Talk

Advanced search

To consider three children sharing one room?

(365 Posts)
TabbyTigger Sat 03-Feb-18 11:03:19

Our current home has 4 bedrooms.

DS is 18 and at University, lives there but comes home to stay overnight probably once a month, plus being home at holidays. He has the tiny box room and always has done.

The attic has two big rooms. Currently one is shared by DD1 (13, nearly 14) and DD2 (12), and the other by DD3 (5) and DD4 (2). The fourth bedroom is obviously ours.

DD5 is due in two weeks (eek!) and I can’t stop thinking about what we’ll do when she’s bigger. Currently, the most viable option seems to be to put her in with DD3 and 4, say when they’re 6, 3, and 1. But the room isn’t huge, so would have to be bunk bed and regular bed (currently it’s just bunk bed), and then have very little space for much other than dresser. WIBU to squeeze the three of them in together for two years, just until DS no longer needs his room? (Then DD3 can move in there, and we’ll be back to just 2 sharing each bigger room). Or should I just take a deep breath in and accept that a move is inevitable? I love this house and where it is so really don’t want to move. I’m probably just overthinking and worrying, I just cant stop wondering about how new baby is going to change our lives!!

Whatshallidonowpeople Sat 03-Feb-18 11:04:58

Perhaps it would have been sensible to consider where you were going to put them before getting pregnant?

poloniusandlaertes Sat 03-Feb-18 11:05:52

Agree. And people will say how unhelpful that is but seriously.

robertaplumkin Sat 03-Feb-18 11:07:37

What pp said. Poor kids hmm

brummiesue Sat 03-Feb-18 11:07:59

Couldn't agree more, 5 kids but no though about where to actually house them hmm

TabbyTigger Sat 03-Feb-18 11:08:01

We did think about and discuss it then! But came to the conclusion that we’d bite the bullet and move if we decided we had to. Now it’s come closer to the time I’m increasingly reluctant to move, and think it would be easier to just squeeze for 2 years.

YellowMakesMeSmile Sat 03-Feb-18 11:08:08

Perhaps it would have been sensible to consider where you were going to put them before getting pregnant?

This ^^

Adults selfish decisions impact on the children, it's all about your wants not theirs.

Chrys2017 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:08:18

Surely the baby can sleep in a cot in your room for two years? I think you'll be setting up resentment putting a baby in with a six-year old, not to mention the lack of space.

poloniusandlaertes Sat 03-Feb-18 11:08:30

Then I suggest your baby shares your room for that period.

Somerville Sat 03-Feb-18 11:08:48

Move house. A 4 bed (actually 3.5 bed since 1 is a box room) isn't big enough for a family of 8.

jaseyraex Sat 03-Feb-18 11:09:16

Does your eldest really need a room if he only comes once a month? Could he kip on the sofa so you then have another room straight away?

poloniusandlaertes Sat 03-Feb-18 11:09:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

poloniusandlaertes Sat 03-Feb-18 11:10:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

KatnissMellark Sat 03-Feb-18 11:10:44

Keep her in with you til she's in a bed, by which time DS will be home less. Make the box room the little ones and have a trundle bed underneath DD3 or 4s bed. When DS comes home, DD5 in with the others on the trundle and he has her room.

PinkDaffodil2 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:11:08

Surely the baby can stay in with you for a couple of years?

Unihorn Sat 03-Feb-18 11:11:22

My three brothers shared a room growing up as I was the only girl and we had a 3 bed house. Didn't seem to have any detrimental effect on them. I would suggest the baby in with you for the foreseeable future though.

HughLauriesStubble Sat 03-Feb-18 11:11:51

Jesus the air must be thin up there on your high horses hmm Obviously the op has options and is willing to consider moving so it's not lime they're all stacked like sardines in a one bedrooms house.

Op I think that sounds fine. Like you said, it's not forever. And you can always try it, and if it doesn't work out, then think about moving.

isittimetogotobed Sat 03-Feb-18 11:12:53

I'm flabbergasted but the rude replays you have had shock
If keep he baby in with you and then give it the box room so you eldest can sleep on the sofa when they come back, there is no point saving a room for then if hey are hardly there.

It's non of anyone's business who the dads are ffs or how many kids have, Jesus kids night have to share a bedroom it's hardly child abuse confused

Isadora2007 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:13:21

Baby gets the box room to sleep in once 12-18 months and goes right into a big bed. Shares with you when eldest comes home which in a few years could be practically never if my 20 year old is anything to go by.
Room could get redecorated neutrally and most of eldests stuff should really be stored or given to them if only home once a month.
Younger two keep shared room but youngest gets right to play there. Or if your house allows for a play room or area for kids to play that means little one only needs the box room for sleeping in.

I wouldn’t make the elder two share with little ones though.

BrandNewHouse Sat 03-Feb-18 11:13:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coldilox Sat 03-Feb-18 11:14:17

I think you need to move. Your kids need some space

BrieAndChilli Sat 03-Feb-18 11:14:46

Your down stairs can’t be that big either if you only have 2 bedrooms on each floor (so ground floor is only the footprint of the 2 bedrooms and a bathroom?
For 8 people I would be moving to get a lot of extra space.

We have 3 and only 3 bedrooms so the 2 boys share but we also have study and a conservatory/playroom downstairs as well as kitchen and lounge so bedrooms are mainly for sleeping in.

JJPP123 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:15:06

Is your room larger? The 3 girls would need the largest room. There's nothing wrong with 3 sharing for now as long as they will comfortably fit. With the age gaps you have the older children won't still need a room at your house before your 5 year old needs a bit of independence from her little sister who is 5 years younger.

When I was 18 I went off to uni, my mother repurposed my bedroom. I knew I was always welcome but I didn't need a bedroom at her house anymore.

OnionAndGarlic Sat 03-Feb-18 11:15:25

You could take one of the smaller rooms and give the 3 children the biggest room. You could even get a partition wall put in if it's a decent size?

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Sat 03-Feb-18 11:15:31

Do you think your DS will move out immediately after university? I don't know anyone who's moved out straight away, generally they've gone home for at least a year (and usually more) due to high rent/low salary or, often, not finding work instantly after graduation.

I think you need to move house unfortunately, your current one is too cramped for 6 DC.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: