Talk

Advanced search

To think there MUST be a good solution

(17 Posts)
meladeso Mon 22-Jan-18 22:54:55

To the problem of shoes???

I'm talking storage.

The bottom of my smart fitted wardrobe is ruined by an unsightly mountain of shoes.

I don't want a rack - shoes are a bit smelly even if you don't have stinky feet. I don't want them up close with my clothes that hang above them.

Most box type systems I've seen don't allow for more irregular shaped shoes and boots. They're standard show box shapes.

Surely someone has come up with a genius solution by now?!

If not. There's a fortune still to be made.

Please show me your clever shoe storage solutions!!!

DontCallMeCharlotte Mon 22-Jan-18 22:59:01

CBA to take a picture but I keep mine in the under-bed drawers.

meladeso Mon 22-Jan-18 23:00:24

Ah I don't have any any more. That's a good idea though.

Sassy306 Mon 22-Jan-18 23:02:14

I keep them in the bottom drawer of the chest of drawers smile

meladeso Mon 22-Jan-18 23:06:26

You know what sassy I was just thinking maybe put a small chest of drawers in the bottom of the wardrobe. Just for shoes. I have quite a lot, so would need several drawers.

mrsharrison Mon 22-Jan-18 23:06:32

Mine go under the bed in pull out drawers. Every now and then i wipe the inside of the shoes with peppermint oil to get rid of whiffs and repel spiders.

meladeso Mon 22-Jan-18 23:07:03

Mrsharrison do you emit a delicate aroma of peppermint as you walk?!

FluffyWuffy100 Mon 22-Jan-18 23:48:05

I went on a bit of a mission to get rid of smelly shoes.

Three pairs of work shoes on rotation. Keep at work and don't walk to/from work in them.
Two pairs of casual trainers on rotation. Always worn with socks.
One pair sports trainers use for um, spot. Obvs always worn with socks.
'Fashion' shoes don't get worn enough to smell.

This basically eliminated any smelly issues and then I got loads of clear plastic show storage boxes with front opening flip lids. Solved the messy problem.

www.amazon.co.uk/Shoe-Aufbewahrungsboxen-Shoebox-Storage-137007/dp/B012727NCQ/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=shoe+box&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1516664824&sr=8-10

meladeso Tue 23-Jan-18 06:45:01

Thanks fluffy. It's not that I struggle with smelly shoes as such, More that I don't think they should be stored with clothes without being contained.
I had some of those Ikea boxes with clear flaps at the front but they're too floppy and end up looking a mess.

meladeso Tue 23-Jan-18 06:47:26

Those boxes look better to be fair! I'd need a lot though so pretty pricy! Best option so far though thanks.

NancyDonahue Tue 23-Jan-18 06:55:59

Ours live on a shoe rack in the hallway with coat hooks above.

TornadoOfToys Tue 23-Jan-18 07:01:12

Work shoes, slip-on shoes, everyday/driving shoes, everyday (waterprrof) shoes, trainers and currently snowboots on a rack in the hallway. Good boots and nice heels in the attic as I go out about twice a year. Summer shoes are in the attic at the moment, will swap with boots when it gets warm enough.

Funnyface1 Tue 23-Jan-18 07:30:15

I have two shoe cupboards in the hallway for all the shoes we're using that season, everything else is in the bottom of my fitted wardrobes too.

meladeso Tue 23-Jan-18 08:04:28

I wish we had proper space for them in the hall but we don't at the moment. We've a small under stairs cupboard and everyday shoes are slung in there in a right mess!

TheSnowFairy Tue 23-Jan-18 08:20:31

Could you put in some sort of pull out rack there so they stay neat(ish)?

Ours take up 3 sides of floor to waist height walls in the porch. (Family of 5 with adult sizes 13, 12, 10, 8 and 4 so not dainty!)

endofthelinefinally Tue 23-Jan-18 08:22:39

Stackable lakeland shoe boxes.

TornadoOfToys Tue 23-Jan-18 08:23:20

You need to tell us what space you do have and how often do you wear them? If it's once a month then it doesn't need to be as accessible as weekly.
Under bed, top of wardrobe, hall ceiling on a pulley (like those old fashioned drying racks) if you've the height. I personally would avoid plastic boxes for smell issues.
Can you put shelves in the cupboard under the stairs?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: