Talk

Advanced search

Gideon Bibles in school

(110 Posts)
BusyBeez99 Tue 06-Feb-18 21:29:15

DS12 came home with a bible today presented by the Gideons. It's New Testament and Psalms. Why are school children getting free bibles and who is paying for them?

My AIBU is why aren't they giving out other faith books .... or, from an atheist viewpoint (me) , why are they giving them out at all?

HouseOfGingerbread Tue 06-Feb-18 21:31:22

The Gideon Society themselves pay for them. As evangelists go, they're pretty harmless.

RoseAndRose Tue 06-Feb-18 21:31:42

You'd need to ask the school why they chose to accept the offer.

I don't know what organisations exist to provide other books. Perhaps it is they who need to become more active?

meredintofpandiculation Tue 06-Feb-18 21:31:53

Because the Gideons are a Christian group whose aim is to ensure that a Bible should be available to give succour to anyone that needs it. I didn't know they were giving them out in schools. Their aim used to be to get one into every hotel room - it was always in the top drawer of the bedside table. I don't know where they get their money from.

HouseOfGingerbread Tue 06-Feb-18 21:32:24

I took to reading my Gideon's bible daily as a teen but I'm now a happy atheist.

Cauliflowersqueeze Tue 06-Feb-18 21:34:48

They ask schools.
I said no this year - they weren’t hugely happy about it.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Tue 06-Feb-18 21:34:54

I got one of these in my first year at high school 20 years ago, as did DH (different schools - one Catholic, one CofE). Are they still the small red ones?

I think it was partly so we'd have no excuse for not having one in RE lessons.

HouseOfGingerbread Tue 06-Feb-18 21:35:37

The highlight of our Gideon's visit was when Mr Gideon's said "...and is there anyone here called Gideon?" Gideon J put his hand up and Mr Gideon's looked most crestfallen. "That's never happened before." Evidently he had a whole spiel about Gideon being a never-used name.

welcomehome Tue 06-Feb-18 21:36:23

Just Googled. Apparently Gideon bibles are funded by membership dues and donations. Mostly in the US.

inkandstone Tue 06-Feb-18 21:36:52

I think they've always done this. I remember getting one in my second year of senior school in 1982.

meredintofpandiculation Tue 06-Feb-18 21:39:59

I got a New Testament when I left senior school, but I thought that was from the school itself. It went to a charity shop many years ago, so I can't check.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Tue 06-Feb-18 21:40:23

Ahh many a happy RE lesson spent going through the OT to try and find the most ridiculous rule you could.

I'm atheist (if I have to have a label) but there's still some interesting stories in the bible. The loaves and the fishes was taught to us as 'evidence' of Jesus performing miracles, but it's a story about greed and charity, IMO.

Tistheseason17 Tue 06-Feb-18 21:41:00

YANBU. Another atheist here. They don't hand out books on evolution for free....

ninecoronas Tue 06-Feb-18 21:42:46

We were given them at school 20 years ago too. As I recall we used them as rolling papers blush tiny thin pages they had!

InToMyHeart Tue 06-Feb-18 21:43:29

I remember getting one when I was at school and thinking it was bizarre. I went to a normal (ie not a faith) school. I would have preferred to have been given a science textbook but there you go.
If it bothers you throw it in the bin. I agree it is weird and outdated but it isn't going to contaminate your son and turn him religious! wink

CaptainKirkssparetupee Tue 06-Feb-18 21:44:46

Love these, I used to pretend mine was Hong Kong phooey's little book of kung fury....

I was a strange child.

TarragonChicken Tue 06-Feb-18 21:45:09

Tistheseason, there isn't anything to stop you setting up a foundation to provide free books on evolution!smile

Abracadabraapileofbollocks Tue 06-Feb-18 21:46:03

I'd happily donate to a charity doing that tistheseason. Especially in states in the us that allow teaching creation.

thecraftyfox Tue 06-Feb-18 21:47:14

I remember when we got them at our comprehensive school in 1991. We entertained ourselves reading all the names of Jesus' ancestors and chosing the silliest sounding to us. Not many of those come up on the baby name threads!

BusyBeez99 Tue 06-Feb-18 21:48:04

Yes still small and red

It's going in the spare bedroom drawer like a hotel room ha ha

DS didn't offer much information just 'some bloke handed them out in assembly'. No harm done I suppose. Waste of money though on their part

ohthelights Tue 06-Feb-18 21:49:50

Oh they've been doing that forever. I got one in the 90s, and my mum got one in the 70s.

Goldenbug Tue 06-Feb-18 21:49:50

They were very popular with prisoners for a while. Until they found out they were being smoked.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Tue 06-Feb-18 21:50:09

My brother burnt his

VikingVolva Tue 06-Feb-18 21:59:17

"They don't hand out books on evolution for free...."

Opportunity there for you to build the organisation that's needed

iklboo Tue 06-Feb-18 22:01:30

I tried to refuse mine at school but they wouldn't let me - and I had to get my parents to sign a note saying I'd taken it home. It just got chucked in a drawer.

When DS's school offered them we politely declined.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: