Talk

Advanced search

Do you request a female doctor/nurse to do your smear test?

(307 Posts)
catscan Wed 07-Feb-18 20:14:00

Just that really.

Blondephantom Wed 07-Feb-18 20:16:11

No but I can understand why some women do.

PositivelyPERF Wed 07-Feb-18 20:16:22

Female. I’ve been assaulted by a male doctor, as a teenager and again when I was 18.

moreismore Wed 07-Feb-18 20:16:27

I’ve never had a non-female nurse do one so it’s not occurred to me to check in advance... but yes I would expect it to be done by a woman.

BertrandRussell Wed 07-Feb-18 20:16:35

No. I would prefer a woman, but for me it’s not a huge deal. But women should definitely have the right to if it’s important to them- no questions asked.

Dancingfairy Wed 07-Feb-18 20:17:05

I was actually told to request one by a male doctor. But no I wouldn't as I don't really care who does it. Same with male midwifes I had no issues with them.

littlepeas Wed 07-Feb-18 20:17:49

Yes. I recently had a breast reduction and specifically sought out a female consultant for that too. I have been examined by a male doctor in pregnancy - I didn't object, as he was obviously a professional/just doing his job, but I would have preferred a woman. I think it's the added level of understanding they have, as they actually have the same body parts as you - men can't know what it's like in the same way.

RaininSummer Wed 07-Feb-18 20:18:31

I prefer a woman. I think the older I get the more I care as I don't want a young bloke looking at my middle aged bits. All in my mind I know but it adds another layer of stress and unease.

DesignedForLife Wed 07-Feb-18 20:18:48

I've never requested as only had nurses do them and there's only ever been female nurses. But otherwise I would request.

AccidentallyRunToWindsor Wed 07-Feb-18 20:19:14

I've never had a male nurse for a smear.

I've had a make gynaecologist for a coloscopy but there were 3 women in the room too, I felt very comfortable.

JuliannaBixby Wed 07-Feb-18 20:19:27

Not as such. But if I phone and ask for a smear appointment it's generally the nurse, who is female. I've never been given an appointment with a male for a smear.

Readytomakechanges Wed 07-Feb-18 20:19:41

No, but understand why some women do.

busyboysmum Wed 07-Feb-18 20:19:51

Yes. I always request a female doctor. I've found them to have more understanding of female medical conditions as they have experienced a lot of the things I have themselves. And for intimate procedures I insist.

UserDeleted Wed 07-Feb-18 20:20:08

I ask for a female nurse/doctor. I wouldn't get one done by a man. Never had an issues asking. I generally prefer a female doctor in general (for my GP).

catscan Wed 07-Feb-18 20:22:00

Interesting - about 50/50 so far.

Personally I don't mind either way (and have had a male gynaecologist and male sexual health nurse too) but I understand why some women would prefer a female.

shadesofwinter Wed 07-Feb-18 20:22:00

No. But we only have female nurses at our surgery so it wouldn't occur to me to check. I think I'd be ok with a man doing it though.

Scotinoz Wed 07-Feb-18 20:22:49

It's always been done by a female, but that just seems to be coincidence rather than preference.

My obstetrician was a male, and it was a male GP who inserted my Mirena, and were both excellent and not weird. Probably more gentle than the women to be honest.

blackteasplease Wed 07-Feb-18 20:23:14

I haven't requested it but again understand why some women do. I have always just been given a female nurse though as they are all female at the practice we go to.

In was fine with the idea of having a male midwife with dc1, but then he fucked off due to an emergency and was off shift by the time I was actually induced.

GetShitDone Wed 07-Feb-18 20:23:21

No, it doesn't bother me.

Ivebeenaroundtheblock Wed 07-Feb-18 20:23:23

I have no negative past experiences so no concerns as to who performs it as long as they do it correctly.
Disclaimer I’m a retired nurse who has seen thousands of male and female bits.

halfwitpicker Wed 07-Feb-18 20:24:27

I'd request a female.

Sarsparella Wed 07-Feb-18 20:24:39

Ive never requested a female nurse but that’s more because it’s always been a female nurse whose done my smear - if I thought it could be a male nurse I’d ask for a female instead

ChickenPaws Wed 07-Feb-18 20:25:01

I’m not particularly bothered, but given the choice, I’d rather have a female doctor/nurse.

I’ve also noticed that women actually listen to what I’m saying to them, whereas male doctors often dismiss my views or patronise me.

Littlechocola Wed 07-Feb-18 20:25:27

No and don’t mind either way. Had a male midwife too.

As a female HCP I always offer to find a male colleague for male patients but people usually don’t mind.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 07-Feb-18 20:25:29

No, but it hadn't occured to me that there would be a possibility that they wouldn't be female. How would you ask though, given that TIMs are apparently female from birth?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: