Talk

Advanced search

Mussels!

(17 Posts)
mogulfield Tue 06-Feb-18 18:35:47

My DH has just served a fish pie with mussels in it... I enquired as to how he’d defrosted the mussels as I’m 38 weeks pregnant and aware of how tricky they can be. He says he defrosted them in boiling water... my midwife said not to do this.
Aibu not to eat it? He says I’m being ridiculous. (I’ve been quite relaxed about other foods but don’t want to risk it!)
If I’m worried he says I should eat the rest and pick them out, but couldn’t they have contaminated it? Willing to be told I’m being rediculous because it looks bloody lovely.

dementedpixie Tue 06-Feb-18 18:39:43

It means they would have defrosted quickly i suppose. What do you think the rest of the meal will have been contaminated with?

extinctspecies Tue 06-Feb-18 18:39:52

Presumably the fish pie was cooked in the oven after mussels were defrosted?

Should be fine as long as everything is hot.

Ridiculous. (Sorry, just come over from the spelling thread).

PissedOffNeighbour Tue 06-Feb-18 18:39:58

What is issue with boiling them?

ibuiltahomeforyou Tue 06-Feb-18 18:40:50

It's fine as it will have been thoroughly cooked in the oven, don't worry!

TeddyIsaHe Tue 06-Feb-18 18:41:36

Absolutely fine, you just can’t have raw mussels.

mogulfield Tue 06-Feb-18 18:49:59

Thanks for your replies, this is reassuring! She said not to put in boiling water as at this temp the bacteria multiplies. She is cautious by nature though.

TeddyIsaHe Mon 12-Feb-18 09:38:06

Bacteria can’t survive in boiling water. You need a new midwife if that’s the advice she’s peddling!

NewYearNiki Mon 12-Feb-18 11:04:34

Yabu to eat mussels at all. Fishy chewy lumps

They're vile

agbnb Mon 12-Feb-18 11:14:26

Um, surely from a food hygiene POV it's better that they went from frozen to in boiling water?
Are you quite sure you understood what she meant? (I'm not saying you're wrong about her advice, but it's contrary to bacteria breeding advice wrt allowing warm moist food to sit for long because it's an ideal breeding environment for germ division... hence I think you should check - you either misheard or she's utterly wrong.)

GrannyGrissle Mon 12-Feb-18 11:18:42

YDH is being VU. Mussels are the vaginas of the sea. How can anyone eat them?

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 12-Feb-18 11:20:48

Surely there would only be a risk of food poisoning if the defrosted mussels were left to slowly cool down over several hours afterwards? If they were put straight in the pie and straight in the oven, they will be fine.

I also know someone who was told not to defrost seafood in boiling water on a food safety course. However, it's been the standard method in our family for decades and not done anyone any harm.

NewYearNiki Mon 12-Feb-18 11:21:50

Mussels are the vaginas of the sea. How can anyone eat them?

😂😂😂😂😂😂

That's awesome. Will remember that.

bridgetreilly Mon 12-Feb-18 12:14:56

I used to love mussels, but ever since I had a bad one over 20 years ago, they make me sick. I would be pretty cautious about them if you're pregnant, tbh.

LuxuryMilk Mon 12-Feb-18 12:18:48

I th8nk the bigger problem here is that your DH put mussels in a fish pie 🤮

SweetMoon Mon 12-Feb-18 12:21:52

You'll fine if they are cooked in the pie. And they were defrosted quickly and straight in. No idea what your midwife is on about not putting them in boiling water!

CrabappleBiscuit Mon 12-Feb-18 12:22:35

I think the midwife is right www.aboutseafood.com/resource/thawing/

But if they've been cooked in a pie should be fine. I just wouldn't thaw them that way then leave out as tapas

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: