Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask if Quorn is healthy or unhealthy....

(152 Posts)
loveyouradvice Fri 02-Feb-18 18:57:23

I've a 15 year old DD who wants to be veggie...and adores Quorn. We're cooking lots with it and seems surprisingly versatile ... love Bolognese sauce made with it

But friends have told us to find out what's really in it and that we should avoid it if we want to eat healthily

I'd just thought low-fat mushroomy thing - seems brilliant invention

Whats so bad about it?

QueenofLouisiana Fri 02-Feb-18 19:00:58

It is a mushroom thing- or some people see it as mould! I am veggie and eat it a lot without any problems, but some allergic reactions have been reported. It’s low in fat, a source of protein and tastes fine, if she’s happy I’d not stress about it.

demirose87 Fri 02-Feb-18 19:04:43

I'd say healthy, I cook with it as a lower fat alternative to meat when I can't find the 5% beef mince and its all good. The quorn mince and pieces are a free food on Slimming World so it can't be too bad

Teeniemiff Fri 02-Feb-18 19:07:04

I like quorn & also find it versatile.
It’s free on slimming world (low in fat) but I do think some of the products can be quite high in salt. X

BulletFox Fri 02-Feb-18 19:07:28

There was a huge quorn thread here recently.

I think someone said it was devised by ICI?? Can't remember!

I'd still eat it, it's low fat protein and I like the taste and texture

WomanInTheMirrorStaresAtMe Fri 02-Feb-18 19:07:36

It's ever so slightly less protein than meat,but also lower in fat and calories.

FuzzyCustard Fri 02-Feb-18 19:08:23

We also love a Quorn spagbol and have never had any adverse reaction to it. Seems to be low fat and definitely better for cows so we'll go on eating it.

Elllicam Fri 02-Feb-18 19:09:16

I like it, it’s high protein and low fat. It can’t be that bad. Brace yourself for all the people who are intolerant of it to come on and tell you about their gastric symptoms though grin

BarbarianMum Fri 02-Feb-18 19:10:14

I'd say it's pretty healthy if your body can tolerate it, which personally mine can't. I mean, its all relative- its healthier than bacon but quorn sausage and chips every day is not going to be a good diet.

babyccinoo Fri 02-Feb-18 19:10:15

My Quorn bolognese comes out lumpy despite stirring/stabbing. How do i break it up?

BikeRunSki Fri 02-Feb-18 19:10:54

It depends on what you want from it. It’s high protein and low fat. Easy to cook with. All good. It’s also heavily synthesised. Some people are not to happy with this. It also gives quite a lot of people a bad stomach! Not good.

Gatehouse77 Fri 02-Feb-18 19:12:16

I have a question, if you don't mind OP?

If it's a highly processed food then would it come under the 'avoid processed foods' category? If it did, then how does that balance with being a healthy alternative?

SimonBridges Fri 02-Feb-18 19:12:27

I’m vegetarian and eat it quite a lot. I’ve never had a problem.
Be aware that some people will tell you it gives them the shits.
I’ve never found this but then I’ve been vegetarian for about 20 years so I might well be used to it. —going into the toilet after a meat eater has had a shit is grim—

Halebeke425 Fri 02-Feb-18 19:13:01

Well it depends what you define as 'healthy' it's low in fat and high in protein but it's also a processed food and I try to be quite careful these days of how much processed foods we rely on. We do have some of their vegan quorn products, they are tasty. Like anything I'd say exercise moderation with it. If you want more ideas for veggie proteins you could try tofu and tempeh, once you get the hang of cooking and marinating them properly you can have some very nutritious and tasty meals.

lecossaise Fri 02-Feb-18 19:13:27

They are healthy for a veggie protein but watch out for iron levels - they say the products are made with "iron enriched flour" but I asked them via twitter a few months ago (I was anaemic so counting iron intake) and they said there is "approximately between 0.2mg and 0.3mg per 100g."

Also I'm sure that the cocktail sausages have crack in them, they're addictive.

MrsLinManuelMiranda Fri 02-Feb-18 19:16:04

My family are not veggies, but we avoid processed meat. We eat loads of quorn as a meat substitute, definitely feel it is a healthier alternative.

ShowOfHands Fri 02-Feb-18 19:19:12

I didn't realise until the recent thread that it causes adverse reactions in other people too. I've tried it twice and do not get on with it at all. I also try to avoid processed food so wouldn't choose it first even if it didn't make me ill. It's not unhealthy in essence. Serves a purpose I suppose.

daffodildelight Fri 02-Feb-18 19:21:30

Ooh yes - I am addicted to the cocktail sausages too - what do they put in them?

Vitalogy Fri 02-Feb-18 19:22:10

My Quorn bolognese comes out lumpy despite stirring/stabbing. How do i break it up? Smash it up in the bag on the worktop before you open it. Goes to crumble again.

BulletFox Fri 02-Feb-18 19:22:44

Another vote for the cocktail sausages!

Strawberrythief87 Fri 02-Feb-18 19:23:23

Quorn can be healthy and if no one in your family is having adverse reactions to it then don't worry about it but I guess as with anything just don't eat it every day!
Personally I have an egg intolerance (it uses egg whites) so reacted quite badly to it about 18 years ago now and haven't had it since but need to get round to trying the vegan versions now.

Vitalogy Fri 02-Feb-18 19:24:44

Ooh yes - I am addicted to the cocktail sausages too - what do they put in them? Sausage and beans on toast or jacket potato.

Averyyounggrandmaofsix Fri 02-Feb-18 19:27:24

Sainsbury's sell minced mushrooms which is similar but less " mucked about with."

Rebeccaslicker Fri 02-Feb-18 19:27:26

Healthy in moderation I think.

It makes a lovely chilli. Especially if you use smoked chillis for a change - not as hot but all smoky and yummy!

trumptown Fri 02-Feb-18 19:29:15

Nothing is "bad" for you if you eat it in moderation. The occasional quorn meal isn't going to harm you - unless you are allergic to it. If I was vegetarian I would include it as an occasional thing, not every day. Other high protein foods like tofu, pulses, beans, eggs, cheese, some grains will give your DD protein from healthy and varied sources without relying on Quorn. There are some lovely lentil and bean shepherds pie recipes, also veggie chilli con carne etc etc. I love the Cauldron veggie sausages and there's another brand stocked in my local Waitrose now that are delicious with a range of vegetarian sausages & burgers - called Heck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now