Talk

Advanced search

Discussion with teacher today on 5 year old's inconsistent effort

(9 Posts)
user1471524923 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:22:35

Not an AIBU thread but posting here for traffic:

Hello All,

I went in to drop my 5 year old DC in school today and the teacher asked if I could have a discussion after school today with her to discuss about my DC. DC is in Key Stage 1, year 2.

Teacher hinted that she plans to send in a mid year school report and my DC is tracking below expectation. According to the teacher my DC has an inconsistent effort for the past 3 weeks and sometimes refuses to perform tasks in class.

I am happy that at least the teacher is mentioning this but I am surprised that she plans to grade my DC for a 4 month period over a 3 week attitude. I am also really disappointed that the teacher did not even mention this attitude for 3 good weeks. My DC attends a private school and I expect that any deviation in behaviour to this extent needneeds to be escalated and reported as soon as it is noticed.

What do you think about this discussion I should be having in about 2 hours time? Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, what was your approach and outcome? I do not think anything major has happened in the past 3 weeks so I don't see where this is coming From. Could their be an underlying medical condition. FWIW, my DC has 2 episodes of forgetting things in school about 4 weeks ago.

Please note that I want the best for my child and will not appreciate any conflict with the teacher as I do not think that approach will yield any positive outcome for my DC.

Thanks

StarUtopia Wed 07-Feb-18 10:27:33

How can a 5 yr old be in Year 2? Year 2 kids are 6 to 7...

Regardless...she has mentioned it pretty quickly. It's been a sustained 3 weeks. She's given the child a chance. If teachers reported every child every time they lacked effort, that's all they would do. Why would you think a medical condition? Is there anything else for you to suspect this?

LIZS Wed 07-Feb-18 10:30:48

Surely a 5yo would be year 1 not 2? It seems early to assume there is a problem if this is a change in behaviour, but it might be worth having sight and hearing checked. dd had glue ear at that age and it is not uncommon. As far as classwork is concerned are the expectations and instructions clear, what prompts given (maybe visual rather than written) and support for those who need guidance. Is there any particular work or activity he is resistant to? Does he react well to home work?

AppleKatie Wed 07-Feb-18 10:34:53

She’s mentioning it now before the mid year grades - that is the very good and certainly the earliest you could expect it to be mentioned.
There is a private school parent obsession with ‘why wasn’t I told earlier’. The fact the teacher didn’t mention it to you before she was sure the behaviour was an actual pattern does not make the behaviour itself immaterial to the discussion.

Mookatron Wed 07-Feb-18 10:36:42

The grade really - like, really - doesn't matter at this stage. But the fact that your DC is not trying does. I think it is good that the teacher has highlighted this to you. It means you can get to the bottom of whatever the problem is. It suggests to me that your DC is not happy about something and perhaps you should be asking questions about the social stuff that's going on in the class if you're sure there's nothing going on at home. Otherwise I find my kids are HORRENDOUS just before some big developmental leap.

That said, if you're in the UK (and I'm not sure you are) this term is a killer and we're coming up for half term. Maybe making sure half term is fun an relaxing will just sort 'em out.

user1471524923 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:44:51

Hello All,

I did not mention that I am in the Netherlands and kids start school at age 4. So my DC is in group 2. I hope it makes sense.

meredintofpandiculation Wed 07-Feb-18 10:46:11

According to the teacher my DC has an inconsistent effort for the past 3 weeks and sometimes refuses to perform tasks in class Wow! She's 5! In a lot of countries she wouldn't even start school till 6. What are we doing to our children?

meredintofpandiculation Wed 07-Feb-18 10:48:09

Ah - cross post. Even so, 5 is young. I'd be making sure there wasn't any underlying unhappiness or illness, then stepping back and not worrying too much.

chickenowner Wed 07-Feb-18 10:49:16

I'm a teacher in the UK and was just about to type a response but I see that you're overseas and in a Dutch school I think? (ie not a British International School).

I don't really feel able to comment on education policy in the Netherlands.

Maybe find a Dutch education or parents site?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: