Talk

Advanced search

Aibu about holiday booking

(18 Posts)
Mrsweasley123 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:06:54

Booked a holiday for the summer a few months ago, paid a significant amount extra for a swim up room with private pool (shared with room next to us so semi private). Today had an email from the travel agent saying- just to let you know there was a mistake in our description and it's not a private pool it's just a swim up room. Phoned travel agent to clarify who advised that basically it's a room right by the main pool with a terrace. Explained that I didn't want to be right next to the main pool- the rationale for paying for the private pool is we have three small children who will be napping in the afternoon so wanted to be able to chill while they got some peace for a nap, and I know resorts tend to play very loud music all day at the main pool.
So as a result I advised as it wasn't as advertised I would like to change to a room in the main hotel (the one we were initially going for). Travel agents are saying they will do but for an admin fee?!
Aibu to think they advertised incorrectly and should really be apologising not trying to charge us extra as a result of their mess up?

JudgeyJudy Wed 07-Feb-18 17:11:35

I don't think YABU if they mis-advertised the room.

constantreader Wed 07-Feb-18 17:17:11

Check your paperwork - it may (and should) specify what kind of room you booked and paid for at the time. If it says the room type you asked and paid extra for (ie swim-up with semi-private pool) then the travel agent should be honouring that. Did you sign any paperwork which stated the room type you were booking?

If for some reason they can't now provide you with that room, then they should be offering you an alternative without an admin fee.

Mrsweasley123 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:22:52

Just checking the paperwork- it clearly states- 2 bedroom family room with swim up, private pool.

LIZS Wed 07-Feb-18 17:24:13

Agree , you need to escalate it to a complaint and ask for any fees to be waivered

constantreader Wed 07-Feb-18 17:28:01

That's good - now go back to your travel agent and say that is exactly what you booked and you expect to be allocated on arrival.

If they can't provide this they need to offer you a reasonable alternative.

My guess is that the agent that booked you has mistakenly undercharged you (eg they've charged you the price of a standard room/apartment instead of the private pool room) and have realised their error, or they've been told by the hotel that there aren't any private pool rooms actually available for you - in any case they need to provide you with a reasonable like-for-like alternative.

They definitely shouldn't be charging any admin fees, based on the fact that your paperwork shows what you've booked.

Who did you book through, out of interest?

(I'm a travel agent)

Angrybird345 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:32:59

Check that the hotel doesn’t offer private pools first, and complain like hell! And don’t pay an admin fee! They made the mistake!

RavenLG Wed 07-Feb-18 17:33:41

If is has been mis-advertised they will be in breach of the consumer care act and as such should offer an alternative or reduction in price, they should not be charging an admin fee. Escalate the complaint!

expatinscotland Wed 07-Feb-18 17:35:09

Complain, complain, complain!

Triskaidekaphilia Wed 07-Feb-18 17:35:12

It is not what was advertised so I think they should be changing for free unless they can provide what you asked for, or refund of deposit.

I just found out the hotel I'm going to will no longer have a furnished balcony in the room I've booked, just a Juliet balcony, and they haven't even let me know, I had to find out through tripadvisor. I have emailed asking them and still waiting to hear back.

timeisnotaline Wed 07-Feb-18 17:39:05

Defintley don’t pay an admin fee. Make a complaint and say you expect them to deliver on the booking made, if they have either misadvertised or found the accom for some reason unavailable you expect them to provide you with some equivalent options which do meet the booking requirements on your contract within a week for you to choose, for no fee. Otherwise you will require a full refund.

Triskaidekaphilia Wed 07-Feb-18 17:39:33

By 'for free' I mean without admin fee, I don't know if you're upgrading or downgrading the room though it would be nice of them to upgrade for free as well.

Mrsweasley123 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:45:39

Thanks all- hotel definitely offers private pools. The room we were wanting to change to is a big downgrade- we paid a significant amount extra to have the private pool- but the more I think about it the more I'm annoyed, there was no apology on the email it just says there was a mistake on our website and you will not have a private pool

constantreader Wed 07-Feb-18 17:47:26

ask for the refund on the extra you paid for the pool room too, and definitely don't pay any admin fees. I'd chase compensation for the inconvenience too....

DarkBlueEyes Wed 07-Feb-18 17:55:43

Was it Tui by any chance? We had a similar issue and I told them in no uncertain terms they had to find us a better room or an equivalent room to what we booked. Tweet them, go on their Facebook page and don't give up. A private pool is what you booked and paid for and it's what you should get.

SprinkleCakeLollipop Wed 07-Feb-18 18:42:25

No don't pay an admin fee. Tell them they've misrepresented what's on offer and you want your money back.

Aragog Wed 07-Feb-18 18:52:42

Take it to twitter if they don't respond accordingly. Companies often respond quicker and with greater efficiency once its in the public domain.

Angrybird345 Sat 10-Feb-18 07:23:44

What happened OP?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: