Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to hate modern life?

(14 Posts)
Dipitydoda Tue 23-Jan-18 10:06:11

Born in the 70s, grew up in the 80, uni in 90s worked in a professional role since late 90s. When I started work people write you letters you wrote back, people didn’t expect a reply in less than a week, out form now has max 24 hour turn around. Expected to answer emails well beyond the working day, others answer emails on holiday. Cars everywhere, nothing in life is black and white anymore little seems to be right and wrong nowa days. People are much more self centred and life so pressurised. Everything is about spending money, what clothes you wear, your house/where you live, people are often very false, kindness is seen as weakness,no one seems satisfied unless kids are in 10 after school activities with tutors to push them beyond their natural abilities so they can get in the right school/set. Never have time to just stop. I often think how life will be when my DS grows up? Will it become unbearable or will people move away from the aesthetics to the quality of life again?

araiwa Tue 23-Jan-18 10:10:08

Answering an email >>>> working down't'pit for 14 hours a day

allertse Tue 23-Jan-18 10:59:15

I mean, it depends who you mix with and where you work. Absolutely none of what you have said applies to my life.

Life isn't something that just happens to you, you are an active participant.

Nikephorus Tue 23-Jan-18 11:54:05

I agree with the OP. Yes, granted that different problems used to exist but I think it's gone downhill. People are generally now self-centred and grabby and don't give a stuff about anyone else. You only need to read the number of parking and CF stories on AIBU to see that. It'll only improve when the human race destroys itself and the world is returned to the animals!

Ariela Tue 23-Jan-18 12:19:06

Ummm...no it isn't. You are clearly a sheep.

Life isn't about what house you have or wearing the right clothes.

Do your own thing, and reap your own rewards. My 'guilty pleasure' this week will be taking a 90 year old wheelchair bound lady out for lunch. Because I can, and nobody else will, and she'll love it, and I'll enjoy doing it because it'll be pretty much the highlight of her week.

I frankly don't care what other people think of me, my clothes, my house, my lifestyle. Not that many people woudl ever know - I am not one for posting social media updates about myself.

Holowiwi Tue 23-Jan-18 21:38:45

Also depends who you are as well surely?
Probably not all that fun for ethnic minorities or gay people in the 70s

eurochick Tue 23-Jan-18 21:41:28

We must be the same age as your description of the decades is spot on. However I disagree that it is all about the aesthetics. Surround yourself with lovely, genuine people. Life will still be busy but it will have some depth.

mercurymaze Tue 23-Jan-18 21:41:39

We had the phone though so many phone calls at work

MotherofPearl Tue 23-Jan-18 22:01:32

I do sympathise OP. Sounds like we're about the same age. I try hard to tune out the things that you mention (e.g. I don't check or answer emails during the evening or at weekends). I think it's possible to push back against some of this stuff.

Ohforfoxsakereturns Tue 23-Jan-18 22:06:47

I do agree with you OP, but I don’t much participate in the real world. I’m a single parent who works from home, with a solid, small group of friends.

I have lived in the thick of it, so am comfortable opting out.

speakout Tue 23-Jan-18 22:07:12

I disagree OP.

Your life sounds nothing like mine.

I was born in the 60s and my teenagers are entering a bar better world than my era.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Tue 23-Jan-18 22:20:47

I think You’re mythologising a past that doesn’t exist.and demonising comtemporary times
Reading up on it 70s had strikes,National Front,oil crisis,recessions.not idyllic
Stress isn’t a new invention, it’s not a 00s thing. It’s always been present
I think our kids are growing up in exciting times, tech innovation,different careers
I love I can skype, FaceTime,watch movies in iPad,000s songs on Apple Music

ButteredScone Tue 23-Jan-18 22:26:16

YABU. Every year global poverty reduces. We’ve nearly beaten polio. Numerous other diseases are liveable with that would once have killed us.

I hate the nostalgia for the past shit. It’s so annoying when people have sweated their guts out for breakthroughs and progress whether civil rights, scientific, arts, whatever.

Redwineistasty Tue 23-Jan-18 22:28:11

I get the impatience.... people expecting emails/texts etc answered pretty swiftly. I struggle with this with work, as I am freelance and rely on emails to gain work. If I don't answer swiftly, then the job goes to someone else. I had to buy a smart phone last year in order to keep up with this!.... Checking my emails on my laptop of an evening wasn't sufficient.

But the rest I can't really relate to. I wear what I like, I'm polite and friendly and don't have any problems with people taking advantage from me being nice. people are generally nice to me if I'm nice to them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: