Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone else’s periods changed after childbirth?

(60 Posts)
WonderLime Wed 07-Feb-18 16:01:41

I unfortunately got mine back quite quickly despite breastfeeding. They are heavier than I remember them being, but nothing I can manage seeing as I can just hide away at home for the week and refuse to leave the house.

But my God, the period pains are horrendous. It just comes out of nowhere and has me nearly floored. Please tell me this doesn’t continue forever. It’s the 4th one since birth and it doesn’t feel any better than the last few months.

Does this happen to everyone? Is this one of those many, many unpleasant things that the NHS forget to mention? Does it get better with time?

jemjemjem50 Wed 07-Feb-18 16:02:56

mine did! After my section they were heavier

WTFIsThisVirus Wed 07-Feb-18 16:04:18

I'm the opposite. Before baby, my periods were horrible. I had pain up and down my legs and back. Painkillers would barely touch it. Now I don't get period pains at all, which I heard was quite common.

SnippitySnappity Wed 07-Feb-18 16:08:10

Hard to tell if it was the DC or age - I find that my pains are worse, I pass more clotty stuff and bleed more but it all comes out much faster so the total duration is shorter.

Go see the Dr though - aren't there painkillers that target the relevant bits?

icebearforpresident Wed 07-Feb-18 16:14:42

Mine did in that the pain ‘moved’. It had been fairly central in my lower back but moved to my hip, it actually felt like the pain was literally in my hip. Made me sick on occasion as well. Settled again after 6 months or so and apart from the odd twinge don’t really get anything now.

yumscrumfatbum Wed 07-Feb-18 16:15:29

Mine have got heavier with each child x

Shmithecat Wed 07-Feb-18 16:17:01

Heavier but no pain since ds. Before ds they were a bit lighter but the pain could be debilitating.

MermaidUnicorn Wed 07-Feb-18 16:19:28

It might just be a change in your cycle though- it changes every few years. Mine were managable for years and suddenly became very heavy in my late 30s so I had a coil fitted.

Frazzled2207 Wed 07-Feb-18 16:21:00

Mine got heavier but a lot less painful.

crackerjacket Wed 07-Feb-18 16:21:33

They are heavier.

Somethingveryrandom Wed 07-Feb-18 16:22:42

Yup. Feel like I'm fecking dying.

elliejjtiny Wed 07-Feb-18 16:24:17

Yes, heavier and a bit less painful with each DC.

Monkeypuzzle32 Wed 07-Feb-18 16:24:41

God, dont tell me they get worse! Not had one yet after having my DD 7 weeks ago, I don't think I could cope with worse!

keepingbees Wed 07-Feb-18 16:27:49

Before I had children I used to have light periods but get horrendous period pain. I haven't had any pain apart from occasional niggles since having my first DC. They were heavy for a few months after each birth but gradually evened out and are just medium and almost painless now.

WonderLime Wed 07-Feb-18 16:31:52

I’m not particularly happy as I’d been hoping for 6+ months period-free bliss. Instead they reappeared after 9 weeks.

And now I have a devil delightful child kicking my tummy and hips whilst feeding, so I’m feeling grumpy and annoyed.

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one, but seems like the pain isn’t necessarily the norm. I will weather it this month with paracetamol, chocolate and wine (not all at once) and take myself to the doctors next month.

Monkey by the sounds of it, it’s potluck so you may end up having 2 day periods and feeling incredible!

chocolateorangeowls Wed 07-Feb-18 16:32:28

Mine did the opposite, my cycle has got much longer, from 29 to 36 days but much less painful and generally lighter. I'm guessing they might go back to how they were. I don't miss the pain.

themusicisoutside Wed 07-Feb-18 16:33:09

Yes, mine changed too. Just got a diagnosis of Adenomyosis today (endo of the womb) after 16 years of painful periods and having to take 2x iboprufen and 2x paracetomol together.

chocolateorangeowls Wed 07-Feb-18 16:34:23

For the pain try neurofen instead of paracetamol. When I had bad pain before paracetamol didn't touch it but neurofen helped if I took it quick enough. (I think any sort of ibruprofen works.)

ineedadream Wed 07-Feb-18 16:36:08

Mine are now so bad I have a iud to stop them

FlipflopFifi Wed 07-Feb-18 16:37:36

Yes unfortunately. I now have period pains and awful pmt which I never suffered with before. I also sometimes get 'morning sickness'. On the plus side, the flow is much lighter.

Undies1990 Wed 07-Feb-18 16:40:54

After my second child, mine were very heavy and I ended up being anaemic because of them. I ended up having a hydro-thermal balloon ablation which was absolutely fantastic and my periods were very very light after that procedure.

HamishBamish Wed 07-Feb-18 16:43:32

I think mine are heavier, but they are also less painful. That said it could be due to peri menopause as I'm closer to 50 than 40. I also use a moon cup which I think has lessened the cramping I used to get.

I had horrendous period pain as a teenager, it was awful. I'm glad it's not like that anymore.

Jozxyqk Wed 07-Feb-18 16:52:33

Before I got pregnant with DD at around 30, my periods were dreadful - heavy backache, severe cramping in the pelvic floor area, & pain all down my legs. Nausea. But, they were fairly light. Now, they are much heavier, but I get almost no pain. However, I now get 2-3 days of severe migraine every month, just before my period, which didn't used to happen. The migraines started a couple of months after I stopped BFing DD.
But, I have suffered with a different type of migraine for many years. Apparently people with one type are more susceptible to start with other types.

TheCatsPaws Wed 07-Feb-18 16:56:05

Mine went from painful to light and painless.

I’m sure something is wrong though, because ever since I’ve had miscarriages and mid cycle pain.

littlepeas Wed 07-Feb-18 16:56:08

My cycle is shorter, have lighter periods that go on for longer! I pretty much ovulate the day after my period finishes!! Been the same for ages, so think it's a permanent change.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: