Talk

Advanced search

To think this seems like a lot...

(18 Posts)
ThisLittleKitty Tue 06-Feb-18 14:41:57

I topped up my gas meter on Friday night. By this morning it had gone. The top up was £18 aibu on thinking that went really quick or does it sound about right?

DerelictWreck Tue 06-Feb-18 14:45:00

Depends how big your house is, what you use gas for, how many people etc.

For what it's worth I've a 2 bedroom flat, live alone, cook with gas and spend about £20/£25 a month

ThisLittleKitty Tue 06-Feb-18 14:46:07

Hmm it's a 3 bed house and 5 of us.

egginacup Tue 06-Feb-18 14:52:14

Was there any outstanding debt? I moved into a house with a gas meter and the first few times I topped up it took about 70% of the money for an outstanding bill- presumably when the previous tenant had used emergency credit. You can call them to check.

Graphista Tue 06-Feb-18 15:01:05

Who are you with? (Think I can guess)

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 06-Feb-18 15:08:11

It might seem like a lot, but it's cold, so if your heating's been on over the weekend, it isn't very efficient and you are on an expensive tarrif, it might be right unfortunately.

I base this on observing DMs smart meter thing, which tells her she uses £3/4 a day in a 3 bed semi, with good insulation, efficient boiler, cheap tariff and heating on quite low.

Look at Moneysavingexpert's advice on keeping costs down with prepay. Can you convert to a normal meter and pay by direct debit, which will be cheaper? Can you switch supplier even if you have to stay on prepay? Apparently, your landlord must let you switch suppliers, so don't let them tell you otherwise.

needmysleep75 Tue 06-Feb-18 15:32:08

Last month so I used £90 of gas, 3 bed house gas central heating, hot water and hob. So that is around £3 a day, I only have thermostat set to 16 during day and 18 after 5pm though. If you have your house warmer and depending on the tariff you are on it could be about right.

ThisLittleKitty Tue 06-Feb-18 18:57:25

I am with utilita, the sales person actually told me they were the cheapest? My house is very cold so heating is on quite abit. No previous debt that I am aware of.

Graphista Tue 06-Feb-18 19:47:46

I KNEW it would be utilita. They're shite. Have been fined several times for overcharging etc.

livingthegoodlife Tue 06-Feb-18 19:49:54

I have a smart meter. I spend about £10 a day. 4 bed house.

UpstartCrow Tue 06-Feb-18 19:52:16

I pay £20 a month by Direct Debit, for a 2 bed house with a new combi boiler, gas ch and shower. We have double glazing and a lot of loft insulation, and I keep the curtains shut in winter.
The thermostat is at 19 - 20 during the day and 18 at night.

Lilsurfdude Tue 06-Feb-18 19:54:26

Everything will be on the IHD. You need to change the targets in the settings menu aswell or you'll be using too much. You can see when you used it by going to history press KwH to change it to cost then press hours so it changes to day. It will tell you the most you have spent in the past eight days

Afreshcuppateaplease Tue 06-Feb-18 19:56:21

Ive been spending up to £10 a day too. Trying to get it down after a monster bill

BrazzleDazzleDay Tue 06-Feb-18 20:06:18

I've used £16.99 since the first, 3 bed semi and im a cold fecker so have the heating on for several hours a day.

Thesmallthings Tue 06-Feb-18 20:12:00

I'm with utilia and iv found it the best. I have a 2 bedroom flat and I'm the top one. I tend to use about 10 a week at the moment. I have air hole vents in every room to that can't be plugged up for some reason to. I tend to use the heating on for a hour button, mybtumble dryer also works at heating the place to.

Depends how often you have rthe heating on I guess.
We're also used to it being bareable.. not warm if that makes sence so when we put the heating on is just to take the chill away.

Dipitydoda Tue 06-Feb-18 20:14:27

Smart meter here. Old house crap insulation old boiler (to be replaced next week hooray). Average about £7 a day in 3 bed

Thesmallthings Tue 06-Feb-18 20:17:35

Can you turn the radiators if in rooms that you don't use very often? That'll help lower the amount to.

laura65988 Wed 07-Feb-18 12:22:31

I'm with utilta and I love them I'm a 3 bedrooms n 5 people I put anywhere between 15 and 20 in and it can last up to a fortnyt sounds like u have debt on machine I did at start n it used all my money up I have my heating on alot phone up n get meter cleared x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: