Talk

Advanced search

What small habits you have that make your life better?

(180 Posts)
misscheery Sun 28-Jan-18 10:20:41

Obviously posting here for traffic

As part of "new year new me"resolutions, I am trying to establish a set of habits/small things to do in order to be either happier/healthier or look better/be smarter

What I do now-
-Gym 3 times a week (either zumba or cross fit for now)
-Have a nice cup of tea in the morning
-Reading 30 mins a day either the book I am currently reading or a nice magazine
-Bubble bath

Nothing else crosses my mind now. What do you do?

I hope this post makes sense as I have an grinexam tomorrow and am a bit crazy today

Charismam Sun 28-Jan-18 10:21:57

sending my washing to the launderette

misscheery Sun 28-Jan-18 10:24:15

@Charismam I consider using an ironing service soon as I freaking hate ironingangry

lemony7 Sun 28-Jan-18 10:29:21

Meal planning. Takes the stress out of day to day life, and we all know where we stand with meals. Plus there’s less waste and shopping costs less.

SnugglySnerd Sun 28-Jan-18 10:31:19

Putting everything ready the night to avoid stress in the morning.

Charismam Sun 28-Jan-18 10:31:32

Do it! Best 17 euro I spend all week. I'd give up a lot of things before I give up that. All the towels and sheets too, I just don't have the space to dry all that. I hate having sheets hanging off doors in winter!

A woman I know who blew 50 euro visiting a medium laughed at me for sending out my laundry! Each to their own!!

mumpoints Sun 28-Jan-18 10:35:10

Taxis when I'm in town (rather than tube or bus). Expensive but the lack of stress of getting a little one through the rush hour is worth it.

smellfunny Sun 28-Jan-18 10:35:50

- Giving the house a quick tidy and clean (mostly just wiping surfaces) before I go to bed. Makes me feel calmer in the morning.

- Putting music on when taking a shower

Raver84 Sun 28-Jan-18 10:36:46

Getting up an hour early before everyone else to workout then have a huge cup of tea and read the news online in total silence.

TheStoic Sun 28-Jan-18 10:37:34

No phones in the bedroom.

Sitranced Sun 28-Jan-18 10:38:04

Phones don't come into the bedroom at night and my sleep is so much better. I bought an actual clock to use as alarm.

Excited101 Sun 28-Jan-18 10:40:08

Making my bed before I go to work, I can see it when I come come at the end of the day and it's so much more plesant when it's neat and tidy.

Putting the radio on when I wake up. I'm only getting ready for 15-20 mins before I leave but it's a bit nicer now!

Taking dried washing off of the drying rack when it's dry rather than when the next load is ready to go on, gives me some living room space back!

Having a constant pile/bag for the charity shop on the go means things get put in it straight away rather than lingering still in cupboards and forgotten about.

InspMorse Sun 28-Jan-18 10:42:26

Another one who gets laundry done.
Not all the time but when jobs around the house or at work are building up. It's brilliant.
We're lucky to have a spotlessly clean laundrette nearby & the service is great. They wash, sort, fold & if you want, iron.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 28-Jan-18 10:42:31

Teaching my children when they were younger to ask other people how their day was when they get home. I always ask them and they ask me, sometimes they get in first and ask me. They are teens now and it feels so lovely to have that chat. Sometimes they are long, sometimes they are brief but it helps us all stay close and I really feel it helps the harmony in the house with teens. They genuinely listen and know I’m listening to them.

Ophelialovescats Sun 28-Jan-18 10:42:44

Got rid of my middle class guilt and got a cleaner!

Birdsgottafly Sun 28-Jan-18 10:45:59

Tidying as I go, decluttering and having 'a place for every and everything in it's place'.

Finally having a skin care routine (at nearly 50!).

Food planning so I'm eating well.

Picking what and how much News I read.

I'm working hard on my terrible timekeeping, so that I'm less stressed.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 28-Jan-18 10:48:54

Light a candle in the bathroom while I'm showering

Remembering to wear perfume every day by putting the perfume with my "every day" products in the bathroom and not caring if it evaporates as it isn't a posh one and was a gift from a student

Having my "everyday" bathroom products lined up on the most accessible shelf

Asking for a second water bottle for Christmas so now I have one at home and one at work and don't have to carry it back and forth or agonise about forgetting it

Laying out everything the night before and making DH's and my lunch and everyone's breakfast and afternoon snack

fortifiedwithtea Sun 28-Jan-18 10:52:55

I have a large box in the hall and everyone has to put their shoes in it when they come in.

I fold sheet, duvet cover and extra pillow case into a pillow case. Then I can grab a full bed set out the airing cupboard. Saves hunting around.

Hang plastic re-cycling bad off the sink cupboard door. I rinse my plastics and put them into the re-cycling bag straight away.

The rest of the house is a shit tip and would love some ideas

Peanutbuttercheese Sun 28-Jan-18 11:04:51

Timed housework, DH and I decided one hour tops yesterday and attacked chores like this together. We achieved a lot.

Make phone calls whilst doing non noisy chores I make my calls when folding and putting away laundry or making dinner.

Don't buy anything unnecessary, so many people go on about de cluttering I just don't buy in the first instance.

Going for small walks often for a breather, I have been known to nip out for a 15 minute walk about three times a day if I'm at home.

Record any tv programme you want to watch so you never watch adverts.

Never attend any event or function you don't want to. From a small get together up to the big ones like family weddings. I do a little cost benefit analysis in my head that is literally, time vs cost vs how much I like the people. So when DH cousins got married we didn't go as neither of us is keen on him.

Sgtmajormummy Sun 28-Jan-18 11:05:20

Using good quality stuff daily. It makes routines a bit more "Zen" and less of a drudge.
In one house we lived in I used to say "Good morning, lovely sink!" every day to my double stainless steel corner FRANKE model. Now I have an easily stained Fragranite model I do not feel the love for!

The same goes for cooking equipment, purse, pens, handcream...
Not necessarily expensive things, just right for the purpose.

misscheery Sun 28-Jan-18 11:13:14

Wow!! I can use so many of these!

I'm quite bad at meal planning and I need to change this as our freezer is full!

Butteredparsn1ps Sun 28-Jan-18 11:16:11

A tiny thing, but putting 2 bin bags in each bin, changing just the inner one each time.

The inner one slides out easier, and if it fails there is a second outer bag to catch it.

misscheery Sun 28-Jan-18 11:17:10

@Peanutbuttercheese Oh that made me laugh. Normally when I'm cleaning/making dinner etc I'll phone my future MIL as she loves being called because she loves talking A LOT. By this I accomplish 2 things: mAke her happy AND not be bored. Job done

LBOCS2 Sun 28-Jan-18 11:19:22

We have a hello fresh/gousto box for the days I work. It just takes the mental load of thinking things up for dinner every evening off me.
It's a complete extravagance, but it makes our lives so much easier.

I get up half an hour before I wake the DC up so I can get myself ready in peace. It's horrible getting up even earlier than I need to but it makes my day start better.

My NY resolution was to finish things. I'm terrible for doing 3/4s of a job - getting everything for a project but not finishing it; clearing clothes or books but having them hanging around the house for ages because I don't get rid/put them in the loft. I'm ticking one thing off a week at the moment and it makes me feel very happy. My reward for when I'm done with my half jobs is to start a new project - redecorating my kitchen 😁

Leilaniiii Sun 28-Jan-18 11:21:11

Teaching my children when they were younger to ask other people how their day was when they get home.

I love this! And am adopting it forthwith.

rothbury Sun 28-Jan-18 11:27:26

Getting up early is so lovely. It's peaceful and sets you up for the day to have a leisurely cup of tea and breakfast, listen to the radio, read a book (no screens) Even if you spend some of the time emptying the dishwasher while the kettle boils and tea is made, it's something you won't have to do later when you are frazzled.

I also have stopped buying loads of crap and only buy naice things and I actually use them rather than just storing them and looking at them.

Sgtmajormummy Sun 28-Jan-18 11:30:03

Oh, and my Resolution this year was to make one tiny improvement every day. So far they've ranged from stitching up a loose towel hem to building some flat pack!

Namechanged36 Sun 28-Jan-18 11:36:49

Georgie I think that's a lovely one (asking how the day was).
I heard my 6 year old grandson say to his mum the other day "how was your day mummy?" and I thought that was so nice.

andpeggy1 Sun 28-Jan-18 11:42:51

Using the app headspace, and meditating everyday for just 10 mins.

It's a wonderful thing to do to help destress and just help change your perspective on things. It's really freeing to do. And because it's only 10 mins you can easily fit it in to your daily routine

MisguidedAngel Sun 28-Jan-18 11:44:00

My resolution this year was to say "yes dear" to my OH when he's spouting a load of bullshit instead of engaging with him and arguing. If it's about politics we will never agree, if it's something else I am usually right, he knows that and I know that he will realise in the fullness of time, so why waste my breath.

I can't keep it up.

CheeseyToast Sun 28-Jan-18 11:45:30

I've been making a conscious effort to be more appreciative of people - making the effort to text, call, email or drive a bit further to visit. To listen better and generally be more supportive.

Yesterday we baked a cake and made cards for our (super special) neighbour, next we're making a book for my brother about something special to him.

Trying to be more patient with the kids and give them space to solve their own problems rather than offering advice (hard!)

Caprinihahahaha Sun 28-Jan-18 11:47:34

Getting up early is brilliant. You just get up and start the day instead of waking up and treating the act of getting out of bed as if it’s hideous
I think sleep seemed so precious that I started to be a bit obsessed with getting a lie in when it’s bollocks really
Getting up early is great

Annabelle4 Sun 28-Jan-18 11:47:57

Cooking in bulk and freezing dinners.
Pizza night once a week.
Getting a skip and decluttering the house.
Skin care routine.
Getting shellac nails once a month.
Sorting out my garden 3 years ago - now it's my favourite place in the world 😊

SparkyTheCat Sun 28-Jan-18 12:15:29

In no particular order: Meal planning. Yoga class once a week, paid in advance to make myself actually go. Collapsible crate lives in car boot for grocery shopping. Walk more. Learning the noble art of loafing smile Fruit bowl on my desk at work. Saying no to difficult/demanding people, and enjoying the relief afterward. Having a to do list (I'm a bit sad and often write in stuff I've done just so I can tick it off blush). Tidying up as I go. The bedding in a pillowcase thing mentioned upthread.

