Talk

Advanced search

To think you still have to pay...

(86 Posts)
ThisLittleKitty Mon 22-Jan-18 21:05:32

I've come across a lot of people who have the opinion that if you don't see your kids (for whatever reason) then you shouldn't have to pay for them. Aibu in thinking you should still have to pay? Or do you think that if someone "opts out" of seeing their kids then they shouldn't have to?

Brakebackcyclebot Mon 22-Jan-18 21:06:53

Are you a journalist? Because that's the ONLY reason I can think of for asking such a ridiculous question.

PurpleDaisies Mon 22-Jan-18 21:07:33

They’re totally wrong. Those children still need financial support

Pengggwn Mon 22-Jan-18 21:08:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shineystrawberrylover Mon 22-Jan-18 21:09:19

The government certainly has put in place a system that has the expectation of supporting your offspring.
It's not "pay per view"

Hyggelpyggel Mon 22-Jan-18 21:09:53

biscuit

ThisLittleKitty Mon 22-Jan-18 21:09:53

Nope I've been here a while. This is exes view and other people I have come across. No contact= no payment.

Ljlsmum Mon 22-Jan-18 21:11:10

Of course they still have to pay although I don't understand how some people expect that the rent or mortgage should be paid for by the absent parent (particularly when kids hit school age and the resident parent can work) as the parent would still have to pay for their own housing if there were no children. Yes to an amount for all other bills though.

Pengggwn Mon 22-Jan-18 21:11:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shineystrawberrylover Mon 22-Jan-18 21:11:59

(By the government i don't mean to accidentally support any of the political numpties) just to point out that these 'characters' with the view that not seeing a child makes it magically not need supporting are going against what is legally expected as well as being feckless arseholes.

MrsMaxwell Mon 22-Jan-18 21:12:46

This is DH exW view.

That maintenance is linked to contact (he pays anyway).

I think it’s a really fucked up view.

LittleMe03 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:15:19

I cannot begin to understand why any parent would 'opt out' of seeing their child.

That alone upsets me.

ThisLittleKitty Mon 22-Jan-18 21:16:26

My ex has chosen not to and despite trying for almost 7 years he pays no maintenance.

LittleMe03 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:17:56

If you speak to CSA there is no 'opting out' why would be choose not to see his child?

LittleMe03 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:18:12

He*

Glumglowworm Mon 22-Jan-18 21:18:54

Anyone who thinks opting out of seeing their child is ok is a colossal waste of space

As is anyone who thinks not paying for their child is ok.

Don’t want a child? Use a condom. Really really really don’t want a child and not willing to take the tiny risk of a contraceptive failure? Don’t have PinV sex. At all.

MrsMaxwell Mon 22-Jan-18 21:19:14

Self employed people can opt out quite easily.

ThisLittleKitty Mon 22-Jan-18 21:20:06

CSA can't help if the person doesn't work or claim benefits.

ThisLittleKitty Mon 22-Jan-18 21:22:23

Oh students don't have to pay Csa either. So quite easy to opt out

spiritofadventure Mon 22-Jan-18 21:23:34

If one parent refuses to allow contact, for no good reason though, maintenance should also be refused imo.

arethereanyleftatall Mon 22-Jan-18 21:23:53

I think the exact opposite.
Yes, if you are one half responsible for bringing a child in to this world, then you are one half responsible for the costs of their upbringing.
I think there should be far more laws in place for absent parents who don't pay.

arethereanyleftatall Mon 22-Jan-18 21:25:28

The exact opposite To the ops friends as in the op that is.

SilentlyScreamingAgain Mon 22-Jan-18 21:26:27

Your absolutely right, everyone knows that children you don't see don't need to eat and can live in a cardboard box.

NeedsAsockamnesty Mon 22-Jan-18 21:36:10

I know lots of people who express this view, they are normally unpleasant and thick

crunchymint Mon 22-Jan-18 21:54:33

I allocate £24 a day to spend on each child. For every hour they are away from me I deduct a £1 that I will spend on them. So sure I tell them,you can go and play with your friends, but it means there wont be enough money to buy those hair ribbons.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: