Talk

Advanced search

School disco

(81 Posts)
emzaroo Wed 07-Feb-18 22:23:57

I have 2 children in the primary school.
We had a good ofsted and to celebrate the Psa are putting on a disco at a cost of £5 per child. The disco is 45 minutes long and the children get a drink of squash and a small packet of haribo.
Both dd are going to want to go, and righty so but the question is....
AIBU to resent paying £10 for this?
I am happy to pay but truly feel £5 each is ridiculous! What do other schools do?

I appreciate Psa do a good job at raising money but I no longer enjoy going to any school things due to the sheer cost.

Thanks

AppleKatie Wed 07-Feb-18 22:30:03

£5 for 45 minutes!

Bloody hell! I’d resent it too.

Sorry no help!

rubberducker Wed 07-Feb-18 22:31:19

We charge £2.50 for our disco - 1 hour and children get a drink, a packet of crisps and a bag of haribo. £5 sounds steep to me.

Muddlingalongalone Wed 07-Feb-18 22:32:21

It's a bit pricey - for comparison dd1 has a disco this term which is £3 for 1hr30

youngnomore Wed 07-Feb-18 22:33:44

For 45 minuets it’s ridiculous. Especially if you have more then one child. I Don’t have any in primary anymore. But Will have one in a few years though and I know this kind of thing will really annoy me.

tellybear Wed 07-Feb-18 22:34:43

£3.50 for 1hr 15 mins.

Includes water/squash (unlimited), biscuits, pick & mix (I think it's 5 sweets per child), packet of crisps and some sandwiches.

£5 for 45mins and a packet of Haribo sounds a lot.

Awaywiththefairies1 Wed 07-Feb-18 22:35:17

That is silly money for what they get! Is it a fundraiser at the same time? Our PTA holds events such as fetes in order to raise money so they can put on things like discos free of charge.

I'd really resent the price but much like yourself would no doubt pay it, would hate for my 2 to feel they are missing out on a party all their friends are at.

emzaroo Wed 07-Feb-18 22:36:20

To be fair to the Psa they do raise money and we can see where it goes.
The Xmas bazaar ended up so stressful with the children being sad that they couldn't have a go on everything as things cost £2-4 each go.
I feel they are just upping the price each event with a rush of how much is raised.
I wrote something but deleted it straight away as I don't want to have an awkward conversation 😕 it's so silly!

Argeles Wed 07-Feb-18 22:38:32

45 minutes! Our school disco in Year 6 was 4 hours long.

We had time to compare outfits, do crazy dance moves, eat and drink too much crap, talk about boys, and devise sneaky ways of snogging our ‘boyfriends’ without any Teachers catching us! We had great fun.

What the hell will they do in 45 minutes? That doesn’t even give much time for many different songs to be played.

emzaroo Wed 07-Feb-18 22:38:34

Im pleased its not just me that feels it's a bit much.
I think £2.50- 3 is reasonable. If not free considering it's supposed to be celebrating our good ofsted.

dollygolightly Wed 07-Feb-18 22:41:47

Ours is £1 for an hour and a half and the kids can take money to buy sweets/drinks/glow sticks etc

ladybirdsarelovely33 Wed 07-Feb-18 22:44:41

Ours is also a fiver for an hour. It's for a good cause. Your children will ultimately benefit from what the psa raise. That is how I look at it.

manicinsomniac Wed 07-Feb-18 22:45:24

That's ridiculous.

Ours is free and comes with a party tea beforehand then an hour in the disco.

But it's only once a year and it's a private school. I guess I can see why most schools charge but it shouldn't be that expensive for such a short time.

Leeds2 Wed 07-Feb-18 22:45:31

I think that is extortionate.
And I would be encouraging DC not to go, in the hope that less take up would reduce prices for future events.

Mischa123 Wed 07-Feb-18 22:46:40

Ours is £2.50 for 1 her and they get unlimited drinks and a bag of crisps. I have learnt the good trick though that if toubhelp you don't have to pay for your child! And I like dancing abut so win win!

emzaroo Wed 07-Feb-18 22:48:13

I don't doubt that my children will not ultimately benefit from the money raised.
I just feel it's too much.

YolandiFuckinVisser Wed 07-Feb-18 22:48:41

DD went to her school disco this evening. 1h15m, £1 to get in and sweets for sale, restricted to one bag per child at 50p. They can also buy glow sticks or tattoos or nail transfers or have a go on the wheel of fortune.

SequinsOnEverything Wed 07-Feb-18 22:54:25

Ours is £2 for an hour, with unlimited free squash but no food. We do a seperate disco for ks1 and ks2 so have to pay the disco man to do twice the time, but still make £150-200 profit per disco.

£5 for 45 minutes is crazy!
A disco to celebrate Ofsted should be free I think. A disco to raise funds obviously shouldn't be, but should be cheaper to allow more children to go. Some families genuinely can't afford £5 for a short disco.

FinallyFree123456789 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:09:27

Our school disco was £1 each and was 3 hours long.
All drinks were £1 A’s was face painting, glitter tattoos and lucky dip!
45 mins and £5 is ridiculous

ladybirdsarelovely33 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:10:12

If you genuinely can't afford it, then I am sure that the psa will make a concession. They are usually helpful people IME.

SprinkleCakeLollipop Wed 07-Feb-18 23:14:34

That's ridiculous. What's the point in a 45 minute disco

4 hours is equally as mental though. £5 for that I could understand, to fund the secret alcohol stash for recovering pta members!

Areyouactuallykiddingme Wed 07-Feb-18 23:32:58

Wow, our school charge £1 For entry to the disco which usually lasts an hour. They sell Haribo (10p) crisps (20p) and drinks (30p)

Think £5 per child is a rip off

ladybirdsarelovely33 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:52:48

I think a few people are somewhat missing the point here. The psa are like charity fundraisers. For your dc's school. It's not about value for money.

CoffeenoTea Thu 08-Feb-18 00:06:18

ours is £2.50 per child, you get hot dog drink( carton ) and crisps thenit 10-20p for a sweet bag 1 per child. unlimited water .it is 2hrs long.

Hotfootit Thu 08-Feb-18 00:32:54

Ours is:
KS1 - 45 mins - £1 entry.
KS2 - 1 hr - £1 entry
Free water. Sweets, crisps, juice and glow sticks for sale.
Covers the cost of DJ equipment and some profit. The real money is made in the bar at the parents disco later that evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now