Snowysky20009 Sun 28-Jan-18 12:19:34

I get up an hour to an hour and a half earlier than the kids- have coffee, a cigarette (I'm trying to quit!), read the news, empty the dishwasher and washing machine, fill the tumble dryer, and have a shower. Then the chaos with the boys can start.
I have to drive ds1 to his bus stop, but ds2 can catch his bus right outside our house. Some mornings though I do drive him straight to school. I use the twenty minutes with both of them to find out what's going on in school that day, what homework needs to be completed, how their friends are, if anything is happening etc, I find it's just undivided attention they both get each day, and I find out a lot in that short time.
The boys are boys they aren't perfect and I do loose my rag now and then! But we have a rule that if anyone has a rant, they allowed time to cool down, and then we apologise (who evers fault it is). So arguments don't dwell over a day, a line is drawn underneath and we move on. Also we never go to bed on an argument. It's always apologies and I love you's before bed.
I meal plan for the week- this has really cut down on our food waste. But I must admit I do need to sort through both freezers, as they are full and I don't think I've looked in them since about September!
Get your kids interested in cooking! If I need mushrooms, onions, salad or meat chopping, the boys do it. They will also do things like bolognose and lasagne themselves.
Get your kids to do their own ironing- ds14 has just ironed his clothes to go out this afternoon.
I'm stealing the duvet cover tip- my airing cupboard is just stuffed to the brim!
I have a cleaner once a week, which has really helped (I'm registered disabled) although I do need to give her a bit of a nudge as the kitchen floor was steamed cleaned last week, but when I opened the oven door for example, the floor was filthy. Likewise around the edges are rank- it's like she's only cleaned the middle!
I'm starting this week on my wardrobes and bookcases. Both are filled to the brim. I have so much that I don't wear, but have kept 'just in case'- in case of what I don't know?! I like the idea of always having a bag for the charity shop on the go- again I'm stealing it!
I do my food shopping online, but it still takes me ages. I'm going to start keeping a list on the fridge door, that we can all add too as things run out etc, to help cut down on the time doing the shop.

Elouie Sun 28-Jan-18 13:03:13

I also get up before the children. If one of them wakes up before I'm ready it throws me completely out of kilter.

I'm going to try get up a bit earlier too to exercise.

Also amazing Alexa I've never listened to music so much and I love it. But the best thing about her is as you run out of things ask Alexa to put it on the shopping list and it goes into an app in my phone then at the time for shopping I go through the list and add the bits for the weekly meals. It has meant we don't forget things when we're shopping and I don't have to stop what I'm doing to write down what I need.

CupcakeWithIcing Sun 28-Jan-18 13:37:15

A bubble bath every Sunday with plenty of soaps and bath bombs and salts etc to feel lavish. Sometimes sneak a glass of prosecco in there too.

I have an hour to myself each morning to shower, wash my face, brush my teeth, brush my hair, do my make up and get dressed and have a coffee. I purposely put this in the kids routine. I needed time to myself and a pause from being a mum constantly. Just an hour to make myself look human and half decent. That hour before I get the kids up is absolute BLISS.

I make my bed each morning (as in change the sheets too) and clean the kitchen each night. Waking up to a clean house and going to bed in brand new clean bedding is so relaxing and much less chaotic.

Teaching the kids how to be independent and cope without being pandered too constantly. My eldest can make coffee and some basic meals for himself and his brother. Him and the toddler can put things away and help with basic housework. My toddler helps with the laundry. Basically have two slaves grin

I had the kids in a routine very early on. Made sure they slept through ect so I wasn't knackered and exhausted all of the time. Made sure they were fed and napped at certain times so they hardly ever cried or whined that they were hungry or tired. I was always complimented on how content they both were. Always smiling and placid and happy to chill out and plod along with life. And I always had time to do normal things without being stressed out with a newborn baby.

Lighting candles (even if it's just some tealights) each evening after the cooking, cleaning, kids bath time is finished and I have a couple of hours to catch up on my programmes.

Making sure the majority of my furniture has tonnes of storage. Now everything in my house has a place. And I help that by always putting things back where they are meant to go.

Because of all these things I have a very clean, very tidy, very calm household and I'm not the mum friend who is constantly moaning about the kids and the house and her life. Me, DH and the kids are all just chilled out, happy and relaxed. The neighbours must think we are on drugs.

Aquamarine1029 Sun 28-Jan-18 13:57:15

My house is tidy anyway, but I always make sure the kitchen is clean before I go to bed. Clean countertops, no dishes in the sink or on the drain board, and the hub is clean. I think it is very depressing to wake up to a messy kitchen and a horrible way to start the day.

ForalltheSaints Sun 28-Jan-18 14:29:28

Not staying up late for any tv programme and watching it on catch up a day or two later.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Sun 28-Jan-18 14:43:27

Meal plan and online shopping. I book the slot as soon as the last lot of shooing has been delivered and add things to it as the week goes on. Have spent a lot less this way. Also have a board in the kitchen to write on when something runs out. Everyone writes on it, even the kids.

