Advanced search

To not cancel my single person occupancy reduction if I have someone to stay?

(56 Posts)
Sunsational Mon 05-Feb-18 09:35:53

Boyfriend has asked to stay for just under 3 weeks when between tenancies. This is fine, I don’t plan to charge him anything, he can contribute to food etc.

My friend says I need to get the single person occupancy discount removed on my council tax bill - do I?

ElenaBothari Mon 05-Feb-18 09:37:37

No, he’s just a guest. He’s not moving in. I wouldn’t worry about this.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Mon 05-Feb-18 09:37:57

I've wondered whether I should have done this in the past when I've had people to stay so I'd be interested in the answer

NoqontroI Mon 05-Feb-18 09:39:39

No, he's not living there or going to have his name on the tenancy. He's just staying for a few weeks.

LordBuckethead Mon 05-Feb-18 09:39:44

No, unless he's financially contributing to the household (ie. Rent and bills) you don't need to declare it.

BMW6 Mon 05-Feb-18 09:39:49

I am sure that such a short visit would not have an impact, but to be sure go to their website and double check.

Sunsational Mon 05-Feb-18 09:40:46

It says on the website that I have to notify the council of any changes to my household within 21 days... But he’ll be gone again after 21 days

Sunsational Mon 05-Feb-18 09:41:35

I have a pretty cheap mortgage so don’t need him to contribute to that, and I don’t think the bills will go up by much

Shedmicehugh Mon 05-Feb-18 09:43:17

Your partner can stay over every single night, as long as they still have their own address.

Sunsational Mon 05-Feb-18 09:44:16

He won’t have his own address - he’ll be between tenancies so not paying council tax anywhere

Shedmicehugh Mon 05-Feb-18 09:45:46

Exactly! It will be very hard to prove that he isn’t living there

mummymeister Mon 05-Feb-18 09:47:23

If you are absolutely certain its less than 21 days then fine but if there is any chance it could go on longer then just tell the council now in writing to cover yourselves. its always better to be upfront than wait for a nosy neighbour to call the council and tell them that there are 2 of you living there.

Sunsational Mon 05-Feb-18 09:47:46

So every time I have a friend to stay I should ask their council tax status and inform the council if they’re not paying elsewhere? Surely guests are permitted?

Shedmicehugh Mon 05-Feb-18 09:50:37

If a homeless friend was staying with, it would be the same. Guests are not homeless.

starrysights Mon 05-Feb-18 09:54:03

Guests have their own house to go back to - that's why they're a guest.

Sunsational Mon 05-Feb-18 09:54:57

I guess I need to inform them then... Just annoying as they’ll close the account, reopen a new one, then do it again, then need to have the single occupancy discount applied again to get back to where I started and that’ll take them months...

Abracadabraapileofbollocks Mon 05-Feb-18 09:56:04

If he's not registering to vote / utilities / with banks there then no. But i do wonder what he will do with post etc?

treeofhearts Mon 05-Feb-18 09:56:34

I wouldn't. He isn't living there, just staying for a few weeks.

SoupDragon Mon 05-Feb-18 10:00:46

I wouldn’t.

astoundedgoat Mon 05-Feb-18 10:00:49

Why would you do that? Your friend is being bizarre. If he was staying for 3 or 4 months, perhaps, but this is 3 weeks. That's the length of a holiday. Do you tell the tax office that you are going to be resident in Spain for 3 weeks when you go on holiday? Or your health insurance, mobile phone provider?

There is no change to your living arrangements here. You are having a very short term guest, who is not planning to stay long term (i.e. he has another tenancy pending).

Sunsational Mon 05-Feb-18 10:01:09

He’s not going to bother changing his address with banks etc. He gets online statements anyway and isn’t expecting any post. His old housemate will pass anything on that comes to the old place.

Auspiciouspanda Mon 05-Feb-18 10:03:57

I work in housing benefits and council tax support (awarding single person discounts too).

He's a temporary guest under a month so it doesn't affect your discount.

ferrier Mon 05-Feb-18 10:04:20

If his post continues to go elsewhere, along with it being such a short duration, then I wouldn't consider that as moving in. But make sure he doesn't!

TheCowWentMoo Mon 05-Feb-18 10:04:25

He's just staying, hes not paying rent or bills. It would be a complete waste of time to notify the council about a guest

Spartasprout Mon 05-Feb-18 10:10:29

I used to train council tax staff, and there is no requirement to notify of a guest staying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: