Advanced search

To take DH to A&E

(196 Posts)
DontGoIntoTheLongGrass Tue 30-Jan-18 12:40:39

I'll try to make this quick as I have a habit of rambling on.
Basically dh wants to be tested for a genetic condition which his dad has which fuses the spine. He has every symptom. Dh is at the point now where he cannot move for the pain and he is getting no sleep because of it. He is on strong meds but they do nothing. An x-ray is required for diagnosis but the doctors will not refer him for one. They give him more pain meds which dont touch the pain.
Aibu to take DH to a&e to try get the x-ray next time he wakes up in the night screaming in pain? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I know the consensus on mn over wasting the doctors time at a&e. I'm just struggling to see my DH in so much agony every day.

Paintspotsonthefloor Tue 30-Jan-18 12:42:06

Personally, I would change my GO to one who would refer him for an x-ray.

Paintspotsonthefloor Tue 30-Jan-18 12:42:26

GP, obviously.

Macandpeas Tue 30-Jan-18 12:43:12

If he's waking up in the night screaming in pain of course yanbu to take him to A&E.

DemolitionLover Tue 30-Jan-18 12:43:17

Well it isn't an accident or emergency is it so don't go. Go back to the GP.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 30-Jan-18 12:43:29

He needs to change GP. If the condition is Ankylosing Spondylitis then her really needs to change GP as there can be effects in other parts of the body.

DixieFlatline Tue 30-Jan-18 12:43:30

What is the reason for the refusal to refer for X-ray? Is it possible that the management would be exactly the same if it was determined that he had this particular problem?

Idontdowindows Tue 30-Jan-18 12:44:37

Change GP. Your GP is unreasonable.

PotatoesOfTheCarribean Tue 30-Jan-18 12:44:45

Definitely change GP

Macandpeas Tue 30-Jan-18 12:46:03

Op on quite a few threads recently where posters have been rude and patronising just like @demolition has on your thread it's turned out that the poster had sepsis in one case and an ectopic pregnancy in the other so please take no notice.

Greensleeves Tue 30-Jan-18 12:46:19

Hell yes, if he wakes up screaming in pain take him to A&E! Can he actually walk when he is in that much pain? If he can't, call an ambulance. That is what they are for!

Sod the MN orthodoxy that "nobody must ever go to A&E, and that every time someone calls an ambulance a kitten dies"

ADuckNamedSplash Tue 30-Jan-18 13:20:59

YANBU, but don't hang your hopes on A&E being able to sort him out sad. I wound up there myself last night, having been in agonising pain all day, which codeine wasn't touching. All they did was give me a dose of Oramorph, which did nothing other than take the edge off, and sent me on my way again - said they couldn't send me home with anything other than codeine and to see my GP if I needed something stronger. (I then phoned my GP this morning and was told they're fully booked for the next two weeks - phone again first thing tomorrow. Woe betide anyone needing medical treatment in this country - can't rely on the NHS for anything any more sad)

quarterpast Tue 30-Jan-18 13:29:33

If it's Ankylosing Spondylitis you are worried about, there is a blood test that can be done to test for it rather than an x-ray. Maybe go back to your GP and request this?

JuliannaBixby Tue 30-Jan-18 13:31:19

Agree on changing GP.

DH has a problem with his spine and he was referred for an MRI when we requested one.

I don't understand why a GP would keep a patient from being diagnosed confused

BexConnor Tue 30-Jan-18 13:36:18

Yes, go to A&E. Screaming in agonising pain IS an emergency (easy to say it isn't when you're not the poor person who has to endure it.)

Oh, and seriously kick off at the GP and demand the x-ray. Complain to whoever you have to complain to.

Nikephorus Tue 30-Jan-18 13:39:06

Change GP. It's not an emergency (in my opinion) as it's not unexpected - he knows he's going to be in pain. The GP should be sorting it & if they won't then put in a complaint, otherwise GP will be getting away it time & time again.

Greensleeves Tue 30-Jan-18 13:41:03

It is an emergency if he's screaming in pain and they don't know the cause.

This "never ever go near a hospital or bother a medic unless your head has actually fallen off" crap on MN is toxic and dangerous

Bluelady Tue 30-Jan-18 13:47:56

Change your GP and fast. At least a visit to A&E will result in the tests being done - eventually. Be prepared for a VERY long wait at the moment, could be up to eight hours.

BeyondThePage Tue 30-Jan-18 13:48:55

Basically dh wants to be tested for a genetic condition which his dad has which fuses the spine.

IF he were to be diagnosed, would the treatment - pain meds - change?

If no, then what is the point of tests/X-rays to get to the same place.,

if yes, then you need to ask why has the doctor refused to refer?

chocolateiamydrug Tue 30-Jan-18 13:49:33

well, you obviously don't know if his pain is down to the assumed genetic condition. It could be something completely different. But if he is crying in pain despite strong meds, I'd consider A&E.

Some posters on here have obviously never experienced excruciating pain if all they do is to suggest to change GP in your DH's circumstance. It's also silly to ask MN in that case because no matter how serious things are - if you are able to post on here, you do not require urgent medical help.

Hope your DH feels better soon flowers

Soubriquet Tue 30-Jan-18 13:50:02

God yes!

I've been to A&E three times with back pain. Had to get an ambulance out as I couldn't move and was in complete and total agony. I needed gas and air to even be able to get up into the ambulance.

Since I've been put on muscle relaxants, I haven't had a spell like it again but it was excruciatingly painful

LagunaBubbles Tue 30-Jan-18 13:53:31

Well it isn't an accident or emergency is it so don't go. Go back to the GP.

How rude, and ignorant to boot. It is an emergency because there is no obvious cause for the pain. It may or may not be connected to what OPs DH is worried about. If my DH had taken your advice he could have died as it was gallbladder pain.

StillMedusa Tue 30-Jan-18 13:54:19

If it's ankylosing Spondyltis he may have then it is a simple blood test that will identify him having the HLA-B27 gene and also inflammation, so I would definitely find another GP and go from there..ask also for a referral to Rheumatology.

My dad had AS very severely...GP fobbed him off and it was a chiropractor who recognised what it was and encouraged him to go back and demands tests... he was then put on medications which helped a lot fact he was able to go back to coaching Badminton until his 40s smile

However if he really can't move I don't see A+E isn't an option!

NotReadyToMove Tue 30-Jan-18 13:58:20

Agree with PP.
Change GP but if that isn’t working. Go to A&E.
Pain at that level needs to be looked at ASAP.

Riverside2 Tue 30-Jan-18 13:58:22

Dixie, that's a possibility but that's not a reason for refusing X ray, it could be something else and they need to know what's wrong.

OP the main thing is getting your DH seen so I would complain to the practice manager and see if they'll do an urgent referral but if your DH has unbearable pain, absolutely go to A&E.

Im stunned at your GP, WTAF is their problem?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: