Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that people don't do this?!

(69 Posts)
nearlytime Sat 03-Feb-18 12:19:20

We're going out with DH's sister and family today. SIL announced that now DN is older she can no longer get away with "making up" stuff for the nursery weekend diary. She has to put what they "really did" because DN is old enough to talk about it now.

I asked her what she used to put and she said things like going to the local farm place (that's what we're doing today, animals to look at, birds of prey, fruit picking in season etc.) and swimming and the park... so she wasn't putting ridiculous things.

This isn't normal is it?

Soubriquet Sat 03-Feb-18 12:20:26

Yes.....if your child is young enough, saying you went to farm is much better than saying actually we stayed home because mum can't be arsed to go out again after a week of school run

Somerville Sat 03-Feb-18 12:21:27

I've faked many a class-bear book, TBH.

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Sat 03-Feb-18 12:21:48

Of course they do! I’m shocked that you’re so shocked!

You’re hardly likely to say “we slobbed out on the sofa with Paw Patrol” are you

FissionChips Sat 03-Feb-18 12:23:14

I wouldn’t have thought people did that either op, ,I just write what we actually did.

TheStoic Sat 03-Feb-18 12:23:20

Do they have to ‘report’ on every weekend? That’s the weird bit. I don’t blame her for making stuff up.

nearlytime Sat 03-Feb-18 12:24:11

I put "made cakes" or " watered the plants" or "played with lego" if we haven't been out. You know, stuff we have actually done!

nearlytime Sat 03-Feb-18 12:25:22

Yes, we report every weekend. Not everyone does it but they like you to, so they have something to talk about on Monday.

Schlimbesserung Sat 03-Feb-18 12:27:39

Any nursery that demands that parents fill in this sort of nonsense can reasonable expect it to be at least half lies. Most people will run out of new things to say and a significant number will not want their weekend activities to be scrutinised and judged.
I'm not sure if we were ever asked to do this, I remember nursery trying to insist that we wrote something in the home/school book every week, but I just ignored it. If I had anything to say then I'd talk to them. Otherwise it's just box-ticking nonsense.

WellThatsATurnipForTheBooks Sat 03-Feb-18 12:28:10

Oh god we once got DS to completely invent a class bear diary weekend when he was in primary school.

For whatever reason we weren't doing anything that weekend (bad weather? working? can't really remember) so we went down the route of "I know DS why don't you make up a fantastic adventure that the bear had, where he travelled around the world in a weekend". We even included a photoshopped pic or two of the bear by the Eiffel Tower etc.

Was that wrong, encouraging BIG lies??

nearlytime Sat 03-Feb-18 12:37:26

Oh I don't mind doing it. It only takes five minutes.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 03-Feb-18 12:48:56

What would actually happen if you wrote;

Put Peppa Pig on replay and sat DC in front of it. Ordered Pizza. Got stuck into the gin whilst Mumsnetting and listening to <insert music of choice> on my ipod. Anything to drown out that fucking wanna be bacon. OH feeling frisky, popped into the bedroom for a surreptitious shag while pig and pizza entertained. Went out to buy more gin.

MatildaTheCat Sat 03-Feb-18 12:53:06

It sounds like an ace way of having some fun.

Saturday took private jet to Manhattan where mummy and daddy drank cocktails until they fell over and were sick whilst flying home.

Sunday Mummy and Daddy failed to emerge from their room all day other than to switch on Peppa Pig and open 12 bags of Wotsits for me. Best day ever!

Anniegetyourgun Sat 03-Feb-18 12:58:12

I am shocked because lying is not only A Bad Thing, it is also unnecessary. Wtf is it to do with the nursery what you did at the weekend? Just politely decline to fill the bloody thing in.

nearlytime Sat 03-Feb-18 12:59:29

What I find odd though is she is actually writing something, so why not just write what you did. It can't all be stuff she's embarrassed about. "Had a bath" is still a thing. It's only to encourage talking, not a competition.

nearlytime Sat 03-Feb-18 13:00:14

Don't many nurseries do this then? That has shocked me, I presumed loads did!

BlueMirror Sat 03-Feb-18 13:05:30

I think this is odd. If we've stayed in we've stayed in and I'd put that - it's not a crime. Even if the kids are occasionally babysat by Paw Patrol. If that's all you're doing every weekend then maybe put less effort into writing fiction in the nursery diary and more into interacting with your child!
Even when kids are young the staff will try and interact with the children about what is in their diary. Much better they are trying to recall an episode of Peppa Pig than sat there perplexed while their teacher talks about sheep and cows they haven't seen!

Thymeout Sat 03-Feb-18 13:28:41

I think it's a temptation for everyone to spin their lives to make themselves look better. Think of Facebook. My Reception aged child invented an entirely fictitious account of helping his dad build a new porch. When we saw it written down on parents' evening, it did make him think about father/son activities.

I wouldn't make anything up, but I would be selective about 'good' things I wrote down.

nextDayDelivery Sat 03-Feb-18 13:45:14

A weekend diary? What?

Sounds completely moronic.

I get the 'class bear' diary as children love it and I think the competition among parents is amazing. One Year 1 class bear flew first class 5 times last year!

Amanduh Sat 03-Feb-18 14:58:52

Parents do this.
Kids do this too.
Aged 11 in my brothers ‘all about me’ entry for school, it said ‘What makes or has made you sad?’ He put ‘When my nanny got shot.’
Afterwards he told us it was because he coudn’t think of anything interesting 😂😂😂

zeeboo Sat 03-Feb-18 16:59:48

Bloody hell. I'm glad we had a childminder. She was my friend on Facebook and would comment "ooh that looks cosy" as DD and I had yet another duvet and Nick Jr weekend.
I've never heard of these books and it's not something I'd bother to fill in, but if I did, I wouldn't lie, that's just childish.

DeadDoorpost Sat 03-Feb-18 17:04:51

It never occurred to me to make things up. My book literally said 'cleaned my room. Made cakes. Read to mum. Watched tv' or the occasional 'went to the beach. Chased seagulls'

Lovestonap Sat 03-Feb-18 17:07:02

Clearly people do do this because your SIL has said she does. And she's unlikely to be the only person on the planet to do ANYTHING.

So yabu. And judgy. And annoyingly faux-bewildered.

Abracadabraapileofbollocks Sat 03-Feb-18 17:08:19

I've only ever been entirely honest in those books. So bears have been to all sorts of places with us from the Natural History Museum to the Corner Shop; helping with the laundry to seeing the queen (literally waving at her going past not in a fancy way). One even managed a night shift with me.
I realise now I "should" have excluded more of the every day stuff. Wow. Some people are weirdly insecure!

BlueMirror Sat 03-Feb-18 17:14:17

To be fair Lovestonap just because one person does something it doesn't mean others do. Some people are just weird. I know someone who eats an orange like an apple just biting into it without separating the segments. Pretty sure that's not a thing?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: