Talk

Advanced search

To think any parent would be horrified to learn their DCs school hygiene practises are this poor?

(129 Posts)
LittleMooMoo Sat 03-Feb-18 15:03:55

I have DC at a highly regarded after small school. They've all been off with various illnesses since they started back in the New Year- and this week I have another with a vomiting bug and diarrhoea.

My daughter was off for 2 weeks straight and the school were pressuring me to bring her in for attendance reasons- when she returned on her first day back she looked really bad. I asked if she'd managed to drink much ( as she looked very dehydrated) and she said she declined water because her beaker (school provides plastic drinking bottles for all) contained green water- when she told the class teacher she was told to swish it out and put fresh water in. My DD said it smelt disgusting and made her feel nauseated. The next day I let her take in her own bottle and a note and her bottle was confiscated

I asked the class teacher why and was told it was school policy and no bottles were allowed from home so that they could be sure parents weren't filling them with fizzy drinks

When I told her about the rancid water and questioned her about who cleans to bottles and at what frequency she told me that the class bottles get hot washed every fortnight

So in between there are assigned bottle monitors who swill out the water (clearly not very well as my DD'S bottle water was GREEN!)

I was told they just didn't have time to hot wash bottles every night which I think is disgusting and unsanitary- this was backed up by my doctor who said she'd be prepared to write to the school.

Any thoughts as to what I can do?

The head has already passed a message on saying it won't change and I cannot bring in fresh bottles from home.

Idontdowindows Sat 03-Feb-18 15:05:28

Have your GP write then! It's ridiculous they're endangering the children's health with this. Bottles need to be washed after every use.

LittleMooMoo Sat 03-Feb-18 15:07:54

Idonthavewindows

It's insanity- there are currently 18 off from DS's class alone last week.

Pinkponiesrock Sat 03-Feb-18 15:08:32

That’s awful! My children’s school let us take in our own bottles, mine all have metal bottles as they break the plastic ones but they are dishwashered at least twice a week and rinsed out properly in between.

What your school is proposing sounds down right dangerous, I’m not surprised your DD has been ill.

YouTheCat Sat 03-Feb-18 15:09:43

Would environmental health be interested?

LittleMooMoo Sat 03-Feb-18 15:12:26

youthecat
How would I contact them- can I report the school anonymously?

The school has form for bullying parents who speak out!

LavenderTrug Sat 03-Feb-18 15:16:12

Yes you can report anonymously, I did. The school where I worked would sweep the dinner tables with the same broom that they used for outside.

AuntFidgetWonkhamStrongNajork Sat 03-Feb-18 15:16:48

Are the kids sharing the bottles in between these mythical hot washes?

Surely the simplest thing to do is say transparent colourless bottles only from home so they can see what the parents have put in them? Then no one is wasting any time in not washing them up?

LittleMooMoo Sat 03-Feb-18 15:20:30

auntfidget
I sent my dc in with clear bottles also telling them in my note that I'd welcome them checking the contents-
Nope, not accepted.

TheHeartOfTeFiti Sat 03-Feb-18 15:22:41

Highly sought after school, green water and bullying parents! Tell them where to stick there school!!

Idontdowindows Sat 03-Feb-18 15:22:47

there are currently 18 off from DS's class alone last week.

shock

I'd definitely either have the GP send a note or complain to the relevant authority.

LittleMooMoo Sat 03-Feb-18 15:24:08

I will take my GP up on the letter

But I don't think they will change confused

Cornettoninja Sat 03-Feb-18 15:25:09

Gosh yes environmental health. I don't know how bothered I'd be about being anonymous either, you're not in the wrong and that's disgusting.

Why can't the kids just take their own empty bottles to be filled at school if they're that bothered?

I'd rather my dd had tango than pond water.

Aspergallus Sat 03-Feb-18 15:26:11

That's disgusting. Totally disgusting.

quitecontrary123 Sat 03-Feb-18 15:26:30

You're not really selling this highly regarded school to me.

LittleMooMoo Sat 03-Feb-18 15:28:50

Oh my god!

I've been made to feel like I'm an over bearing, previous mother!

I knew I shouldn't doubt myself. sad

They've specifically said to me we won't be changing it- we don't have time to hit wash bottles every day.

Perhaps I need that in writing hmm

AnnieAnoniMouse Sat 03-Feb-18 15:29:07

I’d be changing school. If they’re far too thick to see the problems & solutions here, they’re far too thick to be educating children.

Cornettoninja Sat 03-Feb-18 15:29:12

Between disgusting hygiene and bullying parents is there a particularly pressing reason you can't change schools? It's sounds bloody awful.

Brings the phrase 'all fur coat and no knickers' to mind....

LittleMooMoo Sat 03-Feb-18 15:30:47

cornetti
I also suggested this (empty bottles filled at school) and was told "then parents will forget to bring bottles in and complain about that!"

***facespalms******

Pengggwn Sat 03-Feb-18 15:31:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

han01uk Sat 03-Feb-18 15:31:32

I recently got told by my daughter that they all share cups at lunch. One lot goes in,drinks,puts it upside for the next child to have. I find this horrifying,especially when she told me her cup was full of backwash so she didn't have a drink. I think observing in schools might just be a real eye opener 😲

Chugalug Sat 03-Feb-18 15:35:36

Germs are just spreading amongst the kiddies.that rank..send her own mug / cup in with her name on...so they can fill it with water ,but no one else will use it? That's all I can think of..utterly rediculous

LittleMooMoo Sat 03-Feb-18 15:37:00

I cannot move- waiting lists are huge/no spaces
3 kids.

Chaotica Sat 03-Feb-18 15:37:58

This is awful. Contact environmental health. Also contact ofsted and report the practice, saying that what you have said here. It really is not acceptable.

Ginslinger Sat 03-Feb-18 15:38:12

I don't understand why schools got rid of water fountains - save all this carry on. It sounds outrageous

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: