Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you think about 'Grid Girls' no longer being used?

(531 Posts)
U2HasTheEdge Wed 31-Jan-18 19:19:37

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42890261

I think it is a great thing.

Some people on my FB clearly don't.

NotACleverName Wed 31-Jan-18 19:22:38

About bloody time. Grid girls are a anachronism that have no place in a professional sport. I just hope other series, mainly MotoGP, follow suit.

It's quite unsurprising that most of the objections to this have been from male fans. Apparently grid girls are an "integral part" of the sport. Here's me thinking it was about racing, must've been mistaken.

StickThatInYourPipe Wed 31-Jan-18 19:23:43

I think it’s a bit shit that the women who enjoy working in these roles are now inemployed and forced to find jobs in roles they may not want.

confusedlittleone Wed 31-Jan-18 19:24:07

I'm on the fence there are some people who absolutely love that line of work- why should they be out of work Because some people don't like it? And where's the line? Shall we just ban all models in everything now?

Bluelady Wed 31-Jan-18 19:24:15

Excellent decision. One of them was on the radio tonight and she was well pissed off though.

Cherrycokewinning Wed 31-Jan-18 19:26:28

Good

Modelling isn’t anything like this shite

Although the sun newspapers coverage of this all week has made me look forward with glee to the day they are closed down, NOTW style. Cunts

StickThatInYourPipe Wed 31-Jan-18 19:26:31

*unemployed! Stupid phone

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Wed 31-Jan-18 19:27:09

I can understand their annoyance, but I agree with the decision. It felt really old fashioned and inappropriate. I don't want my daughters seeing women being paraded as objects while men do sport. I don't want to have to explain that to them.

StickThatInYourPipe Wed 31-Jan-18 19:27:23

Modelling isn’t anything like this shite

No in ‘modelling’ they wear less clothing.

JoeyMaynardssolidlump Wed 31-Jan-18 19:27:49

Great about time.

They arnt models. Nothing like.

U2HasTheEdge Wed 31-Jan-18 19:27:56

Grid girls are a anachronism that have no place in a professional sport.

Absolutely.

PerfectlyDone Wed 31-Jan-18 19:28:39

So, so overdue!

Of course there'll be those who will miss a bit of gratuitous ogling of the decorations hmm

TakeThatFuckingDressOffNow Wed 31-Jan-18 19:29:06

YANBU

Feel bad for the women who have lost their jobs and they should receive proper support to transition to new careers / jobs. But It’s absolutely not ok in 2018 for women to be objectified in this way. I’m not talking about the women who were working as grid girls, I’m talking about the misogyny that this perpetuates.

Cherrycokewinning Wed 31-Jan-18 19:29:11

No, models are advertising. They certainly aren’t assumed to be skimpily clothed hmm

Cherrycokewinning Wed 31-Jan-18 19:29:43

Is not a job anyway. It’s a few hours work a year.

RatRolyPoly Wed 31-Jan-18 19:30:26

We've all gotta move with the times.

JoeyMaynardssolidlump Wed 31-Jan-18 19:30:29

It’s not about the clothing though.

It’s the role. Models are modelling a product. These women are just there as non speaking non achieving non accomplishing female bodies and faces.

Just women being quiet and looking pretty.

No no no no about time.

MrsMaxwell Wed 31-Jan-18 19:30:31

I dunno I feel torn.

I get the outdated thing.

The girls choose to do it and enjoy it and it does add a bit of “glamour” but maybe detracts from the fact there are no (?) female F1 drivers - why?

Cherrycokewinning Wed 31-Jan-18 19:31:23

Exactly MrsMaxwell. No reason why women can’t drive as men do. Apart from sexism
Obviously

kaz2810 Wed 31-Jan-18 19:32:23

Personally I wouldn't do it but if they want to do it what right does anyone else have to tell them not to. People need to live and let live. Too many people think that if they disprove then the whole world should too.

Idontdowindows Wed 31-Jan-18 19:32:51

It's a start. Now the rest of this stuff.

gluteustothemaximus Wed 31-Jan-18 19:32:52

I’m not talking about the women who were working as grid girls, I’m talking about the misogyny that this perpetuates.

Exactly.

There’s a lot of hate spewing out in twitter towards feminism gawn mad.

Get this - we’ve taken away equality from women, as now they’ll be less women in ‘sport’ hmm

PootLovato Wed 31-Jan-18 19:32:54

Very glad about this!

It’s gross and sends the message that men get to do the fun and cool competing and women are just pretty things to look at.

TheBrilliantMistake Wed 31-Jan-18 19:33:25

I agree with the decision too
I sympathise that a lady might now be losing one of her incomes, but just can't reconcile how parading a beautiful woman in front of a racing car is anything to do with the sport.

I can't see any reason to have them other than 'look at me, I'm young and beautiful' which (arguably) suggest the world of the wealthy is about beauty. Which then suggest a) woman are so gullible, they are drawn to wealth, and b) wealth can buy beautiful young women.

Just seems wrong to be suggesting that.

If there's another purpose for them, I'd like to know it.

StickThatInYourPipe Wed 31-Jan-18 19:34:12

Models are modelling a product

Grid girls are advertising the sponsors

They should have just added Male versions too and had it more diverse. All of the women who I have seen now out of jobs on this are very upset by the whole thing, they certainly didn’t feel objectified.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: