Talk

Advanced search

Am I going deaf or does everyone on telly mumble theses days?

(138 Posts)
CaraBosse1 Thu 18-Jan-18 20:23:37

Just watched first episode of Pretty Little Lies - God, the mumbling!

First series of House of Cards, I kept putting subtitles on because I couldn't understand Kevin Spacey.

Watching McMafia the other night, I kept saying to DH "eh, what did he say?" to which DH replied "Dunno"

Am I going mutton and jeff or does anyone else struggle to follow dramas because of the bloody mumbling?

afrikat Thu 18-Jan-18 20:26:01

Have you checked the sound settings on your tv? They can be set so that dialogue is louder than the soundtrack which might help. I didn't think there was any mumbling in the shows you've mentioned

takeitandleaveit Thu 18-Jan-18 20:31:56

Yes to the mutton and yes to the mumbling (me too) grin

I find the news on the car radio particularly hard to follow these days, and have to turn it up, and then back down again once they've finished. Particular announcers though - some are fine, so I put that down to poor diction and/or mumbling.

Alpacaandgo Thu 18-Jan-18 20:32:10

I stick subtitles on more times than not! Unless the volumes up high they are mumbling! The background sounds/music always seem way louder than the talking. It's so annoying

ICJump Thu 18-Jan-18 20:34:00

I’ve started getting quite cross about this. Really actors have one job “say the fucking line”. It really pisses me off that they mumble for mumbling sake

IcanMooCanYou Thu 18-Jan-18 20:35:47

Last person I heard say this was my 89 year old grandad. Your post made me laugh because that was almost his exact quote. He died 16 years ago- so not sure it's 'these days'. His last few years he constantly had subtitles on Corrie as they 'mumbled'

CaraBosse1 Thu 18-Jan-18 21:02:41

Oh afrikat - Kevin Spacey does mumble!

I don't have this problem with the Archers aka real actors!

WickedGoodDoge Thu 18-Jan-18 21:05:35

I really struggled with season two of The Crown. They all seemed to mumble under their breath and speak really quickly.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Thu 18-Jan-18 21:07:52

I’m so glad this isn’t just me! I’ve been noticing for the last few months I’ve had to keep having the subtitles on. I was worried it was my hearing!

maddiemookins16mum Thu 18-Jan-18 21:16:06

I think my hearing is fine but I use subtitles all the time, I struggle to follow the conversations otherwise, not sure why really ☺️

NotWithABang Thu 18-Jan-18 21:17:44

I love the movie Interstellar but refuse to watch it due to this.

SingaSong12 Thu 18-Jan-18 21:18:15

It isn't just you. I have very acute hearing (I have ASD and listen to both speech and music radio and most tv on as low as will go.) However there are quite a few tv programmes I just don't bother with because speech is unclear or not distinguishable from the background "atmospheric music/sounds". If the makers can't be bothered to make it comprehensible I can't be bothered to watch and decipher.

SweetChickadee Thu 18-Jan-18 21:21:22

DH and I are forever rewinding stuff muttering "whatdidhesay..?"

Not just you OP. Our hearing's fine apart from in noisy bars

jarhead123 Thu 18-Jan-18 21:39:31

I use subtitles more often than not, I hate straining to hear what is being said

CaraBosse1 Thu 18-Jan-18 21:40:04

Thank you for the reassurance 😀

Oldbutstillgotit Thu 18-Jan-18 21:41:40

Struggling with Sarah Lancashire in Kiri. My hearing is fine so she is mumbling as she did on Happy Valley.

WeeM Thu 18-Jan-18 21:42:49

Apparently it’s flat screen TVs-the speakers aren’t as good as they used to be on big TVs. Consequently that’s why soundbars are all the rage!
We have been watching The Wire with subtitles and I still don’t understand what they’re talking about!!

Frusso Thu 18-Jan-18 21:43:08

I think you may be right. I have to put the subtitles on these days in order to follow what they're saying.
I've already tweaked the settings and hearing is fine.

TeeBee Thu 18-Jan-18 21:45:40

I watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders and didn't have a scooby what was going on. Watched it again with subtitles and suddenly a new whole world was opened up.

mirren3 Thu 18-Jan-18 21:52:36

I'm getting thumb ache from having to rewind? replay? so much on TV just now, the worst part though is I hear my mother moaning about it and it's me speaking.

TeeniefaeTroon Thu 18-Jan-18 22:16:24

Funnily enough me and my parents were discussing Sarah Lancashire the other day, we all have to use subtitles when watching something she's in.

sixteenapples Thu 18-Jan-18 22:20:25

Me too!

KnittingOnEmpty Thu 18-Jan-18 22:25:31

I hear you! (sorry). Me too. Just binge watched Happy Valley and subtitles were such a help.
Worst was Taboo, couldn't make out a bleeding thing, I was so disappointed as really wanted to get into it. Just gave up.

ihatethecold Thu 18-Jan-18 22:25:54

I’ve changed the settings on my tv to clear voice.
It reduces back ground noise.

pilates Thu 18-Jan-18 22:27:53

Yes agree, thought it was just me. That’s reassuring 🙂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: