Talk

Advanced search

Do you believe in Ghosts?

(124 Posts)
Dizzylin Mon 22-Jan-18 14:40:39

Just interested in peoples thoughts really. Had a couple of experiences myself. 1st was when my Mums BF passed away her DD was staying with us at the time. It was the middle of the night and I remember feeling like the BF was in my bedroom looking for DD. I said "She's in my Mum's room x". In the morning got up to the news that BF had passed away in the night. Mum then told me how BF's DD had woken in the night and said "Mummy!" like she'd seen her. She was only 6/7 at the time.

2nd time was when I was in my late 20's I was really struggling to sleep and feeling quite distressed (can't remember why) I said aloud to nobody in particular "please help me, I just want to sleep" a White Light appeared in my bedroom and I suddenly felt so comforted and relaxed. I fell asleep almost immediately.

Anybody got any stories?

DriggleDraggle Mon 22-Jan-18 14:54:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeakyBlindersIsTheBest Mon 22-Jan-18 15:01:07

Completely.

We had to have an exorcism in our old house. Very frightening.

sirlee66 Mon 22-Jan-18 15:04:17

I believe in ghosts as much as I believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny.

IMO, Once you're dead, you're dead.

But maybe, because I have such a closed mind to ghosts, that's the reason why I haven't experienced anything paranormal....? Maybe you have to be open to it to experience anything???

OoooooOooOo I've got shivers.

TossDaily Mon 22-Jan-18 15:12:24

Yep. When I was about four we lived next door to a block of pensioners' flats. I used to regularly go and visit one of the old ladies who lived there. One time I was waiting for her to answer the door when an old woman materialised out of nowhere across the foyer and started giggling and beckoning to me, before disappearing. I shot out of there as fast as I could, terrified.

I also used to live in a house that was built at the end of the 18th Century. I'm pretty sure that had a mischevious spirit in it. Things would regularly go missing - usually my dc's shoes just as we were about to leave the house. More than once I'd have to take then-toddler DS out in just his socks or his slippers, only to find the missing shoes slap-bang in the middle of the kitchen table when we got back (nobody had been in). I think whoever it was took a shine to DS - he used to chat to a 'Charlotte' at his height, and wave goodbye to her at the door. We didn't know any Charlottes! I used to wonder if she hid his shoes to stop him going out.

bubblybum Mon 22-Jan-18 15:15:26

PeakyBlinders what happened? And why?

Annabelle4 Mon 22-Jan-18 15:16:02

Yes. I lived in a house once where things happened that just can't be explained.

I never saw anything though.

I never told anyone in real life because I know I wouldn't be believed, or they'd frustrate me by offering explanations which I know couldn't be true.

boopsy Mon 22-Jan-18 15:21:11

placemarking x

theForeigner Mon 22-Jan-18 15:25:29

Yes. Of course they're real. Just like the tooth fairy and Jesus!

Goldenhandshake Mon 22-Jan-18 15:28:12

placemarking for peakyblinders story

Trinity66 Mon 22-Jan-18 15:28:24

No, I also believe once you're dead, you're dead. Everything has some sort of an explanation I think

AcronymsForAll Mon 22-Jan-18 15:29:42

No. I have hallucinations sometimes, though. I think those are more common than people realise.

Notasperfectasallothermners Mon 22-Jan-18 15:31:31

Maybe the 'little boy' in our lives would change your minds...... Seen by more than just me, heard by many!!

Goldenhandshake Mon 22-Jan-18 15:40:02

I waiver on this, as rationally I know things like sleep paralysis, sleep deprivation, medication, mental health conditions etc can all make things appear very real when they are not... but a small part of me is creeped out by the dark, creaky doors etc. I blame the horror films grin

taskmaster Mon 22-Jan-18 15:40:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Snoozy1 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:02:17

When I came home from my Nan's funeral, I walked outside the back door and our heating overflow pipe started pouring with water. It stopped as I walked back in. DH checked when he got home and couldn't find any reason why it had happened. Spoke to my dad later in the week and his overflow had also gone that day and so had the one at my Nan's house. Quite probably coincidence, but I like to think it was her saying goodbye wink

5plusMeAndHim Mon 22-Jan-18 16:09:56

I don't know, there are a lit of extremely sensible people who say they have experiencesd something, but on the other hand the power of suggestion is huge when it is dark.
When my eldest DD was hitting puberty-about 11 years old we experienced some strange things.We lived in detached house in a rural area - far from neighbours.We heard kitchen cabinet door s repeatedly slamming, cutlery rattling in the drawer at night and a picture turning to face the wall overnight in a locked room and afew other things moving weirdly. It was just over a period of about 3 weeks and then nothing more.I think poltergeist activity (if that's even what it was) is not ghostly, its more of an energy being exuded by an adolescent themselves.
It is very easy to dismiss stuff like this until it happens to you!,

SleepingBooty Mon 22-Jan-18 16:14:15

No I don't think so. If they were there'd be loads of them around, given the amount if people and animals that have died in the world.

Heartoffire Mon 22-Jan-18 16:17:57

Yes I do. But I didn’t until I saw one.

Dipitydoda Mon 22-Jan-18 16:18:13

Theforeigner most historians believe Jesus existed as an historical person - whether he was the son of God or not is s completely desperate question. Yes I believe in Ghosts. I’m not sure what they are, an imprint of energy or an actual spirit. I have seen ghosts (although at the time I didn’t know they were).

DriggleDraggle Mon 22-Jan-18 16:19:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eolian Mon 22-Jan-18 16:22:05

No. Quite apart from anything else, if ghosts were real, why wouldn't they be seen more frequently and why haven't any been properly reported by sane reliable witnesses? I expect it's because you have to be an especially 'sensitive' person to see one, or something.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 22-Jan-18 16:24:55

No. It's nonsense.

And there are lots of scientific explanations for the 'unexplainable' stuff that happens to people. We just love to believe.

pinkpickle8 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:27:56

We have lots of weird goings on in our house. Footsteps on landing, doors slamming, several people witnessing the same thing - kitchen drawer flying open, knife falling onto kitchen worktop. Someone sitting on the end of our bed. Things go missing and then reappear in the place that has already been searched. Our neighbours also have similar issues! Lots of this happens in the daytime as well.

Mrsdraper1 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:28:08

I was sitting in a church in the centre of Manchester, 20 0dd years ago.
If anyone knows the area, it was the hidden gem. My grandma used to like it (she was very religious).
I sat quietly (there were loads of tourists it was the middle of the day. I was thinking about whether my grandma would have liked my DH.
I got a warm happy feeling in my tummy (I don't know how else to explain) and I could smell her. Oil of Ulay (they changed the name to Olay) and tea. There was no one else near me and it was her exact smell. I felt like she was there with me.
My Uncle died a few weeks later and I saw him between his death and the funeral stood on the landing of our flats looking up at me as I was walking upstairs. I would recognise his jumper anywhere.
I don't know how else to explain what happened in either case. But I don't know!
Like hearing everyone's stories though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: