Talk

Advanced search

AIBU for worrying about how I'm going to manage.

(12 Posts)
Shootfirstaskquestionslater Fri 02-Feb-18 09:17:28

I'm seriously worrying about how I'm going to manage on the what little money I have. I applied for universal credit a couple of weeks ago and I won't get any money until 22nd February and now my housing benefit has been stopped and my rent is due on 14th February I now have to find an extra £290 from somewhere to pay my rent because housing benefit just don't give a shit about whether I end up homeless or not where the hell do I find that kind of money from they have well and truly screwed me over and now I don't know what to do. My boyfriend has offered to help me out but I can't afford to pay him back he's even offered to let me move in with him but we've only been together 5 months and it's still ingrained in me that you stand on your own 2 feet and sort out your own problems. How did everything go so wrong I went from an independent hardworking woman to worrying about where I'm getting £290 from to cover my rent. I can understand why people take their own lives the benfits system is shit. Rant over.

Believeitornot Fri 02-Feb-18 09:18:17

Have you spoken to your local council and asked about discretionary housing payments?

PaperdollCartoon Fri 02-Feb-18 09:19:43

Didn’t want to read and run. It is a totally shitty system to expect people to wait that long for money. Is there anyone else you could borrow from and agree repayment over a period of time that you could manage? Are you likely to be able to work again soon?

Domino20 Fri 02-Feb-18 09:20:15

The benefits system is very very very very shit. You'll have to tell landlord to wait for rent or get an advance.

MrsFantastic Fri 02-Feb-18 09:21:00

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/apply/get-advance-payment/

Bluelady Fri 02-Feb-18 09:22:37

Let your boyfriend help out. He's offered and wants to. There's no need to go through this and make a bad situation worse. However much you may understandably want to stand on your own feet, you can't and are lucky enough to have been offered practical help.

Shootfirstaskquestionslater Fri 02-Feb-18 09:26:28

Believeitornot no I haven't I spoke to housing benefit yesterday and they just basically said not our circus not our monkeys go away and sort it out with universal credit.

PaperdollCartoon* there is no one else I can borrow money from and I really don't want to have to go cap in hand to my boyfriend as kind as it is for him to offer this is my mess and I need to fix it somehow. I don't know when I will get back to work I have depression and anxiety and can't leave the house on my own which is a whole other thread.

Domion20 I would do but what if they kick me out for being on benefits when I'm suppose to be working. It's all just a big horrible mess.

SpiritedLondon Fri 02-Feb-18 09:26:28

Ok well I’m sorry you’re going through this - it sounds awful. I personally would take the offer of the money from your BF. You know that you’ll pay him back and unless he needs it back immediately it will buy you a little bit of breathing space. Sometimes we all need a little bit of help in our lives. How would you feel if he was in a hole and you could help him but he was refusing it? This is what friends and family do for each other - willingly. With regards his offer to live with him. Would you have considered moving in with him if the circumstances were different? I wouldn’t do it if the only reason is the financial difficulties because that’s obviously not fair but I would if I was serious about the relationship and saw a future together. 5 months is not necessarily too soon.

barefoofdoctor Fri 02-Feb-18 09:27:05

The council will have a discretionary fund but you might have to go to the top so to speak to access it. Keep your landlord updated in writing. I am so sorry you are having this stress and would advise against moving in with new Chappie. I get the going from hard-working to on your arse/on benefits. I had my own business, good money then got a serious illness which has fucked me. Used up savings while Ill and in immediate aftermathhb and am now reliant on benefits and live day to day terrified of being fucked over by the DWP/transferred to Universal zCredit. I honestly think when we go onto universal credit if I'm still in as much pain as j am now I'll just top myself though I 100 % don't suggest this as an option for you. Get onto your MP and chase them up if they are lazy or don't offer help. Good luck.

Shootfirstaskquestionslater Fri 02-Feb-18 09:31:45

Mrsfantastic thank you I will look in to that.

BlueLady spiritedLondon I think you might be right I might have to swallow my pride and accept his help and pay him back when I can.

SpiritedLondon we talked about moving in together before this all happened but I said we should wait until we've been together for a year and see where I'm at because I want to live with him but only when I'm back in work and I can pay my own way until then I wouldn't do it because it's unfair on him if he's working and I'm not.

Shootfirstaskquestionslater Fri 02-Feb-18 09:34:47

Barefoofdoctor thank you I will do that one way or another I can get this sorted. It's so horrible and disheartening when you go from hard-working and independent to suddenly relying on benefits and watching the pennies. Whatever you do please don't go on to universal credit it seriously screws you over.

laura65988 Thu 08-Feb-18 14:34:49

Is it private lanlord u had any arreas or that before if not they won't kick u out as u have been a good tenant and paid ure rent phone and tell them due to a benefit change u're due on what ever day apologize and say can u wait until then u're freaking out for no reason ure landlord will be ok these things happen and u're contact and telling them if they need the money then take a short term loan of partner and then pay it back when u get paid what is the problem with that u can also apply for a benefit advance if u are struggling and going to be made home less x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now