Talk

Advanced search

To be dreading the day ahead?

(215 Posts)
hidinginthenightgarden Wed 24-Jan-18 08:16:54

DS is off school ill. DD (age 2) is home with us.
DH is out from 7.30am-6.30pm and we are going to be pretty much housebound!
Even if DS feels up to going out a bit later on, the weather is awful and so far not suitable for parks, at best a ten minute walk when it dries up a bit may be possible. We normally go to a support group on Wednesdays but whilst I am very tempted to go (it is not for illnesses) I don't want to make anyone ill.
So far I plan to cook a pie (should take up an hour or so on and off), a short walk if the weather is okay, some painting, a morning bath for them and hopefully they will both have a nap.
That is not going to keep us busy for 11 hours!
I am already resenting DH (he booked onto a course this week to have a change from the office with no thought as to how this would impact on me and the extra work I have to put in alone) and feel like I am going to be snapping by the time he gets home.
The only light is that DS is eating much more than he did yesterday so is hopefully getting better.
Feeling very sorry for myself..

DancesWithOtters Wed 24-Jan-18 08:27:45

I would have a sofa duvet picnic day and watch about 10 Disney films in a row.

Poshindevon Wed 24-Jan-18 08:28:41

Your DH did not know your son would be ill when he booked his one day course. I assume the course is work related.
Sorry but you I think you are being unreasonable. When you decided to be a SAHM these are the sort of days that can happen. 6.30pm is not late.
Boohoo the weather is bad and DS is ill, I cannot believe your even came on here to moan when others have serious issues. Get a grip

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 24-Jan-18 08:33:26

Actually Posh, it is a full weeks course! He is out 7.30- 6.30 all week and whilst technically the course is work related, he has done it before and booked onto it purely because he wanted to be out of the office for the week. He told me so after he booked it.
And I am not a SAHM. I work part time.

MissionItsPossible Wed 24-Jan-18 08:35:50

I agree with both of the other posters. He didn't know your son would be ill and it's unfortunate the weather is crap(are you in the midlands? Pissing it down here...) and I think you should have the duvet and Disney day like the other poster recommended

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 24-Jan-18 08:37:10

Even without DS being home ill today, the extra hours alone mean that I am getting kids ready and (with the exception today due to illness) and out to where they need to be with 0 help, go to work, collect kids on my way home, make tea, clean up afterwards, put the washing on, bath the kids and will be putting them to bed too because he put one of them to bed last night whilst I went out, I still then had no hang the washing up when I got home!

Fekko Wed 24-Jan-18 08:37:35

A sick child won’t want to do much more than sleep and watch cartoons. Maybe have a nice bath.

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 24-Jan-18 08:40:53

Fekko, it is the other non sick child that is going to drive me mad because she is going to be stuck inside all day.

I don't think it is unreasonable to be dreading being stuck home all day with sod all to do. My AIBU was relating to that, not whether or not I can resent DH for making the shit day longer than it would have been.

Lukeandlorelai4Ever Wed 24-Jan-18 08:41:38

I can understand it's frustrating but it's not your husbands fault!
Break up the day by hours. So hour play dough, then movie.
Hour baking / cooking with the kids then some lunch.
Nap after lunch then a walk.
Home for bath and a movie then an hour playing with toys/building a den /playing with duplo
Bedtime for kids and wine for you

Thesmallthings Wed 24-Jan-18 08:42:11

Not really the worse thing is it? May be a bit boring stressy but that's life surely.

Bluedoglead Wed 24-Jan-18 08:43:52

7.30 to 6.30 isn’t exactly excessive hours.

heron98 Wed 24-Jan-18 08:44:32

I would rather be at home than at work. So don't complain.

Chienrouge Wed 24-Jan-18 08:46:44

i had DD2 when DD1 was 20 months old, and DH worked away Mon-Fri. No family nearby and no childcare. I feel your pain. If we had days stuck at home it was tough going. I always thought the anticipation of it was worse than the reality though. Do water play/crafts/baking/painting... and TV.

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 24-Jan-18 08:52:11

Heron being at home may be "better than work" when you aren't housebound!
I would rather go to work for a few hours or have the freedom to have fun with my kids. Our day ahead is not likely to be fun!
Bluedog, I think 11 hours at home alone with two kids and not being able to get out the house is quite excessive. My kids get cabin fever stuck in the house all day. As do I!
the fighting has already begun!

FormerlyFrikadela01 Wed 24-Jan-18 08:53:11

Is rather be at home all day than embarking in the absolute fucker of all shift runs today (think really shitty shifts for the next 17 days plus our child care has gone tits up so having to do something about that too).

It's one day.

PoisonousSmurf Wed 24-Jan-18 08:54:06

Duvet day and DVDs. Heaven!

Bluedoglead Wed 24-Jan-18 08:54:32

But really what you’re doing isn’t that exceptional. Loads of parents have to do it on their own every day.

Stick the tele on and watch a lot of dvds

Only1scoop Wed 24-Jan-18 08:55:13

Bloody Hell

I'd just get on with it

Chienrouge Wed 24-Jan-18 08:59:44

We had 4 solid weeks of it when they both got chicken pox one after the other!

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 24-Jan-18 09:00:33

I never said it was exceptional, I said I wasn't looking forward to it.
I posted looking for some support from other people stuck at home bored out their minds too!

Clearly because other people are worse off, no such support is available.

hidinginthenightgarden Wed 24-Jan-18 09:01:33

Chienrouge, apparently it is better than work. Please don't complain!
wink

Qvar Wed 24-Jan-18 09:03:51

That sucks balls. I hated being trapped in the house with ill kids.

Put the tv on and feed them biscuits to shut them up.

Onlinedetective Wed 24-Jan-18 09:04:17

I bet you're sorry you posted op!

I get you, it's going to be a long day. I hope it's not as bad as you are anticipating. Maybe the little one will have a big long nap.

Have you got a car? Can you go to a McDonalds drive through for lunch, eat it in the car park, then drive back round for an ice cream?

Then you could go to a car wash and your day would be almost filled!

user1466690252 Wed 24-Jan-18 09:04:57

meh, no big deal really. nothing special about being in all day. your over reacting

Idontdowindows Wed 24-Jan-18 09:05:18

I would not be looking forward to spending an entire day indoors, with the weather the way it is, with sick people either.

I totally understand it's not something you're looking forward to! Fingers crossed for little to no arguing and fighting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now