Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour's ivy destroying our fence

(32 Posts)
Hippee Sun 28-Jan-18 23:02:41

We have good relations with our neighbours (though they have been funny about us trimming a hedge to lower than about 12ft). A couple of years ago they asked us to replace a fence panel that was falling apart. We did. We have now realised that the ivy growing from their side of the fence is destroying the rest of the fence and we are expecting the demand for us to replace it. We have a roof attached to the fence which covers the log store attached to our garage - this makes it difficult to prune the ivy from our side and it has also grown up over this roof into our garage. Not sure if we can demand that they stop growing ivy up the fence, but we're a bit fed up that it's destroying a fence that we will be expected to replace. Any ideas about what solutions to suggest to them?

SD1978 Thu 30-Aug-18 09:47:00

Why are you solely responsible for replacing the fence?

Daddys Sun 02-Sep-18 09:44:11

I took legal advice re ivy and was told it is ok to plant it on your land next to a neighbouring fence. The face the ivy attaches to will most likely be just inside your boundary. The neighbour cant tell you what to do on your own land. All fences rot in time. I know ivy is unpopular but opinion seems quite divided on its destructive powers. Some argue it provides protection against bad weather. The key is how responsible the owners are about keeping it trimmed

Daddys Mon 03-Sep-18 15:17:33

One neighbour can't demand next door replaces a rotten fence or part thereof. If you can't be bothered or you don't want ivy grown on it, then do nothing and the neighbour can't tell you what to do on your own property. I keep reading you are not allowed to attach or grow or paint anything on a neighbour's fence but am curious about how authentic this advice is. Criminal damage maybe? Possible but you try getting a cop to prosecute in those circumstances.

LakieLady Mon 03-Sep-18 19:20:41

Harriet, brushwood killer supposedly kills ivy.

I'm going to try it on some particularly rampant stuff that seems determined to take over part of my garden. Hacking it back just seems to make it stronger. The trunk is really thick now, and it's so vigorous there's a pair of wood pigeons nesting in it.

I feel mean about the wood pigeons, but they can move a few feet and nest in the hazel tree instead.

ToadOfSadness Mon 03-Sep-18 19:38:23

Our garden is bordered by ivy on 3 sides, it had been neglected when we moved in.

I had someone dig up as much as possible at the back, it was also growing into the trees. Some of it was growing into the shed, what I did with that was to get some stump killer and put it into a small water bottle with a pop up top (Volvic is good for this, the really small ones) and top it up with water, I use quite a lot of stump killer. Remove the leaves from one of the stems of ivy, cut the end off and break it up a bit so that it will absorb moisture, thread it into the hole in the bottle top, push the top on and wrap it all in a supermarket fruit & veg bag, twisting the handles round the top to keep it in place.Over time the ivy will suck up the liquid and start to die.

An alternative is to drill a hole in the base of the ivy and fill it with stump killer.

I find these methods are better than dumping glyphosphate on the plant, and it doesn't harm the environment as much. You can easily top up the stump killer.

(Not suggesting you put any of the neighbour's ivy into a Volvic bottle, of course).

Sorry10 Mon 03-Sep-18 19:53:41

We had Ivy that had gone really overgrown that damaged fence and been left too long. NDN offered to get rid as they knew a gardener and we paid 1/2 for new fence and posts .
I'd get rid of ivy completely as it's pointless replacing fence panels just will keep getting damaged.

nannybeach Sun 10-Mar-19 12:04:59

No advice or help, but huge sympathy with you, we own our property, the side of fence the belongs to our neighbours, has ivy and brambles with stems 4inches in diameter, that have broken down the fence when it falls, it falls our side ruining our garden. The wooden posts are rotten at ground level, so there is nothing to hold them up. We replaced "our" side last year, (have great neighbours there) These others are young,plenty of money(brand new cars, holidays abroad, good jobs, no kids), but dont touch the house or garden, we have ended up doing it, this is the third garden this has happened to us. We even bought a detached house thinking this would help, unfortunately, not.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »