Talk

Advanced search

being a mumsnet member with no children

(125 Posts)
twosugarspls Wed 07-Feb-18 22:08:03

.. and no desire to have children. i occasionally see people posting that have no children and admit they don't want children, i thought mumsnet was for mums.. or people trying to conceive? or am i missing the pointhmm

Whatshallidonowpeople Wed 07-Feb-18 22:09:11

What about dads?

SumThucker Wed 07-Feb-18 22:09:57

I barely mention my children on here, I don't use it as a 'parent site'.

ilovesooty Wed 07-Feb-18 22:10:09

Not again. MNHQ have repeatedly made it clear that all are welcome. There's plenty here to interest people who are not parents.

PositivelyPERF Wed 07-Feb-18 22:10:37

Are you saying you don’t have or want children or are you talking about other posters?

Muffinbutton Wed 07-Feb-18 22:10:41

Not all topics are about kids!

MongerTruffle Wed 07-Feb-18 22:11:43

Yes, you are missing the point. Mumsnet has never been just for mums.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 07-Feb-18 22:11:43

Mumsnet is for anyone. I do agree though. The name of the site could give the impression that's it's exclusive only to mums but. That's not the case at all. We talk about a wide range of things, not just our children..
Welcome aboard

Passmethecakeplease Wed 07-Feb-18 22:12:11

Mumsnet is for everyone.

Aibu is full of 'dilemmas' which are completely unrelated to children/babies/being a parent so surely the responses don't need to come from parents either??

RavenWings Wed 07-Feb-18 22:12:54

Ah right, yeah. Only for people who have kids, so I guess we'd better get rid of all topics not relating to kids.

Weight loss? That can go.
Feminism, let's lose that too...
Veganism, we won't need that...
Woolly hugs - gone
Weddings - ciao
Christmas - buh bye

How many topics do you think will be left, OP?

Tinkofhousepan Wed 07-Feb-18 22:13:42

biscuit my 'child'

PaperdollCartoon Wed 07-Feb-18 22:13:47

Most of Mumsnet isn’t to do with parenting, it’s just about life. It’s a very active forum so will bring in all people. I don’t have children (but hope to at some point) I like all the different views and conversations here

RedPanda2 Wed 07-Feb-18 22:14:17

I am childfree by choice. Doesn't mean I can't comment on or learn from peoples threads. I stay away from the child advice ones but lots of threads barely mention children.
I thought this was a community of (mainly) women. I'm here for the CF threads and AIBU!

FantaIsFine Wed 07-Feb-18 22:14:31

I "parent" without having my own kids

And find AIBU hysterical regardless. Who needs children for a great parking thread?

Crispbutty Wed 07-Feb-18 22:15:05

You don’t need kids to discuss the majority of the topics on here, you just need to not be a twat to other posters 😁.

twosugarspls Wed 07-Feb-18 22:15:39

sorry i'm new to the site and it was a genuine question. when i saw 'mumsnet' it seemed obvious to me that it would be a site for mums/parents. i'm not saying other people shouldn't be allowed to join just a strange name for a site if that's not the case

DeliberatelyAwkward Wed 07-Feb-18 22:16:14

A solicitor I know - male, single, childless, early 30s - LOVES mumsent! We have discussed top AIBUs (poo crumbs, anyone?)

<waves incase he’s reading>

twosugarspls Wed 07-Feb-18 22:16:48

@PositivelyPERF i'm talking about other posters, i have a child that's why i joined. was simply asking a question i wasn't saying other people shouldn't be allowed to join

Passmethecakeplease Wed 07-Feb-18 22:16:52

The photo of your child is much aopreciated Tink

HemanOrSheRa Wed 07-Feb-18 22:16:58

Bloody hell. MN would be absolute shite if we could only talk about our children confused.

LivLemler Wed 07-Feb-18 22:17:07

I joined years before we started trying. There's discussion of all sorts on here and I like that it's majority female.

EmpressOfJurisfiction Wed 07-Feb-18 22:17:30

You're missing the point. I don't want kids & I've been here for years now.

Why? For the feminist boards (this is famous / notorious as one of the best sites in existence for gender-critical feminists), for the running threads, for the messing about threads & on occasion the mental health threads. None of those need me to be a parent.

IfYouDontImagineNothingHappens Wed 07-Feb-18 22:18:23

I was a member years before having kids. I think I googled something boring like laundry and up popped Mumsnet. Most topics have been covered somewhere on here.

Passmethecakeplease Wed 07-Feb-18 22:19:20

I think your OP came across as though you felt only mum's should be on here. I'm not sure the hmm helped. That's probably why you've got the responses you've received whether that was the intention or not.

Argeles Wed 07-Feb-18 22:19:44

I was really surprised and confused when I first saw a post from someone who didn’t have children and wasn’t pregnant either.

I always thought that this site was just for parents and expectant ones, then I thought to myself that no one has to prove they’re a parent to join, so I guess they have to be open to everyone.

I still do find it a bit odd though that people join who aren’t parents, even if a lot of the chat isn’t child related, as I thought the site was targeted at parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now