I aldehyde shower before bed and wash my hair and dry it. Then in the morning I just have a face wash, makeup and straighten my hair. I put clothes out the night before too, including knickers, socks, tights etc. I also make packed lunches in the evening.

The best thing I did was leaving phone downstairs at night. Sleep better as don't faff around on it in the morning before getting up.

HLBug Sun 28-Jan-18 14:43:41

Put the kids to bed at 7.30pm then immediately put on own pjs and take off makeup / clean face with an oil cleanser and hot face cloth. It's utter bliss.

Also, employ a cleaner and spend a bit of time looking for clothes that make you feel happy and confident. Haircut every 6 weeks and shellac nails as often as possible.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Sun 28-Jan-18 14:49:30

Where do you people live who get your washing done?

tenaciousC Sun 28-Jan-18 14:51:29

Get up in time to always have breakfast and coffee by myself.

Write down family expensidutes with a fairly small 'petty cash' limit. DH and I each earn 6 figures but this has helped us save.

Leaving phones downstairs. More for DH than me but completely clocking out from work is important.

One evening a fortnight DH and I go out and get a babysitter. We take it in turns to plan the night. Sometimes a fancy meal. Sometimes sit in a cafe in silence / each other's company reading. Sometimes the cinema. Sometimes a walk with a liquid picnic. Massage ... anything. Lazer Quest last weekend was awesome.

We still completely loved each other without this but had become a child-raising team more than married. This habit of time together makes a massive difference.

NurseButtercup Sun 28-Jan-18 14:53:19

Only watch TV if there's something I want to watch instead of channel surfing. I'm now questioning my TV licence fee and I've cancelled my virgin TV subscription.

Switch off the WiFi at night - I have a better quality sleep. And I'm less tempted to look at my phone in bed.

Good luck with your exam tomorrow xx

BBTHREE76 Sun 28-Jan-18 14:55:33

Getting my gel nails every two weeks. This is totally non negotiable and having nice nails makes me feel so much happier and calmer.
Rediscovering reading a good book in the bath. I have gone from taking showers only to including also a couple of baths a week (more for relaxation than cleanliness). I have candles, a bath pillow, nice bath oil and a really good book and love it.

LittleMyLikesSnuffkin Sun 28-Jan-18 15:08:20

Getting up a tiny bit earlier than I need to so I’m not stressing in the mornings getting the kids ready to go out
Trying to go on my cross trainer every day for at least half an hour
Wearing make up every day
Stopped my Irn bru habit
Trying to eat better too but I comfort eat so often that’s a struggle

I have had depression for a long time and these are all things that make me feel better/less anxious generally. I still have depression but feel better about things than I did a year ago.

alpacawhacker Sun 28-Jan-18 15:14:38

I eat the frog first thing. In other words, do the thing I most feel like procrastinating on and am least motivated to do first thing in the morning. That may be before the kids get up or after they've gone to school, depending on what it is.

mumpoints Sun 28-Jan-18 15:16:05

Is "eat the frog" a translation? Never heard it before.

stevie69 Sun 28-Jan-18 15:17:32

Here are my 2018 good habits:

- batch cooking my work lunches so I can have healthy, high protein food (and avoid bread which just makes me sluggish and bloated)

- tidy around the house as I go: means I never really have to do any 'proper' housework (there's only me so it's not that onerous blush

- hit the gym four times a week and lift as heavy as I can go; I want to be ripped to fu*king bits by Christmas shock

- if it needs doing—and isn't likely to go away—do it NOW: one fewer thing to worry about.

Kingsclerelass Sun 28-Jan-18 15:22:17

What Raver84 said

Plus I bought a big tub for the utility room. Now I just open the door, throw plastic recycling & cans in the tub and shut the door. No faffing with bags. Much more fun smile

alpacawhacker Sun 28-Jan-18 15:25:35

mumpoints

It's from a Mark Twain quote.

“If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the biggest one first.”

VapersNest Sun 28-Jan-18 15:29:34

Meal planning in general, but shopping for and prepping my work packed lunches specifically. I've lost nearly stone in January by just planning and then eating what Ive are, rather than getting starving and buying crap!

Allowing myself time to 'pamper' (for want of a better word) myself. Just close the bathroom door and have a bath, shave, moisturise, fake tan etc without prioritising other stuff, FGS! I feel so much better for it.

VapersNest Sun 28-Jan-18 15:29:50

*what I've got

YearOfYouRemember Sun 28-Jan-18 15:51:34

Meal planning is probably the thing that makes life so much easier and also causes me so much stress when I don't so I don't say number one best job.

I've failed to train my kids to get things ready the night before. They still refuse too. We still have the printer spitting things out at 7 am and only last week I had to drop everything to dash to school with something DS2 had forgotten.

LifeBeginsAtGin Sun 28-Jan-18 15:57:47

I have a box of cards and postage stamps ready for last minute birthdays, or occasions I have forgotten. I also have a drawer with gift wrap, sellotape and scissors.

Calendar on the wall for EVERYONE to add to.

We have a box in the kitchen cupboard for recycling to save going outside every time.

I have a cleaner, window cleaner and mobile dog groomer.

We have always done shopping lists (notepad and pen on the sideboard) and then do weekly online shopping. We still have to do top ups though.

Routine of washing, tumble/line drying, airing and put away asap.

YearOfYouRemember Sun 28-Jan-18 16:12:33

Ffs I'm giving up. So I think numbe one job.

I also write all cards needed for 1-2 months at a time and use a perpetual birthday calendar.

HunterofStars Sun 28-Jan-18 16:17:44

Writing a list to take food shopping with me. This means I know what to get and don't add anything I don't need.

Cleaning straightaway means it's done and I don't have to spend the rest of my evening procrastinating.

Getting my stuff ready the night before also helps.

Setting weekly goals helps me review my progress.

Spending time in the bath reading a self help book is not only relaxing but I feel better about myself afterwards.

Moisturising my skin after a bath by adding a drop of my favourite aromatherapy oil to my body lotion helps me relax and my skin feels softer too.

Nightmanagerfan Sun 28-Jan-18 16:29:23

Love all these!

Mine are:

Making overnight oats (40g oats, handful of frozen fruit and almond milk in small container) which I eat on the tube to work. I could never eat first thing and if I waited until I got to the office I felt like I was wasting time making food while everyone else was working. It’s easy, tasty and cheap!

- taking coffee to work in a reusable cup instead of buying en route. Saves £2 a day and I really enjoy it. I get it ready the night before and just pour water on the filter in the morning when making my tea

- freezing leftovers to take for lunch. Healthier, cheaper and no extra work (apart from remembering to take out of freezer)

- using my nice things eg face cream,candles. Life is too short

Cauliflowersqueeze Sun 28-Jan-18 16:33:12

The sleep app “sleep cycle”

Ordering a takeaway once a week

Taking an Uber rather than waiting for a bus sometimes

misscheery Sun 28-Jan-18 16:36:24

Wow, these are so good! I love so many of these and I'm actually making a list now, out of all the stuff you said.

I loved the overnight oats recipe, buying stuff for it tomorrow!

Thanks everyone! You are lovely peoplesmile

SnugglySnerd Sun 28-Jan-18 16:37:51

I have a box of birthday cards but why has it never occurred to me to put the stamps with them?? I waste so much money buying stamps because I can't find them.

rothbury Sun 28-Jan-18 16:39:08

Night please don't encourage people to eat on the bloody tube <<vom>>

misscheery Sun 28-Jan-18 16:40:12

@ApplesTheHare love it! In a similar tone, I guide myself after the "if it takes less than 2 mins to do it, do it now" quote

wineusuallyhelps Sun 28-Jan-18 16:45:33

I put make up on before the kids get up, so I know I'm ready for work. Wearing make up every day makes me feel more confident.

Have a range of nice shoes (not expensive) as it cheers me up.

Meal planning always.

Clean bathrooms daily for my own benefit. Doesn't take long as then they only need a wipe rather than Semtex grin

Tidy-ish kitchen with surfaces wiped before I leave the house (so I don't feel depressed looking at it when I get back).

MichaelBendfaster Sun 28-Jan-18 16:54:28

Having a cleaner.

I don't work in an office at the mo, but when I did I always got my clothes out the night before so I didn't have to think about it in the morning.

Buying expensive loose-leaf tea that I love, rather than having stuff that's just 'OK'.

Buying a coffee from an artisan cafe just once every couple of weeks; feels like a real treat.

Painting my toenails, just for me.

Babyroobs Sun 28-Jan-18 17:00:57

I really need to take up meal planning and do some batch cooking for the days in the week when I work. I'm in this horrible habit of having to stop at the supermarket every day on my way home to get something for tea.

areyoubeingserviced Sun 28-Jan-18 17:01:36

I agree with waking up early
Don’t listen to the news as much as I used to- too much depressing news
I exercise regularly- brilliant for body and mind
Read more regularly
Definitely use ironing service

misscheery Sun 28-Jan-18 17:02:17

@Babyroobs I know that habit and it's expensive and fattening😢

MadameBronte Sun 28-Jan-18 17:22:21

Having a cleaner who is good. And when I have to tackle housework I use lovely Method products and wear flowery gloves so it doesn't feel like such a chore.

Having a regular beauty salon appointment for waxing and manicure/pedicure so I always feel groomed, because when I feel groomed I feel happier.

Always burning a scented candle so our home always smells gorgeous.

Always doing a quick tidy before going to bed, so our home feels calm and organised in the mornings.

Wearing pretty, matching lingerie every day and expensive socks/tights, so even if you're just in jeans and a sweater you still feel a bit dressed up smile

Ski4130 Sun 28-Jan-18 17:28:02

I clean as I go, and straight away, a habit I try to get dh and dc to adhere to. Cleaning and tidying sucks the big one. putting it off just makes it a worse chore. We never go to bed without the dishwasher being emptied/everything ready for the next morning - lunch boxes, sports kits, homework etc

Meal planning and a good wall planner, I couldn’t work out who needs to be where, with what equipment and what we’re eating without them. They’re literally a lifesaver on our house.

Each dc has at least 5 white school shirts, and two full sets of PE kit and sports kit. That means we only do one white wash a week (result!) and I know they have a clean shirt every day if they need it. In a house where one dc plays in two school sports club, trains and plays in an out of school club, one dc plays in one school club and trains and plays in an out of a school club and one dc has Gym club twice a week, having enough spare sports kit is a lifesaver. We’d be chained to trying to get stuff washed and dry over night otherwise, and it’s full on muddy rugby, football and hockey kits so not stuff that can generally be re-worn.

Such boring habits, but make our lives so much easier day to day.

CheeseyToast Sun 28-Jan-18 17:32:46

Night and Misscheery you may like to try adding to your oats recipe

Sliced almonds
Coconut thread
Chia seeds
Cinnamon

I keep a box in the pantry with all dry ingredients pre-mixed.
With milk (I use soy but any is ok) and frozen blueberries, it takes 2mins in microwave and not hungry again for hours,

I always have a water bottle and a coffee keep cup.

misscheery Sun 28-Jan-18 17:38:58

@CheeseyToast just took a screenshot of that. YUM! Shopping tomorrow it is then. Thanks❤️

misscheery Sun 28-Jan-18 17:42:17

Now I quite wonder why everyone's life seems so put together and mine seems like a mess...

Even though I:
-Have permanently have my house clean and both clean as we go I'm never really happy and I think it could be better
-I am very organised, to the point it even drives me nuts

I need to use some of your wonderful tips

Aquamarine1029 Sun 28-Jan-18 17:45:15

My husband and I try to make Sunday an at-home-all-day day. Any shopping or going out to dinner we do on Saturday. On Sunday's we work together doing deep cleaning and laundry. He is a great homemaker and we have lots of fun together. We put on music or a movie and go to town making sure the house sparkles. He and I both believe very strongly that a clean house benefits your mental health/happiness tremendously. During the week if we need groceries, I use the shopping service at our store and my husband picks it up on the way home from work. I'm a pastry chef and my work day starts at 6am, so I always make sure all of my laundry is done on Sunday so I don't have to stumble around for clean clothes at 5 in the morning.

MissClareRemembers Sun 28-Jan-18 18:21:43

I sit for a quiet half hour after lunch and have a go at an online crossword. I put some classical music on in the background and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Listen to something funny on radio inplayer when making dinner.

Queenoftheblitz Sun 28-Jan-18 18:32:34

I've got three duvet cover sets plus 4 sheets lots of pillowcases and protectors.
Every three weeks I wash and dry them. They all then go on the duvet and mattress and pillows, like a babushka doll. Once a week I take the top layer off to launder.
This way I never mislay anything, it saves on storage space plus it seems like I'm only changing the bed every three weeks instead of 1.

Crunchtime1883 Sun 28-Jan-18 18:38:27

- downloading something to watch on my train commute (or a Kindle book to read) rather than wasting time staring at my phone & being bored.

- deleting Facebook app from phone as wasted too much time on it. Also putting phone ‘away’ and resisting looking at it all the time.

- meal planning. My 2018 resolution is to learn some new healthy recipes and I’ve downloaded a couple of books. Trying to eat more healthily as all the sugar I eat is making me feel crap.

- agree re getting clothes laid out and bag ready night before.

- I’ve bought a static bike so I can exercise at home (pregnant and no longer feel safe cycling outside). I’ve already done 100 miles for the month.

- de clutter regularly and every object has a home - return items to their home immediately after use.

Welshmaenad Sun 28-Jan-18 19:33:41

I got a cleaner six months ago and it's revolutionised my life. I have M.E. and should have got one long before, I capitulated when I had surgery that left me incapable and I've kept her because she's an angel.

I run notes on my phone, one is a two-week ahead running meal plan and the other is a full list of the contents of my main and backup freezer. As soon as my weekly shopping is delivered, I book a new shop for the following week, and edit as I go/organise my meal plan. I keep my freezer list up to date so I always know what I have in, and I can use five minutes of down time when I'm out and about to meal plan and update my shopping.

Bought both kids minimum five lots of 'base' uniform (polos and trousers) and make sure they're clean, dry and on hangers complete with pants and socks on a Sunday night, we then just have to add blazer/jumper (they have at least 2 apiece) and they're ready for the day, for a full week.

Likewise put together five work day outfits on hangers on a Sunday night complete with underwear, socks and matching scarves and have them hanging ready, I just pick what takes my fancy each day. No stressing in the mornings.

Buy cleaning products I like using (I'm a sucker for Method) - they are more expensive but make chores more bearable in between cleaner visits.

Frozen pre portioned smoothie packs mean I'm now having a smoothie every morning and getting more fruit and veg. I also make my own juices a few nights a week and freeze in portions.

Batch cooking on a Sunday if I can stand up long enough, for the fridge and freezer. I will prepare the filling for, e.g.,veggie shepherds pie on a Sunday and on Monday/Tuesday take frozen mash out in the morning to defrost, ready for coming home at 6pm, when I can just chuck the potato and some (gasp-pregrated) cheese on top of the filling and hung in the oven.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Sun 28-Jan-18 19:52:52

Gousto and a dishwasher. Amazing food that I enjoy cooking gets delivered every week. No more standing in the super market, mouth agog wondering wtf I’m going to cook tonight. Dishwasher for obvious reason.

Hopefully getting a cleaner this week. Balancing everything has been having a bad impact on my stress levels.

pangolina Sun 28-Jan-18 20:13:32

Meal plan and weekly shop- get it all over and done with rather than doing it sporadically through the week. I waste less food any money this way.

Make breakfast (if i have an early start) and lunch the night before. Breakfast of overnight oats or greek yoghurt with fruit, honey and nuts. Lunch of fish (mackerel or salmon) with a kale and spinach salad and either sweet potato chunks or rice/quinoa. Good hot or cold.

Load of washing every day.
Clean up and tidy every day.
Refillable water bottle and coffee mug.

I have forced myself to start either cycling or walking to work. I feel so much calmer and more relaxed for the extra exercise and fresh air; much better than sitting in the car getting annoyed by traffic.

Finally, leaving my phone in my bag when i get home. I waste far less time on it than i used to.

Butteredparsn1ps Sun 28-Jan-18 20:16:03

I like having a weekly pre booked supermarket delivery. It helps with meal planning and is a quick task in the weekly routine.

LokiBear Sun 28-Jan-18 20:17:29

Wine.

Welshmaenad Sun 28-Jan-18 20:23:15

Oh, when I make baked potatoes I buy a big bag of them and bake them all, wrap the spares in foil and freeze them. Out of freezer in the morning and in the oven with whatever else we're having like veggie lives, or bake in the microwave to eat with beans etc, very quick dinner for busy nights or when I'm too tired to cook properly for just me if the kids are with their father.

cheeseoverchocolate Sun 28-Jan-18 20:30:36

Try and get up one hour before DC.
Avoid screens at night.
Make sure I read an hour in bed before going to sleep.
Make a mental list of all the things that went well/I am happy about that happened that day.

As a result I feel much less stressed and much more content.

Giggorata Sun 28-Jan-18 20:34:05

I batch cook something to take into work for lunch during the week
I always make sure that car/house keys, specs and work entry card are in the bowl, which has saved hours of frantic searching in the mornings
I use the time it takes the kettle to boil to wipe/tidy/clean in the kitchen
Everything in the fridge is stored in tupperware-ish boxes so spillages are contained
All sachets and tiny food bits like stock cubes, vitamin pills, etc are stored in transparent hanging shoe racks cut into strips so they run down that wasted space in the door jamb in the larder and I can see where everything is.
All foil, cling film, rolls of bags, place mats, etc are in plastic covered wire baskets on the back of the larder door.
I have a small pretty box with just a few sewing bits on the shelf in the sitting room, so that I can make quick repairs without going upstairs for the big sewing box

I'm going to adopt the habit of getting clothes ready the night before.... if I get really good, I would like to copy the whole week's outfits idea...

Queenofthedrivensnow Sun 28-Jan-18 20:36:25

Amazing thread

ferriswheel Sun 28-Jan-18 20:50:50

Cant wait to read this thread properly.

Having drawers for school uniform only.

Leaving 20 minutes extra early for the school run.

Listening to the radio in bed.

A meal planner.

Going shopping only once a week. Saves heaps of money.

HopeAndJoy16 Sun 28-Jan-18 21:20:09

I'm really enjoying this thread!

We don't have a tv in our bedroom so we listen to podcasts in bed, taking it in turns to pick one. I sleep so much better than when I used to have a tv on. I'm trying to turn the tv off during the day too when I'm not actively watching something, rather than having constant background noise.

I'm doing the Walk 1000 Miles challenge this year, so I'm walking to all the baby groups/shops etc that I would have driven too. 3 miles a day is less than an hour of walking and it's nice to get the fresh air. Our car is getting a lot less use and I've lost 4 lbs already, without even trying.

I also meal plan, but that doesn't seem to stop the extra trips to Sainsburys midweek for some reason.

I have a folder with all the receipts of big purchases (oven, washing machine etc) and instruction booklets (the boiler one has been very useful) in one place so they're easy to find when needed.

MrsMozart Sun 28-Jan-18 21:32:52

In the process of decluttering. Need to feel the house breathe (or is that without th 'e'... brain fried)!

Working on getting up earlier including weekends.

Tidying up and sorting house and accepting it takes an age to paint but will be worth it, as will tiling the dining room/kitchen floors, and changing the bathroom - it'll all make me happier as will be clean and fresh (all been as is for over two decades, with the occassional lick of pain).

Putting my horses on full livery, which costs about the same as normal plus my fuel twice a day. The 'spare' time is immense! Maybe, when life is back on track I'll go back to DIY, but for now it's bliss.

Keep the car clutter free! And have it cleaned once a month. I'd love once a week but can't afford that.

Having a cleaner. It's a luxury, but I know that at least one day a week the kitchen will be topped 'n' tailed, and knowing she's coming encourages me to get on top of all the other Stuff!

Getting to sleep earlier, but not too early as then I wake at four, which isn't long enough and all gets in a pickle. Still working on changing to being an early bird. Doubt it'll ever happen, but working on it.

Um. Sure there's a load more, but brain gone phut.

MrsMozart Sun 28-Jan-18 21:36:10

Just thought of another one - checking my phone's drop-down list of stuff that's coming up.

Making sure all appointments go straight into my phone (see above point!).

Not making do - if something's not right then I'm not settling for it, unless the situation demands it. I've have years of it and enough. I'm too blinking old.

misscheery Mon 29-Jan-18 04:16:12

I am glad you people love this thread. I also love it, so many great people with great tips! Keep it coming❤️

Skittlesandbeer Mon 29-Jan-18 04:30:03

I sat down and made a list of the household jobs that give me the most stress (or procrastination!). Tackled it at the source.

Laundry:
-use ‘colour catchers’ in each load so I can do colours and whites together (at least 1/3 fewer loads now).
-bought an ‘octopus’ peg drier hangie thing, now even a 4yo can peg up all the teeny socks and knickers at their own height (as well as remove and put away).
-put a digital radio in the laundry, so can listen to audiobooks or podcasts while I sort.

I almost look forward to it now!

Skittlesandbeer Mon 29-Jan-18 04:38:58

Oh, and am a bit in love with my new app called Trello.

DH and I can update each other on joint projects (xmas presents buying, grocery list, home maintenance jobs, packing lists,etc) when we think of it, rather than texting/voicemail or just forgetting!

I also used it today to set up a list (they call them boards) for my DSIL who is pregnant with her 1st. I don’t want to bug her with suggestions, offers and bits of baby advice so I log it all on there when I think of something- like ‘don’t forget we still have a high chair if you want it’ and ‘by the way that cot bumper your MIL gave you at xmas? Ummm they’re verboten these days!’. She can see it, and choose to use it or not.

It means you can schedule a few minutes a day to look at projects/tasks, rather than be interrupted (or interrupt) your nearest and dearest. I can see it being useful for kids chores lists when mine gets older...

Certainly is making my life easier!

ELR Mon 29-Jan-18 08:04:42

After reading this thread last night I tidied my kitchen before I went to sleep. Just wanted to tell you all that when I got up this morning, it was lovely to walk into my lovely clean kitchen!

redfairy Mon 29-Jan-18 08:16:55

When I go to bed I switch the tv channel to the one I will want on the following morning. saves me about 2 seconds.

misscheery Mon 29-Jan-18 10:17:33

I made a list of all the wonderful tips here

I am starting with a massive clear out on Friday and meal planning for this week

Love you, nest of vipers❤️

Canklesofglitter Mon 29-Jan-18 11:32:04

I deleted all the games from my phone on NYE. Am already on my third novel this year. My reading time had been crowded out by stupid games. I feel better for it.

Joined a Rebelfit mission - ten minute exercise delivered to my inbox each morning. I feel fitter and stronger after just three weeks.

Children (12 and 16) have a job of the week. They do that job all week and then they can swap. This week the 16yo is on dishwasher duty and the 12yo is on rubbish and recycling duty.

YY to clothes, packed lunches etc ready the night before. I also clear the clutter out of my bag so I can easily change handbags if I want to.

We have a kettle in the bedroom and a cafetiere. We take milk in insulated cups up the night before and make coffee upstairs - saves time and distractions in the kitchen when you go downstairs to make a drink and end up doing other things instead of getting ready. Nice at the weekend too!

I try to get everything done by 9pm so I can wind down in the sitting room with nice candles for an hour. Only watch specific programmes on tv - it doesn't go on unless I know what I am going to watch. Otherwise I read.

I followed the "using your nice stuff" thread a few weeks back and have now chucked all my cheap make do products and am now using my "best" stuff like nice handcream and shower gel. Clothes too. Today I am using my buttery soft green Italian leather handbag. Sod saving it for best - I love it and I am using it!

Queenofthedrivensnow Mon 29-Jan-18 11:42:13

Ok so I have-

Put all the breakfast items except the milk on a tray the night before.

Take the kids to McDonald's once a week (humour me) we have swimming lessons straight after school so it's then. I'm so paranoid about unhealthy food but it's worth it for the getting straight home and kids in the bath not rushing and enables an on the dot bedtime after an extended story time. My kids do loads of exercise anyway I'm not worried about the impact on their diets.

Find some hacks - I've just asked the after school club to give my kids a packed tea (which I provide) on the day they stay late - again enables a decent bedtime and some quality time with me reading etc. This has worked really well.

Teach the kids to tidy and make them do it often. Dd1 has got really into this and actually enjoys it. We have just been given her home learning for a brownie badge about housekeeping and I signed off most of it in one go she was v pleased. Dd2 is shocking though!

SluttyButty Mon 29-Jan-18 12:05:20

Came off Farcebook, feel so much better without reading all the wailing, one upmanship tripe.

Have a weeks worth of white school shirts for DS so I only do one white was a week, makes a real difference.

Bought a dressing table and chair so my makeup and hair stuff is organised and I have face wipes and creams in view so I actually use them at night (always couldn’t be bothered if they were in the bathroom cabinet hidden).

Wear perfume every day, I like smelling nice even if I’m not going out.

Moved house last year so had a massive declutter and now we aren’t allowed to bring anything in unless it’s needed or essential. Clutter makes my head spin now.

Always have a notepad shopping list on the side of the fridge.

Next task for me is getting DH to get rid of his trillion T shirts that he won’t part with hmm

Queenofthedrivensnow Mon 29-Jan-18 12:05:25

Maybe limited to younger children but we have a box of card bases and stickers - the kids make all the birthday cards etc and like doing it.

Bulk buy birthday party presents. That tiger shop is amazing for gender neutral gifts under a fiver. We are always prepared

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now