Talk

Advanced search

To call to all: You have less than a month. Please act now to protect women's rights

(415 Posts)
AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Wed 07-Feb-18 09:31:08

The Scottish Government's consultation on changes to the GRA closes on 1st March 2018.

The rest of the UK will likely follow Scotland's decision, so this is your chance to make your views known.

For those who don't yet understand the risks to women from changes to the Gender Recognition Act, please read this document. It is pretty straightforward

leyaterra.wordpress.com/2018/02/06/gender-the-gra-and-womens-rights/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Then please complete the Scottish Government's consultation.

You do NOT have to be Scottish or live in Scotland to complete it.

consult.gov.scot/family-law/review-of-the-gender-recognition-act-2004/

The brilliant Dr Nic Williams wrote a guide to the consultation

fairplayforwomen.com/scottish-consultation/

PLEASE complete it and pass to friends/family

C0ldF33t Wed 07-Feb-18 10:44:01

Thanks OP!

ladyballs Wed 07-Feb-18 10:46:32

Thanks

SwanVests Wed 07-Feb-18 10:58:52

Thank you op. I’ve filled it in. I don’t often post on feminism boards. I’m not brave enough to voice my opinion in public about these things for fear I’ll be branded a bigot.

I have a daughter who is 13 and very much into athletics. She competes at a county level and there are a couple very obvious males that she is competing against that just destroy the hopes of her and the other girls she is competing against. She is 13 ffs.

I’m not particularly articulate or well informed when it comes to things like this. But I’ve been reading the feminism boards or a few months and I’m in awe of how much you lot are all doing flowers.

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Wed 07-Feb-18 11:07:05

Thanks for replying. If you need help, post your questions on here or on on the feminist board.

OfDragonsDeep Wed 07-Feb-18 11:07:43

Done

RumDo Wed 07-Feb-18 11:38:03

Completed, thank you OP.

leyat Wed 07-Feb-18 11:40:36

I wrote the leyaterrawordpress doc and am watching this thread and if anyone has any questions I will do all I can to answer them; and thanks OP for the post!

The more who respond the better, most often the government judges responses based on the % saying x, y and z, so the more individual responses the more chance we have of an impact; hopefully we will make them think twice.

SwanVests I am heartbroken for your daughter. Athletics at school was so important for girls like me, it was a pretty disadvantaged school and competitive sports provided so much for us. Not that it's only kids from poorer backgrounds that benefit, all kids do, but they don't care at all about the impact this is having on girls in any way , and all for what - to uphold gender stereotypes(!). Makes me so angry. I wanted to cover more in my post, it was originally 1500 words longer which was crazy so I had to cut a lot out, but it was that long because the Scottish govt has not done anything to understand the impact currently, let alone the impact of further changes, and there's just so much to raise with them it's unreal.

Throughtheforest Wed 07-Feb-18 11:40:53

This proposed legislation makes the SNP look like a basket case, in my view.

Reluctant2ndtimer Wed 07-Feb-18 11:42:02

I’m trying my best to fill it in but I just don’t really feel intelligent and articulate enough to put my concerns and fears across. I really do sympathise with people genuinely body/gender disphoric or whatever the word is, but I think this gender issue is going to become an epidemic of unhappy damaged (physically and mentally) teenagers and young people.

Soubriquet Wed 07-Feb-18 11:42:55

Done

Throughtheforest Wed 07-Feb-18 11:44:41

SwanVests - what happens when you complain to whoever is in charge of the athletics competitions your dd takes part in? Won't allowing trans boy to girls to compete in these competitions soon have the effect that only the trans kids bother to compete? That would make a mockery of UK athletics. Would your dd's school be prepared to lodge a concern?

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Wed 07-Feb-18 11:54:14

Leyat

It's a beautifully written, precise piece. Thanks for writing it

LifeBeginsAtGin Wed 07-Feb-18 12:01:36

Done. But as others have said I couldn't fully follow the information. The way the questions are worded can be misleading if you don't read it all.

I hope I have signed correctly.

NewYearNiki Wed 07-Feb-18 12:07:00

Has anyone noticed their arent nearly as many women queuing up to be identified as a man?

Elendon Wed 07-Feb-18 12:07:14

Done!

SwanVests Wed 07-Feb-18 12:11:36

Sorry, didn’t mean to derail thread. I’ll post about my dd in feminism topic. Thanks again for the link.

TopBitchoftheWitches Wed 07-Feb-18 12:31:40

Done

needtogiveitablow Wed 07-Feb-18 12:35:06

I am shocked that one of the questions is should gender change stop being classed as grounds for divorce?! (In so many words anyway). Why should someone be forced to stay married to someone if that person has opted to become someone else?! I feel like I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole confused

EmpressOfJurisfiction Wed 07-Feb-18 12:35:53

Done.

MammaSchwifty Wed 07-Feb-18 12:41:46

Marking so I can look when I've more time

Srumtish Wed 07-Feb-18 12:42:36

I am shocked that one of the questions is should gender change stop being classed as grounds for divorce?! (In so many words anyway

Yes, I know you thought you were in a heterosexual relationship for twenty years but actually you're a lesbian. And no you can't get a divorce, you bigot.

Sure you've "identified" as a gay man for decades and fought for gay rights but you're a straight man now. Tadah!

Ridiculous. Won't mention lesbians or straight men as I haven't heard of any women having midlife gender crises, funny enough. hmm

Maryz Wed 07-Feb-18 12:42:51

I have tried to do this a few times now and given up in frustration. Most of the questions make no sense to me whatsoever; I keep wanting to yell "you mean sex, ffs" [sigh]

I will read Leyat's piece and try again.

flowers for your dd, Swan; it's so unfair.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Wed 07-Feb-18 12:43:57

I have a daughter at an all girls school and no one seems able to adequately answer how this will affect them

Throughtheforest Wed 07-Feb-18 12:49:55

There are lots of young girls identifiying as boys, apparently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now