with your hands to give the produce a squeeze?

Lettherebelight Wed 07-Feb-18 22:41:57

Hands I suppose to check if they were OK as I couldn't see the ones underneath - it wasn't squashy veg I could ruin though

Argeles Wed 07-Feb-18 22:43:45

I love markets, but I find a lot of the fruit and veg sellers very abrupt and rude.

I used to find I was wasting lots of food when I bought it from the markets, as they would hide the shit stuff at the bottom of the bowls. I stopped buying from them and buying from the supermarkets instead.

MrsJoshDun Wed 07-Feb-18 22:46:26

I’ve seen a market trader really shout at someone for this. They were actually picking items up and inspecting them. Bloke went crazy.

I never buy from a market.

brownelephant Wed 07-Feb-18 22:48:21

loose veg, yes check. but those pay-per-bowl are just grab and pay.

Lettherebelight Wed 07-Feb-18 22:54:14

Ohhh, that makes sense Elephant, the stalls I usually go to are loose veg

MotherofaSurvivor Thu 08-Feb-18 02:02:34

Bowls?

CheshireChat Thu 08-Feb-18 02:41:25

MotherofaSurvivor You get pre weighted fruit or vegetable that are usually £1 in a bowl rather than a plastic bag and they just tip them in a carrier for you.

Some people don't seem to realise if they're abrasive they'll have no customers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: