Talk

Advanced search

How did you lose YOUR beautiful hair?

(70 Posts)
WingsOnMyBoots Mon 05-Feb-18 18:01:05

People would always comment on my hair, naturally thick, very long and dark brown. I never really appreciated in and always wanted to be blonde but now my hair is not so long, not so thick and coloured completely from a bottle (cry!) I look back with wistful nostalgia. So, yes, basically in my case it was AGE that took my hair away!

DavidBowiesNumber1 Mon 05-Feb-18 18:04:37

Three months of chemotherapy

HicDraconis Mon 05-Feb-18 18:10:38

I shaved my head when one of my closest friends was undergoing chemotherapy. She had a buzz cut before she started chemo - and had the most amazing thick, long, straight, swishy gorgeous hair beforehand. We share a hobby and everyone in the hobby group shaved their heads in solidarity with her. I know others don’t agree with things like “Brave the Shave” but we did it for her not them. She said it was one of the things that helped her get through it. Our hobby group is like a second family smile

She has a lovely thick head of curls now, mine didn’t grow back nearly as well!

Olgathebrickshed Mon 05-Feb-18 18:11:48

Pregnancy did for mine...

UsernameInvalid66 Mon 05-Feb-18 18:15:20

I used to have very curly hair - I'd forgotten quite how curly until I came across an old photo of me in my teens recently. It was practically an afro (I'm not black). Nowadays it's wavy, maybe kind of curly on a good day if I've had time to let it dry entirely naturally. I'd kill for those super tight curls again! I think the biggest change came after DS1 was born although I've also worn my hair longer for most of my adulthood and that probably pulls it out a bit straighter.

Minxmumma Mon 05-Feb-18 18:19:02

2 rounds of cancer, 3 months of chemo and it's never come back properly.
My lovely thick red hair is no more.
Despite moving on from everything else on bad days the mirror provides a daily slap in the face that bring tears

Homemenu1 Mon 05-Feb-18 18:27:21

Stress and age have made my hair thin and lank

Annabelle4 Mon 05-Feb-18 18:30:15

Mine began to fall out after pregnancy and never really recovered

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 05-Feb-18 18:31:14

Pregnancy. Brittle, frizzy and thin. Oh well!

Nizuc Mon 05-Feb-18 18:32:25

Breast Cancer

Katedotness1963 Mon 05-Feb-18 18:32:39

Pregnancy. The books said it would thin for a while and then thicken again. It thinned okay, never thickened...

megletthesecond Mon 05-Feb-18 18:33:33

My 40's and probably peri-menopause.

SoFancy Mon 05-Feb-18 18:34:44

Age, stress, hormones...

CanIhavedessertfirst Mon 05-Feb-18 18:38:20

Pregnancy! It's been thin ever since having my youngest.

LuckyLuckyWoman Mon 05-Feb-18 18:39:15

agesad My thick curly long brown hair is now completely white bottle brown, medium length, frizzy mess. Straightened to within an inch of it's life. Contemplating getting it all cut off, but the texture of it scares me.

KalaLaka Mon 05-Feb-18 18:39:45

Babies, alopecia, stress, babies!
I try not to care too much.

whyayepetal Mon 05-Feb-18 18:41:25

trichotillomania thanks to EA mother

k567 Mon 05-Feb-18 18:41:59

Had a baby made it fall out and psoriasis gave me bald patches

HouseFallingApart Mon 05-Feb-18 18:42:03

Chemo.

Before it was light brown and straight, now it so dark it's almost black and curly.

MsJuniper Mon 05-Feb-18 18:42:22

I had very thick hair, slightly wavy and kind of reddish blonde which I highlighted. Always found it a bit of a pain tbh, neither one thing nor another, very unmanageable, but had lots of compliments.

I lost 6 stone quite quickly and at the end quite a bit of hair fell out. It grew back much frizzier and wavier.

Got very thick again during pregnancy with DS but didn't fall out after so now I have even thicker, frizzier, greying hair. The natural colour seems to have got darker too; the other day my mum asked how I did my two-tone hair hmm

Coming to the end of a pregnancy now so let's see if it gets any thinner.

YetAnotherUser Mon 05-Feb-18 18:44:21

Male pattern baldness killed mine off aged 21.

Abzs Mon 05-Feb-18 18:45:01

Pregnancy. It did thicken again after falling out for months on end. What grew back wasn't mid brown and wavy, but white and wiry.

MissWilmottsGhost Mon 05-Feb-18 18:49:39

Never had nice hair.

It's very fine and not even an interesting colour. If short, it sticks up randomly, if long, it hangs in lank rats tails.

If I take after my mother half of it will fall out after menopause too.

2018SoFarSoGreat Mon 05-Feb-18 18:50:24

Age and illness. I literally lost all of the beautiful color and thickness from my hair in a period of about 4 months. Was horribly anemic and had a back injury at the same time. It is so sad! I had no idea how much I identified with my hair, until it was not my hair any more.

On another related and horrific note: I glanced at my pubes as I walked from shower to dresser last night and what the hell happened there? They are colorless and extremely sparse, except around the edges where it is like invisible steel wool. That sight is not attractive. Whoa. I may never get naked again. sad

WizardOfToss Mon 05-Feb-18 18:54:33

Pregnancy also. You could see my scalp afterwards. It recovered somewhat but is still very thin in places.

flowers for those losing theirs through illness, and all those who find it a blight on self esteem.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: