Talk

Advanced search

What small habits you have that make your life better?

(180 Posts)
misscheery Sun 28-Jan-18 10:20:41

Obviously posting here for traffic

As part of "new year new me"resolutions, I am trying to establish a set of habits/small things to do in order to be either happier/healthier or look better/be smarter

What I do now-
-Gym 3 times a week (either zumba or cross fit for now)
-Have a nice cup of tea in the morning
-Reading 30 mins a day either the book I am currently reading or a nice magazine
-Bubble bath

Nothing else crosses my mind now. What do you do?

I hope this post makes sense as I have an grinexam tomorrow and am a bit crazy today

ginorwine Tue 06-Feb-18 23:10:10

Buying non iron dresses and trousers for work
Wash- hang to dry / wear
Decide on a theme for outfits for the week
Eg
Dresses
Trousers and tops
Less thinking required early mornings !

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Thu 08-Feb-18 03:48:36

Bump! I have nothing useful to add. sad

LolitaLempicka Thu 08-Feb-18 04:16:45

peanutbuttercheese we do the timed housework here too. 20 minutes each morning and night (sometimes there are three of us living here, sometimes just me) the house is always visitor ready now.

Johnnycomelately1 Thu 08-Feb-18 04:30:04

I am making a list from this thread. All my NYR went tits up in a fog of flu and jet lag..........but fortunately I live in China so we get another NY in 2 weeks so I can start again grin

Definitely

- eat the frog
- do my mobility work while I'm watching TV
- No phone between 9pm and 7am
- Body lotion

user764329056 Thu 08-Feb-18 04:34:58

definitely never watch anything in real time, either record or just pause for a few minutes so I can fast forward through adverts, I loathe them with a passion, just noise pollution to my already overcrowded brain

misscheery Thu 08-Feb-18 05:29:22

Bumping this as I can see you guys loved it. Thanks everyone for their contribution!

IfyouseeRitaMoreno Thu 08-Feb-18 05:36:54

I’ve established lots of good habits this year but the one I can’t conquer is putting my phone down at night.

It ruins my sleep but I’m addicted blush

Timefortea99 Thu 08-Feb-18 06:30:39

Getting up 40 minutes before getting ready. Cup of coffee & breakfast telly to wake up properly.

Walk at least 10,000 steps a day.

Using a list app - if I am stressed about work I just add to list and forget about it until I get to walk.

Don't try and change people or their opinions - waste of time.

Getting my stuff together the night before (clothes, accessories etc), ensuring that phone is charged.

Meal planning and weekly shop. Anything we run out of goes on a list immediately.

Charity bag so when it gets full up, off it goes to be donated.

Don't stockpile. Buy what you need. There is always an offer somewhere so you don't have to rush and buy xx before you need to. Cuts down on clutter and waste and money. Sometimes I have bought toiletries in bulk, and then decided I wanted to try something else, and then the original stuff sits there, unused and given away or binned.

Moisturise feet everyday. Saves those marathon foot grooming sessions when the sandals come out.

namastayinbed Thu 08-Feb-18 06:38:43

Putting my Pjs on and washing my face when the kids go to bed ready for a thrilling evening of tv

CheeseyToast Thu 08-Feb-18 08:13:40

Timefortea I really like your list! Especially the one about not stockpiling. I so agree. I tend to sail pretty close to the wind with groceries as I'm really keen to reduce waste. it's amazing how long you can last with "nothing ".

falang Thu 08-Feb-18 08:34:15

Marking place to read after work. Some of these are brilliant.

ferrier Thu 08-Feb-18 08:47:12

Having a to do list and crossing them off as I go.
Meal planning.
Nail polish.
Baths.

ScreamingValenta Thu 08-Feb-18 08:52:09

Plan my work clothes for the week on Sunday night. Saves the half-asleep 'what shall I wear?' phase in the morning where I used to wander round in a zombie-like way plucking things from my wardrobe and discarding them.

falang Fri 09-Feb-18 08:00:26

I get up and do one small job when the adverts come on. Put the washing up away, start the washing off, put shoes away etc.

wakemeupbefore Fri 09-Feb-18 08:21:03

I delegate. Heavily.

quirkychick Fri 09-Feb-18 11:39:32

Great idea. A few years ago I was on the 52 changes thread, which was about making little changes each week. Some of them have stuck, some not grin.

Yoga every morning, either Yoga with Adriene on YouTube or Shiva Rea dvd, made easier with yoga mat, blocks etc. in the corner of living room.
Headspace meditation, app on my tablet, even if only a quick 1 min one
Getting everything ready the night before, encouraging dd (12) to do the same
Meal plan, but I have a quite basic guide, rather than detailed:
Monday - Fish
Tuesday - Taco night (Mexican of some sort)
Wednesday - Fish
Thursday - wildcard (whatever we fancy)
Friday - Fish
Saturday - Meat
Sunday - Slow cooker meal, after day out
No housework rota, as such, but a weekly list of what to do, that gets done in priority order
Using Fitbit to track steps and MFP to track food
Going to bed early and no screens after 9pm

Pompom42 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:44:33

Have a nice candle burning every night whilst I’m relaxing and watching tv. I also have a stockpile.
I buy a luxury hand wash to use (this makes me happy)
I meal plan and I never used to. I buy the food for the whole week, freeze some and leave some in fridge and since January it’s been working very well as I was finding I was going to my local shop most days and spending a small fortune.
I post 1 photo on Instagram every day. I find the pics comforting to look back on (say from this time last year)

halfwitpicker Fri 09-Feb-18 12:32:37

We have a kettle in the bedroom and a cafetiere. We take milk in insulated cups up the night before and make coffee upstairs - saves time and distractions in the kitchen when you go downstairs to make a drink and end up doing other things instead of getting ready. Nice at the weekend too!

^

This has gotta be my fave

wink1970 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:40:42

most days if I am working from home I have short nap after lunch (as part of my self-allotted time as we're not clock watchers). I set the alarm for 10 mins, get on the bed & pull a throw over myself. I wake up energised and un-stressed.

Highly recommend it!

areyoubeingserviced Fri 09-Feb-18 12:45:43

Fixed time for exercise-
Make lists and cross off things
Iron clothes as I go along
Wake up one hour earlier

meredintofpandiculation Fri 09-Feb-18 13:10:23

Smile at myself every time I look in the mirror. It makes my face much more attractive and thus makes me feel more accepting of the rest of my bocy, and it's always good to have someone smile at you.

livoh Sat 10-Feb-18 12:40:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Loveache Sat 10-Feb-18 12:50:29

Putting a few euro coins or two-euro coins into a money box whenever I have a lot of change. It adds up eventually and I buy myself something nice I otherwise 'can't afford'.
Every evening, think of three nice things that happened.
For an early start, arrange every last little thing and lay it out before bed.
Put mending aside asap and then just do it.

Tillymintsmama Sat 10-Feb-18 13:23:01

Fabulous thread. smile I'm going to attempt to compile a list of some that appeal to me.

polkadotrocks Sat 10-Feb-18 13:28:54

Just marking my place...loads of great ideas

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: