Talk

Advanced search

To think that there is far too much emphasis on alcohol?

(169 Posts)
MycatsaPirate Thu 01-Feb-18 15:08:01

It's wine o'clock. Kids playing up? have a glass of wine! Gin flavoured cheese, gin with fucking unicorn tears, prosecco everything.

I am not teetotal and I certainly had my time in my late teens when I partied hard every week and probably drank far too much at the weekends but right now it seems that drinking at home, every night is becoming the norm.

I see it constantly on here and on facebook and Instagram - photos of wine glasses, gin glasses and references to it being 'a hard day' and 'needing a drink'. Now I'm sure some of those are a one off but it seems that drinking daily, especially among women, is becoming more of a thing and it's really not very healthy!

When was the last time you had a drink? I actually can't remember but it was in December because I bought a bottle of Baileys and I think I had a glass or two on Boxing day.

Would anyone on here admit they might have a problem? I have seen a fair few people on facebook admit they were struggling to stay Dry in January and I think that's bloody sad.

CrazyExIngenue Thu 01-Feb-18 15:10:56

Enjoying a bottle of wine with DH right now as it's the end of the work week for me and it's our end of the work week treat. I don't have a problem, I just like a drink.

QuiteLikely5 Thu 01-Feb-18 15:11:11

I think when the local pubs shut down due to the smoking ban, men started drinking more at home - then their wives joined in!

Now it’s just a habit for many

livefornaps Thu 01-Feb-18 15:11:36

Yeah well, we're all a long time dead, aren't we? Cheers! wineginhalo

FlyingElbows Thu 01-Feb-18 15:12:11

I have absolutely zero tolerance for that "wine o'clock, my kids are so hilariously awful I have to drink all the gin and here's my hilarious dog" Facebook shite. Fuck off. Being hilariously and ever so painfully middle class doesn't make alcohol dependency any less of an issue. However I grew up with the reality of a functioning alcoholic so I may be slightly biased. I stand by my view that talking endlessly about Prosecco just makes you a twat!

OuchBollocks Thu 01-Feb-18 15:15:01

Loads of people on MN admit they have a problem but I doubt this is the thread they'll do it on. Judgy much? I had a drink yesterday. I enjoyed it. I probably drink a couple of times a week. All within NHS limits apart from the very odd special occasion. Unless you're in public health policy making, why do you care?

BeyondThePage Thu 01-Feb-18 15:15:09

I don't drink, I don't live in a personal world where drink is important in any way, shape, or form, so no, not the norm here.

WonderLime Thu 01-Feb-18 15:17:46

I do drink and enjoy doing so - however I do agree with you. Funnily enough I was saying to my DP a couple of days ago about how binge drinking now seems to be aimed at women. I’m suppose thinking about a man having too many units conjures the picture of a drunk football lout, whereas we picture woman’s drinking as glamorous (think about the types of drink too - fizzy wine, cocktails and overpriced gin).

On the other hand, the Supermarkets now stock more than 3 brands of gin! I’m waiting for Rum to have it’s turn again.

missyB1 Thu 01-Feb-18 15:18:35

Well I drink no more than 15 units a week sometimes more like 10 units. I do track it as I had breast cancer a couple of years ago so I’m more cautious these days. But there’s no way I’m giving up alcohol, just like I’m not giving up sugar - the latest evil! I like wine and I like cake and a life without either would be sad. It’s a case of everything in moderation.

WonderLime Thu 01-Feb-18 15:19:23

As for last time I had a drink - last night. Red wine with my dinner (lamb tagine).

missyB1 Thu 01-Feb-18 15:20:08

Wonder when I was a teenager we thought we were very sophisticated to have a rum and coke! grin

geekone Thu 01-Feb-18 15:25:03

Stop reading Facebook or it offends you that much. I like a glass of wine, I like a wee gin but I generally have one of those or two if it's a Saturday.

Should we bring back prohibition hmm

MycatsaPirate Thu 01-Feb-18 15:25:24

ouchbollocks No I'm not judging! I am just making an observation and I do think it affects everyone, whether they are in the health service or not (and my DD is and certainly sees the affects of alcohol on people when she scrapes them into the back of an ambulance).

It just seems to be very prevalent at the moment. Everything seems to be made 'better' by adding alcohol to it apparently. Like cheese or chocolate or cake or anything really, the market is ripe for advertisers to add alcohol to a product (mainly gin and prosecco) and then flog it to women.

And do you not think that drinking all the time has an effect on the children of the house? Case in point is one of my sisters who is a master at 'wine o'fucking'clock' and gets several litres of gin for her birthday from all her 'luffly' friends. Her son is 16 and is now drinking beer and whisky. He thinks it's normal to be out drinking or drinking at home all the time. And she is fine with that. I'd be bloody horrified at one of mine drinking spirits at 16 years old.

I know that there are people on this site who know they have a problem and they are seeking help and well done to them. It's the people who think they don't have a problem but can't go one night without a drink that are the issue.

ViceAdmiralAmilynHoldo Thu 01-Feb-18 15:25:47

I do drink alcohol. I like it. I had no intention of doing Dry January as I'll do six weeks for Lent.
I find quite a lot of people on here seem to think that having a drink on Friday and Saturday night is some form of alcohol dependency and is dangerous. It's not. I usually have less than half a bottle at a time, and maybe have one glass of wine (or a gin and tonic) on another night during the week if I go out.
I'd often joke by saying 'I need a gin' but I'd never actually have one during the day and I don't actually know anyone who does. The joke is certainly overdone on social media as are many things.

InDubiousBattle Thu 01-Feb-18 15:27:26

I think that the only people I know who drink everyday are retired. I think all of this 'it's wine o clock' stuff is just fb nonsense. A few of my mates put stuff like that on and are always 'totally up for a gin soaked night!!', they have a couple then go home so it's all talk! We mostly have little kids though so it might be different with parents of teenagers or those without Kids?

Frouby Thu 01-Feb-18 15:29:26

I last had a drink on Friday.

I made a concious decision at the start of january to really cut back. I was drinking every night nearly. Only ever 2 or 3. But it was becoming a problem.

I am enjoying not drinking every night. Enjoying the benefits anyway. It's still difficult. Come 5pm I really want a gin
Or wine. Or a lager.

I may have a glass of wine tonight. Will have some more tomorrow. Then dry again until next week.

We have a thread on here under alcohol support I think it is.

ColinFlower Thu 01-Feb-18 15:32:58

I agree with you and think our culture with alcohol is very unhealthy.
I'm very aware of alcohol and how much I drink as I watched my mum completely destroy her life with it. She went from being a very intelligent, popular, business owner to someone that was basically a body going through the motions. She lost all of her friends and family, very hard to watch.

I do enjoy a drink but obviously I am sensitive to enjoying it, so maybe it's just me, but I find the alcohol advertising everywhere very hard to ignore. It does make me want to drink more and the posts you describe help me justify having a bottle of wine.

I know it's poison but it's a very enjoyable poison.

Jigglytuff Thu 01-Feb-18 15:34:22

We've done this thread recently - less than a month ago

CJD7263 Thu 01-Feb-18 15:35:13

I drink and smoke. I like it.

ColinFlower Thu 01-Feb-18 15:37:22

jiggly you do realise there are some of us then aren't constantly on here? Threads are done over and over, that's how the site has been going for so long.

UpstartCrow Thu 01-Feb-18 15:44:16

Prohibition is essentially what funded the Mob in the USA. Everything in moderation.

Jigglytuff Thu 01-Feb-18 15:46:00

Gosh no! Hadn't realised that, Colin. Thanks for letting me know.

Clem7 Thu 01-Feb-18 15:46:58

I do agree OP, and alcohol is significantly more harmful than various illegal drugs.

But we won’t change any time soon and I’ll be having a drink tomorrow.

RedBlackberries Thu 01-Feb-18 15:47:17

I'm seeing it more now I'm pregnant and not drinking. My dh has always had a rocky relationship with alcohol and all of my family are daily drinkers. I started drinking too much this year before I was pregnant and it didn't make me a good mum coping with the realities of childcare. It made me anxious, snippy and in a rush to get my dd to bed so I could have a glass. I'm a much better mum now and don't want to slip back into a drink turning into 3 after my new ones born. It's so normalised as a parenting coping technique.

WickedLazy Thu 01-Feb-18 15:49:23

I do think it's possible to enjoy a glass or two a day, without having a problem.

But if you're dependent on it, that's another kettle of fish. My ex is an alchoholic, and my son was starting to recognise when he was drunk, (he has a big personality change and actually looks like a different him).

I think people forgot this

youtu.be/XwdUXS94yNk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now