Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - Ill son

(6 Posts)
Babyroobs Wed 07-Feb-18 10:33:33

18 year old ds has recently started a new job, zero hours contract, has worked there about two weeks. He is conscientious and hard working. Yesterday he came down with what I can only think is flu- high temperature, aching all over, literally did not get out of bed all day or eat anything at all. He had to ring in sick of course. He is due in again today and when he rang to say he was still ill she has pressurised him to do a shorter shift as " she was on her own for 14 hours yesterday "( pub/ restaurant type place).
AIBU to think she is totally out of order to put pressure on an 18 year old like this and irresponsible to put other customers at risk. Surely they have temporary/ relief staff they can call on ? I compiled another text for him to send stating that he was too ill to come to work and expressing concern at putting others at risk, but he won't send it for fear of losing his job I think. I doubt he could drive to get there let alone do a shift behind a bar.

Babyroobs Wed 07-Feb-18 10:34:25

Sorry I meant to say his employer ( she sounds very rude). Sorry.

BertrandRussell Wed 07-Feb-18 10:36:27

It's not good-but I'm afraid that's how things are nowadays. sad

19lottie82 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:36:49

I think you have to get him to call them again (NOT text) and tell them he is very ill and won’t be in for at least a week, and he can get a doctors note if they like.

He might lose his job, yes, but on the other side of the coin, he might if he doesn’t contact them. I don’t think there’s much else he can do here.

19lottie82 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:43:26

PS I worked in that industry for years and the reality is a lot of workers (esp teenagers) pull sickies when they’re not genuinely ill. Your son needs to make sure that they understand that he is, and give them a realistic date of when they can expect him back.

Babyroobs Wed 07-Feb-18 12:30:51

19 Lottie - Yes I understand that , I just feel bad for him because he genuinely is really conscientious and never misses a day ( and doesn't get paid if he does ring in sick ). He is never sick despite eating a dreadful diet ( despite my best efforts to feed him healthy stuff) and burning the candle at both ends ! His last job was outdoors in all weathers through most of the winter without so much as a sniffle !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now