Talk

Advanced search

to think fabric softener is a waste of money?

(229 Posts)
k2p2k2tog Tue 30-Jan-18 09:10:20

Know MN loves a laundry thread....

We don't use separate fabric softener or fabric conditioner in the washing machine. My clothes don't seem to be crusty or stinky washed with normal powder or the capsules and nothing else. No complaints from the other people who live in this house. Also the marketing of those "unstoppables" things - who on earth would want to walk around smelling of washing powder or fabric conditioner? Isn't that what body spray and perfume is for? And those products to get bacteria out of clothes - totally pointless for a normal wash.

All those plastic bottles of fabric conditioner.

Youshallnotpass Tue 30-Jan-18 09:12:02

I haven't used fabric softener in years either, completely agree.

Riverside2 Tue 30-Jan-18 09:12:16

It is pointless yes
Also I heard it can mean clothes take longer to dry.

Margomyhero Tue 30-Jan-18 09:13:51

I haven't used softener for many years.

Laundry is clean and smells fresh.

Why would you want the whole family to smell of Oriental Lily Blossom ? hmm

LovingLola Tue 30-Jan-18 09:14:02

Have a read of what chemicals are in fabric softener.
Have never used it.

dementedpixie Tue 30-Jan-18 09:14:08

I don't like the feel of the wet clothes when i don't use it. I use one of the white sensitive ones just because I like the smell

DaisysStew Tue 30-Jan-18 09:15:08

My clothes are ok for one wash without fabric conditioner but after a couples of washes they turn to cardboard. I love the smell of them with a bit of Comfort in the wash as well.

SeraOfeliaFalfurrias Tue 30-Jan-18 09:15:40

I'm with you, it's pointless stinky stuff. We use white vinegar instead as we're in a hard water area, does a great job.

jemjemjem50 Tue 30-Jan-18 09:15:53

Strawberry and Lily 😍😍

FreudianSlurp Tue 30-Jan-18 09:19:37

I've never used it on towels (it stops them being absorbent) or sheets, and recently stopped using it all together. Like a PP, I've switched to white vinegar in the final rinse which removes any soap residue and softens the clothes - they don't stink of vinegar though.

Bluelady Tue 30-Jan-18 09:19:41

Haven't used it for 20 odd years. Clothes are fine and smell clean, not of some vile artificial nastiness.

PiffIeandWiffle Tue 30-Jan-18 09:20:43

I use it & like the smell.

I notice the difference in smell if I don't use it.

Ragwort Tue 30-Jan-18 09:21:13

Never used it - what is it's purpose? confused Yet another marketing ploy to make people women guilty about how they wash their clothes.

PiffIeandWiffle Tue 30-Jan-18 09:22:06

Why would you want the whole family to smell of Oriental Lily Blossom

Surely if you don't use it they just smell of "Persil non-bio" or whatever else you use? Much of a muchness surely?

ShatnersBassoon Tue 30-Jan-18 09:22:10

It's the same principle as hair conditioner - it softens and fragrances. It's hardly vile grin

blackteasplease Tue 30-Jan-18 09:22:52

Personally I hate the smell of it and some people use far too much .

UnimaginativeUsername Tue 30-Jan-18 09:23:55

I’ve never used it. Neither did my mum growing up. My clothes and towels are soft and smell nice regardless. I’m not entire sure how or why one would actually use it.

But I don’t really care if other people do use it.

gamerchick Tue 30-Jan-18 09:25:06

It’s a preference, just like everything else. I love the stuff but don’t use it on towels. I also use the dettol stuff for blacks and very little laundry detergent as I’ve found blacks fade fast if you just wash them normally and I like my blacks to stay black until I get rid.

Use it, don’t use it.

TheScottishPlay Tue 30-Jan-18 09:26:42

I don't use fabric conditioner but do use a antibacterial/antifungal washing liquid mixed with ordinary laundry liquid in most washes.
It has made a massive difference to teen DS' sweaty clothes and sports kit. I sometimes had to rewash clothes as could detect a whiff when folding or ironing.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 30-Jan-18 09:28:34

I’m not entire sure how or why one would actually use it.

Like I say, it's for the same reasons as using hair conditioner. Fragrance and softness is added after washing.

As for how it's used, it goes in the drawer in your washing machine but isn't added to the drum until the final rinse.

Ragwort Tue 30-Jan-18 09:30:34

Never used hair conditioner either grin.

Butterymuffin Tue 30-Jan-18 09:35:41

I know some people who don't use it and presumably, like you, they think their clothes haven't turned to cardboard. I can tell you they have and after repeated washing with no fabric softener those clothes feel awful. Perhaps it's something you aren't aware of (as in the 'nose blind' advert)...

blueskypink Tue 30-Jan-18 09:36:05

Always use it. Very hard water here. I find it also stops static in synthetic material.

WorldWideWanderer Tue 30-Jan-18 09:38:22

I always use fabric softener. It does what it says it does...softens the fabric. Things come out beautfiully soft and after drying (in a tumble dryer, I can't have a line here) towels are SO lovely! It has never prevented them from being absorbant in my experience.
The softener also conditons the fabric and makes clothes last longer; and man-made fibres or wool - which can get very 'static' - do not do so when softener is used.

blueskypink Tue 30-Jan-18 09:39:11

Thescottishplay - can I ask what liquid you use? I really struggle to get sweat stains and smell from DS's rugby gear. Have tried all sorts - halo, scrubbing with green soap, soaking in soda crystals etc. Can't find anything that really works.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: