Talk

Advanced search

HOBBY

(97 Posts)
InspMorse Tue 06-Feb-18 11:44:57

DH's 'HOBBY', my HOBBY, DC's HOBBY...
AIBU to feel irrational rage when I read this? Just tell us what the activity is FGS. angry

UnimaginativeUsername Tue 06-Feb-18 11:47:52

Just substitute cycling for the oh so identifying hobby. Most of us do.

Skiiltan Tue 06-Feb-18 11:48:01

I would guess at golf, masturbation and strangling animals.

TheCatOfAthenry Tue 06-Feb-18 11:48:22

I actually really hated the word even before all the secrecy.

PinkHeart5914 Tue 06-Feb-18 11:49:29

Like anyone has ever been identified becuase they said that the dh like to play golf, cycle or paint little plastic models

BellMcEnd Tue 06-Feb-18 11:49:39

It drives me BATSHIT. I can’t even begin to explain how annoying I find it.

I’m guessing wanking?

NerrSnerr Tue 06-Feb-18 11:51:30

Everyone thinks they’re so unique with their hobbies even though it’s usually cycling, martial arts, running or similar.

OutyMcOutface Tue 06-Feb-18 11:52:05

I just find the concept of a hobby a bit weird-I mean I have interests. I devote time to them. But the word hobby just doesn't seem to apply. I wouldn't call any of them hobbies. Playing golf definitely isn't a hobby for example. WTF does it actually mean?

falsepriest Tue 06-Feb-18 11:52:19

But it's "outing", as the OP is the only person in the country that likes to go fishing, or owns a drone, buys jigsaws, or whatever.

UnimaginativeUsername Tue 06-Feb-18 11:52:29

Or, for a laugh, substitute digging for the DH’s secret hobby. Like the letter in the guardian this week.

That’ll make the thread much more fun.

Abracadabraapileofbollocks Tue 06-Feb-18 11:53:17

But it doesn't matter! The problem isn't the war games figurine painting. It's often the obsession or commitment the person is putting in and not to family or relationships or prioritisung money etc.

UnimaginativeUsername Tue 06-Feb-18 11:53:19

Dogging. Autocorrect doesn’t approve of dogging it appears.

jemjemjem50 Tue 06-Feb-18 11:53:32

strangling animals

gringringringrin

I am going to use this as a substitute for hobby FOREVER

Skiiltan Tue 06-Feb-18 11:53:34

UnimaginativeUsername Funny, I thought that letter was about dogging.

UnimaginativeUsername Tue 06-Feb-18 11:54:09

It might matter. I’m sure the wife in that guardian letter would care that the hobby was dogging rather than cycling or whatever he’s been pretending he’s been doing for the last 8 years.

UnimaginativeUsername Tue 06-Feb-18 11:54:41

I think digging would be a better hobby than dogging.

Skiiltan Tue 06-Feb-18 11:56:21

I think digging would be a better hobby than dogging.

That depends on whether you have a garden.

InspMorse Tue 06-Feb-18 11:57:29

It drives me BATSHIT. I can’t even begin to explain how annoying I find it.
^ Sums it up! I actually feel angry.
Unless it's unspeakably dirty or illegal, just tell us the activity!

A lifetime ban should be mandatory for anyone who does this.

LightDrizzle Tue 06-Feb-18 11:58:37

It is weird to read isn’t it? I don’t think I’ve thought in terms of hobbies since primary age when we were sometimes required to write about our hobbies in English or to pen pals. I think we more commonly refer to interests, if at all, rather than hobbies once we are adult.

However I suppose it is a valid all encompassing term to use on a forum, although I don’t know why more people don’t just specify sewing/painting/cycling/hockey as they surely would in real life. It’s hardly identifying. “DH goes cycling two nights a week and Sunday mornings...” would appear to encompass thousand of families in the UK, “...does his hobby” always puts me in mind of Airfix models, stamp collecting or train spotting; the hobbies of the 70s!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 06-Feb-18 12:01:24

MN hobbies are usually cycling, golf or football training,
but every time I read 'hobby' I imagine the husband doing full and detailed reenactment of Waterloo with tiny handpainted plastic figures. In a shed.

InspMorse Tue 06-Feb-18 12:01:41

The thing is, using the word 'hobby' actually makes it sound a bit grim grin grin
If my DH started announcing he was off out to partake in his 'hobby' I'd be a bit hmm

ephemeralfairy Tue 06-Feb-18 12:02:14

In my head hobbies are weird things that anti-social closeted types grunt over in their back bedrooms: painting orcs, making reborn dolls (same thing I suppose), things to do with remodelling cars, polishing obscure medals, making little aeroplanes that will never be played with etc etc.
Cycling/running/swimming etc aren't hobbies, they're sports.

babyccinoo Tue 06-Feb-18 12:05:17

DH's 'HOBBY', my HOBBY, DC's HOBBY...

Not bothered by the hubby hobby secrecy, I'm usually more annoyed when they don't use an apostrophe grin e.g. DH hobby, DC hobby etc

ShutYoFace Tue 06-Feb-18 12:09:33

I actually feel angry

Then maybe you need a hobby.

InspMorse Tue 06-Feb-18 12:16:41

ShutYoFace
grin Perhaps you're right. Maybe I'm subconsciously jealous of all these mysterious hobbies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: