Talk

Advanced search

To be nervous about coil fitting?

(42 Posts)
Fianceechickie Wed 07-Feb-18 20:46:47

Worrying about having a mirena coil fitted tomorrow. I'm having a smear at same time as it's due anyway. Will the coil fitting be much different?

Dancingfairy Wed 07-Feb-18 20:48:59

There was a thread about this literally the other day. The search feature is your friend! (About how painful having a coil fitting is)

Squeegle Wed 07-Feb-18 20:49:44

My experience was that it was fine! Much less bad than expected.

dementedpixie Wed 07-Feb-18 20:50:28

Take painkillers beforehand e.g. ibuprofen. The most uncomfortable bit is when they measure the depth of the womb. The actual fitting of the coil was not painful. There are fitting guides online including videos if you can handle more info

jollyjester Wed 07-Feb-18 20:51:17

I had mine fitted a few days after a smear. Coil was far less uncomfortable than the smear. I actually asked was that it?

Fianceechickie Wed 07-Feb-18 20:52:47

Thanks! I don't want to search cos there's more likely to be horror stories posted than good news!

jkl0311 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:55:18

Had mine fitted in Nov a year after DD didn't really hurt could breathe through it and chat, had the odd bit of spotting since, no periods, no more monthly period pains grin

RadioDorothy Wed 07-Feb-18 20:57:14

Quite right op, don't search for the bad stuff!

If you are averagely stoic with an average pain threshold, and can grit your teeth for a few moments - you'll be fine.

I can't lie and assure you it's painless, there is some pressure and discomfort - maybe a little more than a smear. But it is certainly doable.

I had a cracking migraine the last time I had mine changed, AND I had a smear. Not the most fun I've had with my knickers off I can tell you, but I survived. wink

RadioDorothy Wed 07-Feb-18 20:58:04

Oh incidentally I haven't had children - they say that makes a difference to the, er ease of insertion.

Dancingfairy Wed 07-Feb-18 21:00:21

It was asking how painful it is to have it fitted like on a scale of 1-10 not saying it was painful. It was a thread exactly like this. Only mentioned it because it was literally a couple of days ago.

Nunyabusiness Wed 07-Feb-18 21:00:38

I found it uncomfortable but bearable, of you can grit your teeth for two minutes xx

AyeAyeFishyPie Wed 07-Feb-18 21:04:11

Painful for a short time then absolutely fine. Promise.

TheIblisHasspoken Wed 07-Feb-18 21:04:45

Had mine fitted two months after I had my daughter and it was fine, it's a bit uncomfortable and definitely do what a pp suggested and have a couple of pain killers before hand. I found the cramping afterwards worse than the actual fitting. I hope it goes well for you

Klarabing Wed 07-Feb-18 21:08:29

Have a bite to eat before you go as well. It can stop you feeling faint during and after the procedure x

sourpatchkid Wed 07-Feb-18 21:08:35

Mine was absolutely fine and she had to rummage around for a while to get it in place. It's fine and quick

Fianceechickie Wed 07-Feb-18 21:08:37

@RadioDorothy that's what I was thinking. I had a c section no vaginal deliveries. I'm okay with pain. I actually used to be in lots of pain with smears but not on the last couple so am hoping it'll be okay. I don't get headaches really. I hope that doesn't happen. Not sure I'd deal with it v well as not used to it! I'm a hypochondriac so I'll worry it's something else!

sourpatchkid Wed 07-Feb-18 21:09:25

I'd had a c section too

TinselAngel Wed 07-Feb-18 21:11:00

I've has mine in 4 years now. I don't remember it being much worse than a smear.

Fianceechickie Wed 07-Feb-18 21:15:04

That's a relief. Thank you! Just said to DH I was worried about it and he said "well it's probably not the best time to have it done with your in laws arriving tomorrow and your step children coming'. Cheers for the concern!

FayJay Wed 07-Feb-18 21:15:21

Take some painkillers before you go. And take a sanitary towel as well just in case. Mine was tricky to put in and I had quite a lot of bleeding after. Which I was told is unusual but still - best to be prepared! Mine did hurt more than I expected but it wasn’t too bad.

ShadowWeaver Wed 07-Feb-18 21:19:32

Hi, here's a link to my experience smile

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/family_planning/3016406-Copper-IUD-my-experience

ShadowWeaver Wed 07-Feb-18 21:21:04

I know that's the copper coil, but assuming it's the same to fit it?

DropItLikeASquat Wed 07-Feb-18 21:22:33

I found the fitting uncomfortable but bearable, however about 4 weeks after my fitting I had lots of cramping and pain down one side, my coil had moved to the side and slipped into my cervix. The doctor removed it and 2 weeks late I discovered that I was 5 weeks pregnant. I must have conceived after the child was fitted and I now have an 18 months old, unexpected (but wouldn't change a thing) boy, who is a complete joy to our lives. xx I wouldn't recommend the coil for this reason, the ohs and gynae consultant said it was likely that my coil shifted lower than effective and I conceived.

Appuskidu Wed 07-Feb-18 21:24:47

Mine was bloody awful-hurt so much more than I’d anticipated confused. I don’t find smears painful at all though?!

Definitely worth the agony though-they are marvellous little devices.

NiteFlights Wed 07-Feb-18 21:35:47

Mine was very painful, like extremely bad period pain (and my period pain is bad). It would have been better if I'd realised it might have been painful instead of expecting it to be like a smear test. Agree with pp, take painkillers beforehand and take a towel with you. Chances are it will be fine but best to be prepared. The next day I was fine - and having it removed was painless.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: