Talk

Advanced search

To think it's fucking shit if a tenant can get away with this???

(232 Posts)
NamechangerRanger6 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:43:57

My parents are landlords. My dad has unfortunately passed away so my mum handles it alone now. The last tenant was in the house for 8yrs. 3yrs ago being in and out of hospital and ill health meant that my mum stopped inspecting. There had been no issues at any inspections so it just didn't enter her head. She did however plan to inspect last year. I know this is heavily naive and if I knew this to be the case at the time I'd have advised her differently and offered to step in for inspections myself.

6 months ago the tenant very suddenly gave notice and moved out, mum went to inspect (I drove her) when the tenant had already left (the tenant wrote a letter and posted the key with it, so there was no time to inspect) What we found was absolute filth. Human and animal shit. Piss up the walls. Rotting food, the original furniture provided with the house was smashed to bits. Parts of the doors smashed in. The patterned red carpet was so dirty it looked a dark brown and you could see no pattern. There was a wet pile of bin bags up against the kitchen door, covered in fruit flies and maggots and god knows what else. I suspect this was the cause of the mold behind the door (the only mold on any fixtures we found - plenty of moody food, clothes and bits of carpet tho) Ashtrays turned up everywhere. The sofa had fag burns all over. Toilet ripped off the wall, bathroom sink smashed on the floor. Light fixtures hanging out by wires. There's more but honestly it would take all day to write it all. I can't think of anything that's been left undamaged.

Since then, the holes in the walls have been filled in and doors replaced. Carpets ripped up. A team of cleaners got the worst of the cleaning done. The total bill for this so far is £8000 (the cleaning alone was 2800, Trust me when I say I don't blame them for that price. It was horrific and I couldn't stand in the house for more than 10 seconds without heaving). Furniture cleared out etc etc.

My mum has sent the bill for all work to the now ex tenant, there was an initial response where they offered a £15 a month payment plan. My mum cried to me about it but accepted (fearing that if she pushed they'd pay nothing) after 2 months they stopped paying. She cannot at this time afford to have further works done. The total to have everything replaced even using the cheapest materials and not replacing like for like is about £35,000. She's looking at selling but has been advised that she'll be looking at maybe £45,000 as a sale price in the state it's in (in decent condition the house would be worth approx £150k).

My mum has been in contact with a solicitor but via some digging we've found out that the tenant has left the country - for Australia. Solicitor advises that if this is the case mum has an extremely slim chance of actually recovering any monies owed and chasing it across the globe would cost thousands upon thousands and likely require an international debt collection agency of some kind and the tenant can easily just ignore it.

Aibu to think this is fucking shit? sad
I know that my mum should've done things differently but it seems very unfair that you can just book a flight and go to skip out on your financial responsibilities

PrimalLass Tue 23-Jan-18 14:48:24

It is very strange that it went from ok to trashed in the last three years of the contract.

steppemum Tue 23-Jan-18 14:48:41

I am really sorry that your mum is in this position, but I have to say O am astonished at the £35,000 bill to replace. That sounds as if she is being ripped off.

A basic bathroom and kitchen don't cost anywhere near that, install those, paint everything white and sell it empty and bare.

WeAreEternal Tue 23-Jan-18 14:49:55

That’s awful, we’ve had a couple of horrendous tenants but nothing as terrible as that.

Can your mum not claim for the repairs on her insurance?

HappyLollipop Tue 23-Jan-18 14:49:55

It's absolutely terrible and that tenant was scum but I don't think there's anything else your mum can do but cut her losses and that's why inspections are so important to weed out evil dirty tenants like that.

NamechangerRanger6 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:50:02

I have no idea when the tenant started living like this, was it immediate or 6 months after the last inspection, a year? No later than that I don't think, I'm not sure there'd have been enough time to build that level of filth to be honest. I do wonder if the tenant had someone else move in with them or instead of them. But I don't know how we'd verify that. But I find it strange too when the tenant was previously fine.

FluffyWuffy100 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:51:07

Can’t see it costing that much to rip everything out and chuck in a cheap kitchen and bathroom and flooring and get it painted white.

Also this is why you need all insurance. And do regular inspections.

So difficult to get any retribution after the tenant has moved out.

Lockheart Tue 23-Jan-18 14:51:27

Won’t her landlords insurance cover it?

dementedpixie Tue 23-Jan-18 14:51:41

Did she not have landlord insurance?

Fattymcfaterson Tue 23-Jan-18 14:51:47

What's included in the £35000 bill?!

This is the risk you take when renting I'm afraid

WeAreEternal Tue 23-Jan-18 14:51:57

I’d also recommend looking on Facebook/eBay/gumtree for a second hand bathroom/kitchen, we’ve done this in the past when trying to fix up a rental house cheaply.

namechangedforthis54 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:52:41

That's awful, your poor mum. Wasn't there anything she coudl claom off insurance?

Is there a mortgage on the property? If not, I would sell up if I was her, she'll still have a nice nest egg out of it.

Ragusa Tue 23-Jan-18 14:52:50

There is no way a house that would usually sell for 150k would be sold for a knock down price of 45k, if it is structurally sound and (most) of the work is cosmetic. Who advised her of that?

namechangedforthis54 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:52:58

could claim!

Ragusa Tue 23-Jan-18 14:53:15

Yes, she should have landlords insurance - wouldn't that cover some of it?

Ifartrainbowsandglitter Tue 23-Jan-18 14:53:33

Surely her landlords insurance would cover this

Pengggwn Tue 23-Jan-18 14:54:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bluntness100 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:54:28

Yup it's shit, we had it happen to us, professional family, three kids, acquaintances if not friends, all inspections fine, handed in keys and we hadn't done final and fuck me, cat piss everywhere, my eyes were watering, and I heaved and had to leave, rubbish everywhere, walls and carpets a mess, we had to gut the place.

Happened to a friend of ours too, they actually graffitied the walls and smashed everything up then skipped out before final inspection. That was let via an agency as well. Lived there for years with no issues. Both instances kind landlords with good rent and everything done on time.

It's shit, some folks are fucking animals.

ColdBlue Tue 23-Jan-18 14:54:50

Who has been giving her costs?

£35K, no way and £45K to £150K is a huge leap that sounds like bollocks.

Bluedoglead Tue 23-Jan-18 14:55:50

Your poor Mum.

Make sure she has insurance going forward

saladdays66 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:56:25

This is the risk you take when renting I'm afraid

I don't think it's a risk you should take - unless you rent to complete lazy-arsed scumbags with no shred of decency who like to live like pigs. No normal person would do this. Vile human beings.

NamechangerRanger6 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:57:34

steppemum
It's not just that though, unfortunately. The kitchen and bathroom (basic cheap IKEA jobbie) accounts for only part of that. Lots needs doing, unfortunately. The floorboards upstairs are damaged, the carpets had been ripped up and piss has seeped through the floorboards and come through the ceiling. So most of the ceilings are covered in huge patches of piss.
There really is more to it than just kitchen and bathroom damage but as I said it would take me ages to list every issue because I can't think of anything that's been left undamaged.

Unfortunately upon my dads death (3yrs 4 months ago) the insurance ended up being cancelled. It was paid from his personal account, it bounced and was cancelled. I'm not sure if they just didn't write to my mum or if in the midst of ill health and grief she just didn't notice it or forgot about it, but she was surprised to find she no longer had a policy with them. So she's been left up shit creek (in part due to her own naivety but I can understand how she's ended up in this situation).
I'm just so angry nothing can be done.

saladdays66 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:58:54

Your mum didn't have a guarantor for the tenant? Any deposit held?

Could you go with her and get some alternative quotes - that sounds very expensive for new kitchen, bathroom, carpets.

If she wants to sell, get more estate agent quotes too. 45K if it would normally go for 150k is not right, surely.

Kursk Tue 23-Jan-18 14:59:08

In your mums situation I would be very tempted to turn on a electric heater and drop a sweater on it as I left.

NamechangerRanger6 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:59:54

The 45k valuation was given by a local agent. Do you think they'd have cause to lie about value? 150k is a rough ballpark of what it would be worth otherwise (similar houses on the same street sell for between 140k and 165k) also given by the local agents but not an official valuation.

The 35k repair quotation is made up from quotes from various tradesmen for various jobs. So I don't think it's a scam, unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now