Talk

Advanced search

Mums do the food shopping

(31 Posts)
everythingsawesome Tue 23-Jan-18 14:35:48

There's a business looking for funding which is trying to change the way we shop. It's called Independence Market. You basically order pre-prepared meals and they are delivered - like Hello Fresh or Gousto although not on subscription.

They are exclusively targeting middle class mums and to spread the word and get more customers. They want the Mums to hold dinner parties to recruit other Mums to buy. They're calling it Amazon meets Avon.

Does anyone else find this business model offensive? They say the way into the household shopping budget is through Mum. I can't help but think this is at best old fashioned and at worst sexist. Surely we should be giving the responsibility to 'parents' not expecting Mum to sort it all?

Here's what the CEO has to say:
Here’s the reality: 94% of family households are managed by women and numerous studies suggest women feel underserved by the majority of businesses because they don't feel those businesses take their unique needs into account. This mainly because most companies are run by men. Case in point: I worked on the strategy for a multi-billion pound grocery retailer who wanted to 'create a store of the future that would be a game changer in how customers perceived them'. I interviewed the entire senior exec team, 15 people, 14 of whom were men, average age 48, none of whom shopped with their wives. I asked each of them to tell me what they thought their business was fundamentally about - at the end of 15 interviews 2 people mentioned food and 1 person mentioned women: the high-value shopper in every grocery store is a mum, and the research suggests that even when a man does go shopping he's got a list provided by his wife. This is an example of why grocery stores, and big companies in general, are broken. We're certainly an inclusive company but, just being honest, I'm willing to risk upsetting the occasional man to let women know we work hard to understand them.

What do you think?

EggsonHeads Tue 23-Jan-18 14:38:36

I do most of the shopping because I do most of the cooking. I do most of the cooking because I am the SAHP. This is common in middle class families. I think they're just being pragmatic on that front. That said no middle class mother would participate in something that involved then selling to their friends.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Tue 23-Jan-18 14:39:14

I think you're meant to pay for advertising through mumsnet but good job trying it out for free!!

Eltonjohnssyrup Tue 23-Jan-18 14:40:53

They need to pay more for their maketing. Coz you are shit. HTH.

Trinity66 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:41:24

My husband does the food shopping every week

NotAnotherUserName5 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:42:27

Poor attempt at advertising biscuit

Chaosofcalm Tue 23-Jan-18 14:43:02

Sounds like MLM.

But really Avon that is not exactly current or convient.

Trinity66 Tue 23-Jan-18 14:43:32

Can someone please tell me with the biscuit represents? grin

Porgs Tue 23-Jan-18 14:45:07

He interviewed 14 male members of the senior exec team - i.e. high earning males who can easily afford to support their wives to be SAHPs. Hardly a representative sample of the population!

firawla Tue 23-Jan-18 14:45:24

The mlm Avon type aspect of this really does not appeal at all, and my husband often does the shopping not me

Eminybob Tue 23-Jan-18 14:46:20

I wouldn’t touch a MLM with a barge pole.

DH and I go food shopping together.

Deshasafraisy Tue 23-Jan-18 14:46:44

Yaaaaaaawwwwwwn

Esker Tue 23-Jan-18 14:47:16

They want the Mums to hold dinner parties to recruit other Mums to buy. They're calling it Amazon meets Avon.

grin Can anyone actually conceptualise attending a 'dinner party' like this?? I think the company would def need to provide some scripted conversational intros to help the host segue elegantly into the hard sell. Amazing gringringrin

BadPolicy Tue 23-Jan-18 14:47:35

I don't think it's sexist or overly traditional if their statistics are backed up by a reliable, recent study.

It's not a businesses job to change our society, that's on us. They just sell stuff to the people who are most likely to buy it.

everythingsawesome Tue 23-Jan-18 14:47:59

Haha! it's not an advert! I'm genuinely annoyed that this could potentially have an influence on driving the stereotype of the busy Mum.

Yes Chaosofcalm it does sound like an MLM to me too. But if they go with the demographic they've identified surely they wouldn't be in it for the money because their husbands earn enough.

theDailyShow Tue 23-Jan-18 14:50:09

I think you misunderstand your role to the extent I question you are who you say you are.

It isn't the job of a business to change attitudes or society but to understand it and to create a viable plan to make a profit.

I don't know if the business is viable. You mean high-end ready meals? They exist. Waitrose, M&S et al and they can be delivered. There's no USP unless you're going for real top end and even then there's competition.

Meal boxes where ingredients and a recipe are delivered already exist and are doing well. I significantly bought into one a few years ago. We've just begun advertising on the tube. It's a tough market but we market sustainability, organicness and other bullshit.

It isn't your role to change society. If you think you can change the middle class's shopping habits then I think you're sorely mistaken and if you're considering funding this business then you may well live to regret it.

everythingsawesome Tue 23-Jan-18 14:50:35

Yes @Esker I really can't see it working myself either

Pengggwn Tue 23-Jan-18 15:01:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Butteredparsn1ps Tue 23-Jan-18 15:06:21

I think they need a bigger marketing budget for a start.

BitchQueen90 Tue 23-Jan-18 15:07:43

Ugh. Sounds bloody awful to me.

But then I'm a working class mum. grin

gillybeanz Tue 23-Jan-18 15:09:28

I only think it's offensive to suggest that women want to buy their pre packed shit, rather than share the cooking with their partner.

perhaps more women do the shopping and/or cooking, but that means they must either be happy doing this, have the time, or else they'd be telling their partner to shape up.

FluffyWuffy100 Tue 23-Jan-18 15:11:23

I thought mums went to Iceland??

blackberryfairy Tue 23-Jan-18 15:15:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Witchend Tue 23-Jan-18 15:23:57

I don't. My dd does it on line. I just pick it up. She does tend to put in a packet of sweets as reward for doing it, but it's worth it!

whooptifeckindo Tue 23-Jan-18 15:24:42

I find it offensive. My dh does most of the food shopping. We would appear to be in your target market range.
Welcome to the 21st century.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: