Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to refuse to provide Nursery with longer length birth certificate?

(89 Posts)
peonylover22 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:24:05

DS has been at nursery since October. We provided a copy of his short form birth certificate, together with details of DH and me, when he was registered with the nursery. Nursery now want a copy of the longer length birth certificate for all children in their care. AIBU in refusing to provide this? I don’t want to be a “difficult parent” but I don’t want to provide the additional personal data unless there is a legal requirement for the nursery to obtain this information. Of course if there is such a legal requirement we will happily provide it.

weeblueberry Mon 22-Jan-18 17:24:48

Have you asked them why they need the additional info?

ThisLittleKitty Mon 22-Jan-18 17:25:10

Why what are you hiding?

FayJay Mon 22-Jan-18 17:25:16

Why do they want this?

Goldenapple90 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:26:28

It's usually just the short they need, the same with schools

FayJay Mon 22-Jan-18 17:26:57

Yeah Kitty because everyone that questions handing over sensitive information must be hiding something. hmm

PaintingOwls Mon 22-Jan-18 17:27:12

Did you ask why they need it?

Lules Mon 22-Jan-18 17:27:36

I’ve never provided any birth certificate for nurseries. Which is good as I lost my first child’s ages ago.

mustbemad17 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:28:33

Only ever needed the short one here! I'd be questioning why they need it, they don't need the additional information that's on it

ThisLittleKitty Mon 22-Jan-18 17:28:47

Sensitive?? It's just a birth certificate? Can't see what the issue would be? I needed to give my sons when he went nursery.

Ragusa Mon 22-Jan-18 17:28:49

Are you in England OP?

thisisminnie Mon 22-Jan-18 17:30:26

As an adoptee, I don’t have a long form birth certificate only the short version. No one has ever had a problem about this apart from a foreign embassy who didn’t believe me. So on one hand I think YANBU because this policy puts adoptive parents ina difficult position, on the other hand if you have the long version why not provide it?

Twofishfingers Mon 22-Jan-18 17:30:51

childminder here. I had a discussion today about the funding for free 15 hours. The inspector insisted that I'd take photocopy of the child's passport or long birth certificate as there has been fraud for hours of funding with parents lying about their child's date of birth in order to get the 'free' 15 hours/30 hours childcare.

Just ask the nursery why they want this info. There might be a reason for it.

ShovingLeopard Mon 22-Jan-18 17:32:08

Is it part of the immigration crackdown?

Thewomeninthemirror Mon 22-Jan-18 17:33:19

The short one has your names etc and I’m sure you had to provide your address??
So why be awkward?
Will you question them if they ask for your doctors details in case of an emergency?
hmm

mustbemad17 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:33:51

TwoFish doesn't the short certificate confirm DOB? toddles off to investigate this!

taskmaster Mon 22-Jan-18 17:34:21

why would they need any childs birth cert? I've never been asked for one.

EggsonHeads Mon 22-Jan-18 17:34:50

You trust them with your child, I think that you can trust them with a bit of 'data'.

newyearnewname18 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:35:36

We have to send our DS' full birth certificate in each term we reapply for the funded hours. It's a right pain in the arse.

Twofishfingers Mon 22-Jan-18 17:36:02

You can investigate but unless you are in the same borough as me you might come up with a different answer. Each borough does the admin their own way, using different methods for inspections and checks.

chocolateiamydrug Mon 22-Jan-18 17:38:03

I never had to provide any birth certificate for other child and they have attended all together 4 different setting. I think it is a strange request tbh

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Mon 22-Jan-18 17:39:41

I'm surprised they're allowed to ask, school admissions in my area aren't

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Mon 22-Jan-18 17:40:25

We (primary school) try to see the long form of birth certificate as we are supposed to record both parents details and confirm who has parental responsibility. There is no "data" on a birth certificate that could be considered sensitive so I don't see why anyone would refuse it. BUT I know that when I registered my DCs I got a short certificate included and had to pay extra for the long form so not everyone will have a long form one....

mustbemad17 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:40:37

TwoFish i meant investigate our short BC, not the policy, sorry! Was trying to work out why they'd need the long BC to confirm DOB if the short one has it on

hibbledibble Mon 22-Jan-18 17:40:55

Short form doesnt have parent details does it?

Perhaps it is for child protection to confirm you are actually the parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now