Talk

Advanced search

Why oh why are my teenagers unable to turn lights off!!!

(14 Posts)
BigSandyBalls2015 Wed 24-Jan-18 10:53:35

Is it just something in their teenage mind that rights itself in their 20s?

Yet again this morning I'm first up and come downstairs to every fecking light on - kitchen has about 8 spotlights, all blaring, front room lamps on, hall light on.

The conversations we've had just fall on deaf ears.

So I wake them up for college/6th form with the rage and they look at me like I'm some mad unreasonable harridan.

BigSandyBalls2015 Wed 24-Jan-18 10:54:24

"Muuum, you need to chill the fuck down maaaan"

Babyroobs Wed 24-Jan-18 10:55:11

Of flush their turds down the toilet, or put a new loo roll on, or put an empty biscuit packet in the bin when they have taken the last one ? It's baffling but I have four of them doing it and it's driving me mad.

beautifulpheasant Wed 24-Jan-18 10:55:25

grin

Babyroobs Wed 24-Jan-18 10:56:52

And the one that drives me mad the most is the TV blaring away to itself on sky sports and no-one anywhere to be seen.

NataliaOsipova Wed 24-Jan-18 10:57:06

I have the same conversation with my 8 year old every day.....I thought it would get better when she got older 😂

WelcomeToThePartyPal Wed 24-Jan-18 10:57:23

Your children say "fuck" to you?! Tbh THAT would be my bigger issue!

MammaTJ Wed 24-Jan-18 10:58:56

Or shut doors!

2 pre teens here and they are incapable of putting the wood in the hole!

meredintofpandiculation Wed 24-Jan-18 10:59:48

Is it just something in their teenage mind that rights itself in their 20s? Only if they're paying their own electricity bills.

Oysterbabe Wed 24-Jan-18 11:14:33

My husband can't turn lights off. Or cover food properly to stop it going off.

monopoly5 Wed 24-Jan-18 11:47:41

I’m in my 30s, still forget to turn the lights off. Used to drive parents mad now it’s DH whi chases after me.

Need to get one of those light systems that I can turn off via my phone.

HildaZelda Wed 24-Jan-18 11:52:54

@Oysterbabe, I have the same problem, As for emptying a dishwasher, my DH seems to be under the impression that everything magically walks out and outs itself back in the cupboard! angry

bigbluebus Wed 24-Jan-18 12:27:13

It never ceased to amaze me that DS was fully capable of operating every light switch on the way from his bedroom to the kitchen to get something to eat but that it was impossible to reverse the action on the return journey. We once counted 24 light bulbs alight after one such mission. And it wasn't because he was carrying too much as he'd probably only take a bag of crisps or a biscuit.

movingtowardsthelight Wed 24-Jan-18 12:38:58

My rage comes from getting the house nice and toasty and they will come in, and just leave the front door wide open. Truly wide open not just a crack.

It’s only about 10 minutes later when I’m getting cold I realised that someone has gone out or come in. And yet again the door is wide open. Drives me nuts! Especially when my handbag is often in full view of whoever comes to the door.

I’ve taken to hovering and reminding them when the leave the house to come back and close the door. It’s still not getting through.

They do this with all doors around the house. I can be sat by a roaring fire and one will wander through and nip out into the garden through the conservatory......leaving huge doors wide open!!

Aaagghhh

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: