Talk

Advanced search

Crime details - why are some people so obsessed?

(36 Posts)
k2p2k2tog Tue 06-Feb-18 09:31:40

Not a TAAT but related to the James Bulger stuff.

What appeals to people in knowing the ins and outs and every minute detail of high-profile cases? I don't get the appeal at all - I like watching crime drama and take an interest in the news as much as the next person, but the interest in is in the process, working out whodunnit if it's a murder mystery on telly, seeing the process of prosecuting the person through the court if it's on telly.

I just don't understand what anyone - who has no connection whatsoever to a case - would hunt out salacious details on the internet about exactly what a perpetrator did to their victim in gruesome pages of details. What do you gain from knowing all that? It's just like those awful books detailing over 300 pages an abusive childhood going into huge detail about what was done to the author and by whom.

It's all very strange.

Emabrmsca Tue 06-Feb-18 10:05:31

I think because naturally we are inquisitive but also because I think it, sort of, helps us to understand what the victim went through. Even though you would never fully understand unless you are the victim, but it's the closest you will get to understanding. I don't know if that makes sense.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 06-Feb-18 10:10:03

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. There is a huge, worldly, difference between for example claiming a man assaulted a woman by grabbing her arm and him penetrating her against her wishes.

Details matter.

There will always be some sick fucks that get off on the minutiae of such cases, but in the main, these sorts of details do matter.

thenightsky Tue 06-Feb-18 10:11:22

I knew this would be about the JB threads. I started to read one last night and had to leave as it was upsetting me too much. I've therefore not opened any of the other threads on this subject.

PinkHeart5914 Tue 06-Feb-18 10:11:58

I think it’s just being human, to want to know things and be inquisitive.

Jenna43 Tue 06-Feb-18 10:13:34

I don't think it's strange. Some people can cope with the details, some can't.

WhatCanIDoNowPlease Tue 06-Feb-18 10:14:59

For some people, if you don't know the details you are left wondering. And if you do know the details you have a kind of closure.

There are terrible crimes around, but those still here have to process it in such a way as to continue to live their life without being overshadowed by them.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 06-Feb-18 10:16:39

It's up to those who do it!

Not your thing? Fine. Move on and find something you are interested in then! hmm

k2p2k2tog Tue 06-Feb-18 10:20:26

It's not that I am a delicate flower who can't cope with the details - far from it. I just don't see how in many cases it benefits us to know.

A press or TV report might say "a violent and sustained assault which left the victim requiring 50 stitches". That is enough detail to tell you exactly what sort of crime it was. I don;t get the need to then go to reports and pictures of the victim's injuries, read the medical reports, discuss the type of weapon, the length of time it took, etc etc etc.

Estellanpip Tue 06-Feb-18 10:25:26

Some people are morbid. Some people feel the need to know the worst of it so that the wondering doesn't play on their minds. I think they need counselling.

Rebeccaslicker Tue 06-Feb-18 10:27:04

There's a lot of armchair detectives, Op. the internet makes that much worse. I've had to hide friends on Facebook because they are so convinced they know what happened to madeleine McCann. It's like they're so bothered about being right that they want her to be found dead!

UpstartCrow Tue 06-Feb-18 10:33:25

Its a blood sport.
I can cope with the details, I dont think they should be up for discussion in minute detail on a forum like this. Go read a crime report and stop trying to pretend its for your understanding, it isnt. If it was then people would understand why they obsess over the details.

Sarahjconnor Tue 06-Feb-18 10:35:24

From a psychological point of view we look closely at dead/murder etc as a protective mechanism. By studying and understanding we can avoid it happening to us - crudely put. Animals do it too - crows study a dead crow for hours.

Jenna43 Tue 06-Feb-18 10:41:20

It's not that I am a delicate flower who can't cope with the details - far from it. I just don't see how in many cases it benefits us to know

I didn't for a minute mean you were a delicate flower. I just meant that some people can cope with awful information more than others. For example, recently my DP and I watched the documentary West Memphis Three, there's some pretty grim real-life footage within the first 5 minutes...my DP said "nope, can't watch it, I'm done" so I watched it alone. Both perfectly normal reactions I think.

PeterPiperPickedSeaShells Tue 06-Feb-18 10:43:57

I agree with a PP, I think it's a way we can pretend to ourselves that it couldn't happen to us. We are able to see what happened & tell ourselves that "I wouldn't put myself in that position" or "I could have avoided that". It helps us feel safer

sallyarmy1 Tue 06-Feb-18 10:44:23

I don't understand people that don't want to know every single detail that is available.

Each to their own.

tillytrotter1 Tue 06-Feb-18 10:49:49

Some people seem to need to know every detail of everything, they're probably the sort of person who finds it 'necessary' to photograph and publish on the internet the boring minutae of their lives. They all deserve each other!

k2p2k2tog Tue 06-Feb-18 10:52:58

I can also understand - perhaps - that people might feel safer by understanding why X, Y or Z happened and then avoiding that situation but the sort of terrible crimes which get the most publicity are SO unusual and so unlikely to ever happen that it seems a bit pointless.

I wonder if there's a crossover between the people who search out details, write long posts on forums with "theories" and people who are overprotective and think there's a paedophile lurking around every corner? I think there probably is.

SchoolMoney Tue 06-Feb-18 10:52:58

I agree with Sarahj. It's that and an element of 'what the help went wrong that caused such an awful thing to happen, is there any way I can make sure it doesn't happen to me or mine'.

Ginkypig Tue 06-Feb-18 11:46:54

For some people it nosiness in the same way that you crane your neck to stare at for example a car accident as you drive past. in the way people read about celebrities. The brain reacts in the same way as say being on a rollercoaster.

For others I think it's about immersing yourself in the detail to enforce an impact that can never ever be forgotten so that it matters forever. They feel the need to make sure that it doesn't dissipate over the future years.

TheCatOfAthenry Tue 06-Feb-18 11:53:50

I'm interested as a doctor. There's a big difference between 50 stitches for a knife wound and 50 for skin splitting under sustained pressure from the side of a heavy object.

As a psychiatrist, I'm interested in the psychology of the victim and perpetrator.

As a human, curiosity is, well, human. Forensics are fascinating. Beats rugby any day.

TheCatOfAthenry Tue 06-Feb-18 11:54:09

From.

Bloody autocorrect

DustyMaiden Tue 06-Feb-18 11:54:43

I'm a delicate flower and can't cope with it.

I once employed a nanny for my DC, she was lovely. One day she asked me to get something from her wardrobe. It was full of true crime magazines and books. They detailed all of the most infamous serial killers and their crimes in gory detail.
I spoke to my therapist about it and she said i quite often lovely people are fascinated with that type of thing because it is so far removed from anything they can understand.

Cracker09jacker Tue 06-Feb-18 15:31:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

laura65988 Wed 07-Feb-18 13:00:28

I'm obsessed with true crime especially American ones it teaches u the dangerc of the world I don't search for it but I like the mystery ones with people disappearing and never been seen again were did they go are they alive and thing is police don't investigate as in America no body no case there laws are crazy if a teen goed missing they are a runaway but they turn up dead it's just fascinating to me there's also ones that teach u about the bad things that can happen on the internet with teens n adults alike gd to no the dangers esp for kids it's not for everyone but I prefer it to the made up stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now