Talk

Advanced search

Terrible job interview! Is complaint warranted?

(41 Posts)
GingerTheGiantSlayer Mon 22-Jan-18 21:36:55

Hi ladies,

Writing this for a friend...

She recently had a job interview with a big, well know chain of pet supply stores (wasn't sure if I was allowed to name names)...
...the interview process took TWO HOURS!!

All fine except for the fact the interview was incredibly unprofessional (interview was conducted in the staff room with other prospective members eavesdropping nearby and people coming in and asking manager questions and to have their sandwiches). Friend has been working with public/in retail for over 20 years only to get feedback saying she was "overly negative" "didn't know how to put stock out" "wouldn't be a good fit" leaving her in tears!! The feedback was very personal and the interview itself (one of the deputy managers even admitted to this) was unconventional with impossible to answer questions! I mean this isn't MENSA!! AIBU to think she should complain? Also curious to know if you ladies know of anything similar happening-and if so what did you do?

Thank you! smile

student26 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:39:32

Poor woman! That does sound very unprofessional. The least they could have done was provided a separate room so all and sundry didn't have to listen it. I've had interviews though where they ask the weirdest questions, like it really matters to the job itself! She possibly could complain to the CEO of the company?

taskmaster Mon 22-Jan-18 21:39:48

Complain to who?

halfwitpicker Mon 22-Jan-18 21:40:51

Exactly, task. Who? James Herriot?

glow1984 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:41:30

What is the point of complaining. Sounds like she should count her lucky stars she didn't get the job!

What I would do is go home, have a large glass of wine and forget about it

Fekko Mon 22-Jan-18 21:41:38

Maybe it was a stress interview to see how she managed crappy situations? Sounds like she had a luck escape though - potential employers are usually on their best behaviour at interviews.

billybagpuss Mon 22-Jan-18 21:41:50

How bizarre, I don't think I'd bother complaining as it doesn't sound like somewhere that would be a particularly nice place to work anyway.

Hope she finds something lovely soon.

helensburgh Mon 22-Jan-18 21:42:07

Just awful. Sounds like a lucky escape.

spugzbunny Mon 22-Jan-18 21:43:07

That manager will have an area manager and they will have a regional manager etc. Yes, sure complain away! If it makes her feel better! She's obviously not going to want the job after this so she needs to think about what she wants to gain from it.

AtSea1979 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:45:33

She should think herself lucky to have escaped that one and move on

FatBottomedGal Mon 22-Jan-18 21:47:21

There’s a website called Glassdoor where you can review companies based on salary/ role/ interview process. I’d go there and let anyone else considering an interview there know how shit it was!

Callamia Mon 22-Jan-18 21:47:34

Did she really want the job? If so, she should contact their HR deparmtnent and tell them that if that is sthard procedure for interviews, then they should be ashamed. I bet it isn’t.

It sounds like she’s dodged working for a crappy outfit though. Good for her.

mrsharrison Mon 22-Jan-18 21:49:14

A lot of company websites have a feature that allows staff to give reviews on the working environment. Maybe your friend could leave a review to warn others. And maybe the company will take action.

GingerTheGiantSlayer Mon 22-Jan-18 21:51:16

Thank you! Have told her to have a look at Glassdoors and prescribed a hearty dose of gin until then!

CheeseGirl4 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:53:01

Is it Pets at Home? I worked there many moons ago. If so, this is NOT there standard practice and there is both an HR department and regional manager so it warrants a complaint. They were a terrible, terrible company to work for though, so as crap as it may seem now, there will be a much better place for your friend.

Namechange13 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:55:20

In fairness, there may not have been a separate room. There isn't one big enough for our group interviews where I work so they have them in the canteen - pisses all of us off because our stuff is in there and it's the only place we can use on break apart from sitting in our cars. Our interview process is also very long (far too long for retail IMO) so not really practical to avoid taking a break while they're happening.

The rest of it sounds shit though. Tell her to complain to the highest up name she can find if it will make her feel better, otherwise just to forget about it and count it as a lucky escape as others have said! Glassdoor sounds like a good shout too.

ToadOfSadness Mon 22-Jan-18 21:59:04

Could this be the chain that has had publicity (several times) about not caring for the pets they sell?

If so, she is better off working elsewhere.

alltoomuchrightnow Mon 22-Jan-18 22:01:30

Easy to guess who they are and I've had bad experience too with the vets they have inside store (interview related) and did complain.
re not having an interview room, many places I worked for didn't have one or an office. So interview was conducted elsewhere... I've had them in garden centre cafes and pubs! But not busy ones. Not ideal but , better than in a staff room. Poor lady

Independentstateofeyebrows Mon 22-Jan-18 22:02:46

Your friend definitely dodged a bullet there. Do leave feedback on Glassdoor. Future applicants need to know about - and employers really need to address - crap recruitment practices.

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Mon 22-Jan-18 22:06:11

I remember one interview for what was 'McKays' when I was 16 being asked if I had every told my mother that I hated her. I said no. They ACTUALLY said they believed I lied and therefore no suited for the role.

I was pleased I failed! grin

PersonAtHome Mon 22-Jan-18 22:10:35

I would complain to the company itself (head office or HR) as the complaint might prevent others going through the same experience.

crimsonlake Mon 22-Jan-18 22:20:39

I had one recently which was unprofessionally led.
Upon arrival I was asked to fill out an application form? I duly took it and sat down, however when they returned for it a few minutes later I pointed out that it was an impossible task to do in a short time as it would take me a couple of hours to fill out fully.
On being led to the interview room this was also being used. We sat at the interview table 5 minutes waiting for someone to complete their loud conversation. I really felt like getting up and walking out.
I have come away with the application form to complete following the interview. The mind boggles.

crimsonlake Mon 22-Jan-18 22:23:00

Should have added loud telephone conversation.

Mrsmadevans Mon 22-Jan-18 22:29:37

Crikey seems to me she had a lucky escape what an awful manager!

topcat2014 Mon 22-Jan-18 22:34:38

I once had an interview for an assistant manager's job at Kwik Save (remember them)..

It was amongst the cardboard boxes and broken freezers.

The 'manager' told me he had a good working relationship with his staff - they hated him and he hated them..

Readers - It is the only second interview I have ever turned down!

I think the OP had a lucky escape

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now