Talk

Advanced search

The Gin Trend is causing Ginflation ?

(48 Posts)
PeakyBlindersIsTheBest Fri 19-Jan-18 10:52:07

DP is taking me to a very naice restaurant on Saturday for my birthday
We went yesterday to have a quick lunchtime drink & a general nosey . I’m love a G & T but was floored that they wanted £14 for one ! Guess it will be tap water with the meal 😂

Blackteadrinker77 Fri 19-Jan-18 10:59:33

Wow, I'd want a bottle for that!

iklboo Fri 19-Jan-18 11:01:34

A friend & I went to a bar and ordered a double gin each. Bloke charged us £18 per drink. We were too stunned to say anything.

CaoNiMa Fri 19-Jan-18 11:03:36

FOURTEEN QUID!

I'd want shares in the bar for £14. Jesus.

PasDeDeux Fri 19-Jan-18 11:05:41

That's obscene shock

juliesaway Fri 19-Jan-18 11:08:59

All that for flavoured Industrial Alcohol. Really there’s not a lot of skill in making Gin. It can’t be intellectualised. It just is what it is. Botanicals are lovely but not worth the aspirational pricing. Weak minded fools fall for marketing and companies laugh all the way to the bank. I love Gin, it’s a great drink with tonic but let’s not think 18 (or even 10 quid for a gin cocktail is anything but willingly buying into hype and nonsense.

GreyFluffball Fri 19-Jan-18 11:10:54

It's insane. One of our locals has what they call a gin bar - in reality it's a gin menu, with some special glasses on a shelf. The cheapest g&t is now £7 for a single (which is VERY expensive round here).

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 19-Jan-18 11:21:40

I love gin but don't normally have it in pubs because of this. I did have a couple on New Year's Eve and it was about £5-6 for a fancy gin and fevertree, and that almost felt like a good price.

And they must have been either a double or 35 ml, because I could actually taste the gin, which I can't normally if its a 25 ml measure because the ones I make at home are probably triples.

ClashCityRocker Fri 19-Jan-18 11:31:33

There's a gin bar opened by us. Half the stuff it sells is so overflavoured it doesn't even taste like gin!

Travis1 Fri 19-Jan-18 11:34:02

I love Gin but would I fuck pay £14 for one. Lovely restaurant near me does gorgeous food and the dearest gin cocktail is £6.50. Winner!

whiskyowl Fri 19-Jan-18 14:48:18

I think it's quite common for it to cost that in posher places, unfortunately. It seems to get counted as a full-on cocktail (as opposed to spirit and mixer), and priced accordingly. Should be a bloody brilliant G&T, though. grin

pisacake Fri 19-Jan-18 16:00:12

restaurant we went to had about 10 versions of g& t all at £12. Yeah right, fuck dat.

A bottle of beer was about £5 for something that would be around £1.50 in supermarket, but somehow £1.50 worth of g&t is £12?

MontyPythonsFlyingFuck Fri 19-Jan-18 16:28:15

Another one here who doesn't drink G&T when out in the UK. Spain, on the other hand.... <falls into reverie about enormous balloon glasses half filled with GIN>

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 19-Jan-18 16:40:43

I don't buy bottles in pubs either pisa. Why pay the price of a pint for slightly more than half a pint of beer?

Monty I'm going on holiday to the Canary Islands on Sunday and about this time Sunday afternoon I'm hoping to have already had my first giant Spanish G&T.

Rebeccaslicker Fri 19-Jan-18 16:42:03

You know you've lived in London for far too long when that sounds perfectly normal...!

pisacake Fri 19-Jan-18 16:56:49

Well they didn't have draught, I always try and get draught if it's available. But I made do with bottled beer basically on the basis that I want to drink something, but don't see why we should pay the price of an extra meal on a bit of booze, so I just go for most cost-effective thing.

I've wised up to the 'would madam like a glass of champagne' thing a while ago. Yes, madam would, but madam would prefer a whole bottle for the same price at home, so madam will select the cheapest bottle on the wine list instead thanks very much.

MikeUniformMike Fri 19-Jan-18 16:59:29

I've always liked a G&T but now you get a choice of about 10 different gins and several types of tonic water in a huge glass with too much ice and a fookin straw.

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Fri 19-Jan-18 17:03:29

This is why I love Gin Festival-you get to try put loads of new Gins & they work out at about £4.50 each as you purchase cards & the Tonic is on a help yourself basis.
£14 for a G&T? Someone is having a fucking laugh whilst raking it in ... hmm

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Fri 19-Jan-18 17:03:55

Out not put, ffs.

iklboo Fri 19-Jan-18 18:37:45

NoFingRoom - which Gin Fest do you go to? We've been to Manchester a few times - just booked for this year's. The best is the tasters room where you can get loads of free samples and get quite merry.

goldengimbas Fri 19-Jan-18 18:40:09

The pub near me has over 50 gins and 95% are under £4 with tonic. Love living up north in a none trendy place

goshthatseemsalot Fri 19-Jan-18 18:56:01

I’ve been sampling gin for two decades now (dedicated) and I’m sick to the tits of all this gin wankery. Sodding herbs, cinder toffee, cinnamon sticks and other random bollocks fucking up an otherwise perfectly serviceable refreshing beverage. I’ve a cabinet full of over priced gin given as gifts over xmas. Tonight I’m going retro with Gordon’s and slimline Schweppes. Someone should open a trendy hipster bar with one choice of each beverage Gordon’s, schmirnoff, captain morgan and so on and one of those illuminated wine cabinets with a choice of sweet, medium or dry.

Friedgreen Fri 19-Jan-18 18:58:22

I drink gin neat, like whiskey; always have. I consider myself an expert when I say that plain unfucked with dry gin is the drink of the gods. All those added flavours are unecessary.

PricillaQueenOfTheDesert Fri 19-Jan-18 19:12:11

Wow! That’s pricey, I’d say push out the boat if you can afford too. I’m all for having great experiences in life (rather than buying things) and I’m sure you’ll both have a wonderful dinner.

SauvignonBlanche Fri 19-Jan-18 19:23:31

Laughing whilst sipping my Whitley Neill Quince gin with Cucumber tonic. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now