Talk

Advanced search

SAHM/Homemakers - What do you do all day?

(997 Posts)
Fruem Tue 16-Jan-18 20:31:06

Those who choose to be a SAHM/homemaker, who don’t ‘have’ to work, what do you do all day?!

I’m talking the SAHM’s who don’t work from home. Who don’t have to look after the kids all day etc.

If you’ve done cleaning/washing/shopping etc. How do you fill your day?

halfwitpicker Tue 16-Jan-18 20:31:56

You're brave.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Tue 16-Jan-18 20:33:12

I go for coffee with friends...a lot

Watch films, read

Bit of crafting

Bit of house work

I do work 6 hours a week so i may not be your target audience here

Pengggwn Tue 16-Jan-18 20:33:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fruem Tue 16-Jan-18 20:33:30

I know grin I fully expect to be jumped on by the working mums or those who feel this isn’t goady.

It’s a genuine question.

SherlocksTripleLock Tue 16-Jan-18 20:33:39

I pick my nose and scratch my arse.

HTH

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Tue 16-Jan-18 20:33:48

A lot of mumsnetting...too much

10thingsIKnowAboutYou Tue 16-Jan-18 20:33:59

When I was FT SAHM, I spent my extra time mostly reading, I so miss those days.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Tue 16-Jan-18 20:34:29

I wonder the same, I'm a sahm at the moment in the daytime, but work evenings. Many of my friends have both kids at school and don't work... they go to the gym, do shopping washing ironing cooking etc in the daytime nothing particularly amazing but I guess the tasks you have fill the time you have.

Smeaton Tue 16-Jan-18 20:34:31

wifeyhun Tue 16-Jan-18 20:34:41

I watch a lot of TV.
I match bet.
Go out with DP a lot as he works odd shifts.
House work.

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 20:34:43

Whatever the fuck I want to.

MarmaladeIsMyJam Tue 16-Jan-18 20:34:56

Read, exercise, go out for lunch, listen to podcasts whilst I’m pottering doing stuff, cook, bake,meet friends, go into town, watch box sets. Plus all the normal house/admin stuff.

10thingsIKnowAboutYou Tue 16-Jan-18 20:35:20

Oh and coffee with friends... gosh I really want those days back

formerbabe Tue 16-Jan-18 20:35:27

I'm a sahm with school age dc. I honestly thought I'd have heaps of time but I don't. I can easily fill my entire day with housework and it's still never all done. The other day all I did was washing and ironing. I think I'm doing something wrong!

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 20:36:06

Actually I work a bit now but it's messing with my cinema visits, lunches and cocking about

MarmaladeIsMyJam Tue 16-Jan-18 20:36:13

Oh and nap and have sex!

MarmaladeIsMyJam Tue 16-Jan-18 20:36:31

And cinema!

Easilyflattered Tue 16-Jan-18 20:37:00

DIY.

Voluntary work at local primary school.

Look after my mum, which means a two hour travel time on top of whatever she needs help with.

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 20:37:24

God above - you fill your entire week with housework?
Why?
Why would anyone do that.

I have a cleaner. I fricking hate housework

HappyLollipop Tue 16-Jan-18 20:37:38

I do the cooking, cleaning, laundry and go to lots of coffee mornings and playgroups.

Wakeuptortoise Tue 16-Jan-18 20:37:41

Once the children start school I plan to redecorate the house, sort the garden, join a gym and do spinning, plates and swimming classes, go for many mtb rides. Restart climbing, join a crafting class, maybe art or knitting. Go window shopping or antiquing. All sorts. Also slum about at home catching up on some sleep after 6years of non sleepers.
I may volunteer at the national trust or some such too.
Are you stuck for ideas op?

Chienrouge Tue 16-Jan-18 20:37:42

Ooh I could think of so many things I’d do (currently a SAHM to 2 pre schoolers!). I’d read, exercise, go to gym classes/yoga, walk the dog, read some more, craft, decorate my house, draw, visit friends, wander round the shops, go for coffee, go to galleries...

madmomma Tue 16-Jan-18 20:38:28

Read a lot, visit friends and have people over, do bits of voluntary work and try and help people who are struggling a bit. Sometimes catch up on sleep if I've been burning the midnight oil.

MamaLupine Tue 16-Jan-18 20:38:32

Well this morning I lay 9n the couch watching TV as both kids had me up through the night. This is unusual though! Usually I shop for that nights tea, walk dog, clean/tidy, do ironing, visit mum etc. I find there's very little time between school drop-off and pick-up. I do live with a bunch of untidy bastards though. Plus our house needs loads doing to it.

AthenaAshton Tue 16-Jan-18 20:38:46

Blimey. I have several. When they were little, I went for lots of very long (actually, 10 mins in RL, but accounting for examining drains etc) walks. We walked to the library. That took a while. We walked to playgroup. Ditto. They had lunch. I read to them, with my eyes shut because I knew the stories off by heart, but had been up since 5.30. We then played endless imaginary games, because it wasn't effing tea time yet. God, those days felt like years. But the years seem like minutes. Work that one out...

madmomma Tue 16-Jan-18 20:39:37

God I'd love a cleaner pag

Fairylea Tue 16-Jan-18 20:39:46

I go walking a lot. We live rurally and I enjoy trying to do as many steps as I can! I’m quite into my fitness. I do two long walks every day.

I enjoy cooking from scratch and like to plan what we’re going to eat etc.

I eat a lot - which balances out my fitness grin I eat a lot of fruit and cake! And drink a lot of tea.

I spend time with my mum (we are going to the cinema tomorrow).

I watch tv - I’m halfway through The Crown on Netflix.

And of course I do all the usual housework crap / cleaning etc.

My son is 5 and has autism and learning disabilities and attends complex needs school so the time he is at school is my “down” time. I love being at home. Dh works full time and we’re happy like this - he enjoys work, I always hated work (I used to earn twice as much as dh). We also have a teenage dd.

formerbabe Tue 16-Jan-18 20:40:07

Pagwatch

I do the cleaning myself because I can't afford a cleaner...crazy huh?!

Dipitydoda Tue 16-Jan-18 20:40:08

Ooh if I was a sahm mum based on my non working day I’d drop DS at school back for 9. Coffee then clean for an hour, go to the gym/ pool with a friend, maybe a spot of lunch. Back home, do something around the house, read, watch a film pick DS from
School at330. Be a lot stressed. I know I’m not your target audience but ooh it would be bliss

MozTheMonster Tue 16-Jan-18 20:41:07

Ha! I think you're talking about me! I take the DC to school and collect them. Then I can do what I like! I have to visit elderly parents 1-2 times a week, and due to distance that takes up most of the school day. I do all the household cleaning, shopping, washing/ironing, DIY, cooking (lots of batch cooking), appointment/holiday organising etc. I go for a coffee with friends/other mums (usually once a week). I spend a lot of time on my own (happy about that). I go to the gym 2-3 times a week during the day. I make things (curtains, cushions, clothes). I supervise all homework. Basically I do everything at home and for the DC. DH leaves early, gets home late. We try to keep weekends totally free for fun family stuff (and homework). It works well at the moment. We are not well off enough for me to be getting my nails/hair done every other week. I don't spend much money being at home, I just don't add to the family income.

Friedgreen Tue 16-Jan-18 20:41:32

Most sit around smoking pot and scratching their bums hmm

Why does there need to be yet another thread on this tedious subject. It’s like people don’t know how to read older threads (the last one was probably a month old).

AthenaAshton Tue 16-Jan-18 20:41:58

Sorry. Have now read the entire thread, and have evidently failed to give the requisite sarky answer. Now that my lot are 13 plus, I'd gladly go back to inspecting drains. But that presumably makes me a saddo who should have a cleaner. Anyway.

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 20:43:46

Formerbabe

I not questioning your doing your housework. I'm questioning why it would take anyone literally all week and still not be done.
How is that even possible?

I've had years without cleaners, three kids, two dogs, a child with SN who needed lots of extra time and a large old house with children with dust allergy.
It still didn't take all my time.

You said you must be doing something wrong - maybe you should revisit how much of this is actually necessary and not habit. Unless you have children with SN or high needs?

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 20:45:24

If you have children or a partner with disabilities or have special extra pressures then I apologise profusely.
It's just an average family should create a whole week of work should they?

BoomBoomsCousin Tue 16-Jan-18 20:45:35

I have redecorated the house. Done a degree and am about to embark on another. I read a lot. Visit art galleries and museums. Go window shopping. Meet friends for lunch.

But I only do those things a bit. I spend most of my day making sure everything domestic gets taken care of, which is so dull I --spend all my time --occasionally have to spend time on forums of the Internet.

Lilliepixie Tue 16-Jan-18 20:46:18

Here's how I look at it
From 6-10am get ready for school, drive to school, walk dog
3pm-10pm is school pick up, homework, dinner time, bedtime routine.
None of that time is mine.

From 10-3 is my time. To do whatever thefuck I want.
Watch TV, coffee, lunch, friends
Cinema
As well as the cleaning, tidying, laundry, garden etc.

Haudyerwheesht Tue 16-Jan-18 20:47:13

Coffee with friends. Voluntary work, reading,watching tv sometimes but not much really, housework and admin, bigger jobs in the house like declutterring or decorating .

Nothing amazing but I don't feel guilty. Dh works away a lot and at short notice plus we don't have family nearby.

JaneEyre70 Tue 16-Jan-18 20:47:28

I am an avid walker, so the dog and I spend around 2 hours a day walking. That then involves washing the dog twice a day hmm. I'm very tidy and do a lot of housework, I cook all our meals from scratch and in the summer do all the gardening and stuff. I'm also a keen photographer so love driving off somewhere with the dog and my camera. I also look after my grandkids a lot, help my dad out with shopping/drs visits etc. The days go very quickly, but I love that I can do what I like when I like grin. I probably read too much as well - can't beat an afternoon in front of the woodburner with the dog on my lap and a pot of tea with a good book.

Lethaldrizzle Tue 16-Jan-18 20:47:56

I used to write goady posts on mumsnet about sahms

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 20:49:49

Lilliepixie

I was a bit like that. Early morning was getting up at 6.00 until all at school. Once the DC got home it was busy until they went to bed. Weekends were busy to so the bit in the middle of the weekday was for me

formerbabe Tue 16-Jan-18 20:49:54

My house just seems to get dirty really quickly. Honestly if I dust a surface, in two days time it will look filthy again. No pets but I seem to hoover and straightaway see bits on the carpet again! The washing and ironing is non stop. One of my DC does have some minor sn, which does take up some time.

Tullula Tue 16-Jan-18 20:50:03

Thing is a school day isn’t as long as the working day. Even though my youngest two are in secondary - I do just have 9.30-3.30pm myself. It sounds like a dream - but really it’s just 6 hours.

By the time I dog walk, maybe shop for food or cook (too many food allergies to not cook from scratch), clean or iron the day flies by. The children often have a hospital/ GP appointment- two have chronic illness.

I do also pursue hobbies/ go to the gym/ meet friends for coffee or lunch - but not as much as you’d think. And going for coffee/ lunch just bores me. I’d rather be reading some history/ learning a language or trying to learn the piano. One of these will happen at some point during the day, if I’m lucky, and it never lasts long.

I do like my life not working. But it’s not like I have endless hours to do what I like.

counterpoint Tue 16-Jan-18 20:50:30

@JaneEyre70

I want to be you! smile

80sMum Tue 16-Jan-18 20:51:00

When I was a SAHM, I found that I rarely had any time for myself. All my time was spent doing housework; shopping; preparing or cooking food; keeping the baby/children occupied; walking to and from shops, playgroup, playgrounds, playmates' houses etc. It was pretty exhausting to be honest. The relentless 24/7 on-duty nature of it did used to get me down at times. There was no respite, no "me time" at all.

When my youngest was 3 I took a part time job in a local factory, working evenings 6.00 till 10pm (when DH could look after the kids when he got home from work). It was tiring, as I had been up since before 6.00am, but it was lovely to be able to leave the house and go out and do something that was nothing to do with the children or housework - and the added bonus was that I was actually paid to do it!

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 20:51:51

I think the drain inspector was actually walking with a toddler grin

liz70 Tue 16-Jan-18 20:51:56

Housework when necessary
Go for walks
Crochet, kinitting, loom knitting and other yarn craft, usually while either
listening to stories or radio dramas on iPlayer radio, or
watching usually history or nature programmes on iPlayer or My5 (using Chromecast to watch them on our non Smart TV).
Sometimes do online courses at FutureLearn
Chat with parents or DD1 by phone or FB Messenger
Some gardening in spring and summer
Noodle on the internet
Read books, either ebooks or paper
Exercise, usually jogging on the spot with hand weights on the mini trampoline, again while watching programmes that interest me. Either that or workout videos, either our own DVDs, or on YouTube, again on the TV via Chromecast.
Order online grocery shopping and put it away when it's delivered.
Listen to music, obviously.
Occasionally bake although I'm not great at it.
Practise playing my treble recorder and sight reading music (see above).

I'm never bored!

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 16-Jan-18 20:52:41

When you say all day do you realise that your all day is actually only between 10am-2pm by the time you have dropped dc at school and returned home then having to set off to go and pick up again you only actually have 4 hours to get everything done before setting off to collect dc.

By the time you have done shopping cleaned the house and diy and garden and laundry I never seemed to have any spare time.

formerbabe Tue 16-Jan-18 20:52:42

I tend to shop for food little and often which also takes up more time I guess.

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 20:52:45

Till surely that's an incredibly short secondary day?

DancingOnRainbows Tue 16-Jan-18 20:52:51

Well, I work a whole 6 hours a week but...

I'm studying for a degree
I exercise
I volunteer at school
I craft
I clean
I go shopping
I spend stupid amounts of time on mumsnet grin

PeppaPigTastesLikeBacon Tue 16-Jan-18 20:53:35

It’s my dream to be a stay at home mum. My chronic illness is made worse by stress. My job is stressful and is leading to anxiety but I can’t afford to not work whilst I have a child in nursery.

If I was a stay at home mum (after the novelty wore off) then I would probably spend my time between jobs - cooking, cleaning etc, coffee, ecercise. I would probably sleep a lot too grin

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 20:54:02

Sorry to be repetitive but Oliver how far away is the school?
I agree though the actual primary school day is short

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 20:54:12

Formerbabe
I find the washing endless but I rarely iron anymore.
I have to use a tumble dryer because I can't line dry (children's allergies) and I'm now religious about taking clothes out of the drier at the exact point at which they can be given a good shake and folded. Especially the children's clothes.
I do minimal ironing in front a crappy box set. It feels less like work then
Maybe wear sunglasses in door so you don't see carpet bits grin

Tullula Tue 16-Jan-18 20:55:15

Stealth polar bear. They’re in school 9-4pm
But by time I’ve taken them there - then picked them up realistically I have 9.30-3.30pm to myself.

LuluJakey1 Tue 16-Jan-18 20:55:18

Not much really.
Bake lovely cakes
Cook cordeon bleu meals for DH when he returns from a hard day at work
Arrange the flowers in the hall, drawing room and morning room
Prepare menus for the next few days
WI on Wednesday afternons
Write my letters between 9 and 10am
Garden
Supervise the cleaner, make sure she keeps ontop of the linen cupboard, silver poishing etc
DD and DS just occupy themselves quietly in another room

UrsulaPandress Tue 16-Jan-18 20:55:25

Muck out the horse.
Walk the dog
Read the paper
Do the crossword
Faff
Faff sone more
Lunch with friends
Coffee with friends
Stare into space

RowenasDiadem Tue 16-Jan-18 20:55:49

Coffees with other mums in the same situation. We all have husbands who work or work ourselves on our farms. We have plenty of time between feeding the livestock so it's coffees, extended chats at the school gates long after everyone else has gone home/to work and then home for stuff like laundry, cleaning up a bit and my favourite, reading. I enjoy parking threads on Mumsnet a bit too much too. I bake a lot as well. Nothing beats a nice homemade white bloomer for when the kids get home. They'd rather a big slice of that with butter over sweets any day.

Ivymaud Tue 16-Jan-18 20:56:03

formerbabe Tue 16-Jan-18 20:56:10

Pagwatch

I have started wearing slippers instead of having barefeet purely so I don't feel the bits on the carpet! What are they and where do they come from?!

reallyanotherone Tue 16-Jan-18 20:57:31

Oh and nap and have sex!

Who do you have sex with if the husband is at work?!

I found I was very busy. 9.30 by the time the school run is done, tidy, clean, washing, ironing. I needed an hour a day for crap like form filling, organising trips, finding new insurance/electric suppliers/phone contracts, filing, dealing with post etc- all those little admin jobs. Leave for school pick up at 2.15, so only really 5 hours to get everything done. Add in errand running- grocery shopping, trips to pick up necessities, then prep for dinner....

Ivymaud Tue 16-Jan-18 20:57:33

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Tue 16-Jan-18 20:57:38

I have BDSM orgies in the afternoons, with a delightful group of people while DP is at work.

Then I clean the spunk off the leather, sort out the 12" dildos, put away the ropes and get the kids from school.

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 20:57:44

I think we are sometimes so fixated with the idea that we need to justify our being at home that we become too pre-occupied.

When I was at work I got a coffee, had lunches sometimes, stopped and caught up with friends and colleagues.
I know that not everyone works like that but people who lunch, chat, catch up whilst getting a coffee don't get asked to justify their day.

GreatDuckCookery6211 Tue 16-Jan-18 20:58:20

As little as possible.

TheHolidayArmadillo Tue 16-Jan-18 20:59:46

When DD starts nursery I'll have 2.5 hours a day child-free. I'm going to finally be able to fit in my own exercise, and enjoy the peace. When she's at school I imagine I'll be able to do housework properly, redecorate, read more, cook more, dedicate more time to my craft business. Roll on 2020 wink

speakout Tue 16-Jan-18 20:59:58

Watch Jeremy Kyle, play Candy Crush, text my friends, smoke fags, throw the occasional pot noodle at the kids...

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:00:41

Formerbabe.
There is something weird occurring for sure. Are you haunted?
I have dogs so there are always bits.
We also have small gaps in our windows and things like birch pollen sweep through the house sometimes.
Could sonething be blowing in?

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 21:01:03

Some people have incredibly long journeys to school. So do we at the moment but they will get the bus soon!

liz70 Tue 16-Jan-18 21:01:20

The above being done between dropping DD3 at school and picking her up again, I should have said. Then three evenings a week I take her to karate, Girls Brigade and Dancing/Singing class. All a short walk from us (I don't drive). DH will fetch her back if he's home from work, otherwise I have to.

g1itterati Tue 16-Jan-18 21:02:11

Well...I get up at 5.30 with the cats - have a coffee / get ready. At 6.15, wake up DSs who need to leave at 7am. Take DH coffee in bed. Wake up two other DC at 7am. During this time will have served everyone breakfast eg. porridge, eggs, pancakes at intervals. Leave house with younger 2 at 7.50. By 8.30, I'm home again.

I tend to vacate the house between 9 and 1 on Mon, Wed and Fri as the cleaner comes. I do yoga, running club, Pilates or combo of these most mornings. After this, I might do food shopping / pick up stuff for DC / dry cleaning etc. At the moment, I'm renovating a house so on site a fair bit. I go into the school for the Suzuki music lessons on two days as a parent has to attend. Might meet a friend for coffee or lunch. If I feel really tired, I might just go home and watch a movie, but to be honest, this would only be on a really bad day / heavy rain. If I'm making a dinner that's something like a tagine, etc, I'll get this sorted. Organise everyone's clothes / laundry / beds as cleaner does not do this.

Leave the house at 3pm for school run. Take various DC to various activities most nights of the week. Give kids dinner to various specs, give DH dinner later (if he's not travelling). Help with homework / sort uniforms / sports kits / music practise and get younger DC bathed and in bed. Usually finish by 10pm.

liz70 Tue 16-Jan-18 21:02:17

Wrong thread, Pag. grin

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 21:02:34

Makes me feel better about their long journey actually

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Tue 16-Jan-18 21:02:46

Faffing!!!!

Someone said faffing upthread

I do a lot of that sad

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 21:03:03

Pag is talking about the bits

liz70 Tue 16-Jan-18 21:03:09

grin Lana.

streetlife70s Tue 16-Jan-18 21:03:14

You lot must be on a wind up. When I was a full time SAHM I never had a moment where i wasn’t doing either shopping for food, cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing, sorting out finances, insurance, calling HMRC etc before kids needed school run, homework, baths etc. It took over my life. It was so lonely and full on I couldn’t wait to go back to work. How anyone finds the time to do anything else is beyond me. I had no time and I went to work for the bloody break!

formerbabe Tue 16-Jan-18 21:04:22

Pagwatch

I have a DD who is into crafts...there's a lot of sequins about and a DS who plays a lot of football...there's tiny bits of AstroTurf everywhere when he's been out playing!

AnachronisticCorpse Tue 16-Jan-18 21:04:25

Up at 6, make DH’s sarnies.

Have a fag, let the dog out, take a coffee back to bed to read/internet for a bit.

Get the kids up at 7. Shoo the eldest two out of the door at 7.30, get the youngest dressed and sorted and then either cycle to school with DS2 or walk with the dog.

Home for 9-9.30 depending on walk/cycle situation, except Tuesdays when I volunteer until midday and Thursdays when I go to weighwatchers.

Then I drink lots of coffee, do as little housework as I can get away with to stop us dying of dirt, watch tv, make dolls houses, maybe have a cheeky wank in the afternoon if the mood takes me. Sometimes pop to the shops or take the dog out, occasionally go to the cinema if the timings are right. Bit of reading, gardening in the good weather, cooking or prepping for dinner.

Then I pick the youngest up at three, the biggies come in at 3.40, DH comes in at 4.30 and I do dinner. Teens wash up, DH does bedtime, I clock off at about 6.30.

I think I’ve covered everything?

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 21:04:45

Bloody hell glitterati I feel tired reading that

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:04:50

Doesn't matter what the thread, I like talking about bits.

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:06:48

That's it then Formerbabe, embrace it.
Spend your life with every outfit decorated with green and sparkly bits

One day you could get green and sequinned carpet...

You could work this

UrsulaPandress Tue 16-Jan-18 21:06:51

Faffing shouldn't make you sad.

I love a good faff.

Viviennemary Tue 16-Jan-18 21:07:53

The best time to be an SAHM IMHO is when your DC's have left home. No school runs to interrupt your days off. So it will be coffees out lunches out, crafting, meeting friends or walking the dog, holidays and anything else you like. It's a hard life to be sure.

jwpetal Tue 16-Jan-18 21:08:16

I clean, cook/prepare for all meals, take children to hospital appointments, volunteer at the school and as a new mother support person, exercise, food shop, do campaign work, run errands. Manage the household bills and budget. From time to time, I meet friends or do something special.

This year is the first year where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have started to look for part time work. My husband works very long hours and we have no family for support so my options are limited...by choice.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Tue 16-Jan-18 21:08:17

I'm currently on mat leave with DS (6m), and I cook, go for hikes with him in the sling, go to baby group, potter about National Trust properties, I'm learning a 3rd language, I volunteer (computer-based from home), and do various bits of housework/laundry (which seems never-ending!). I also read and watch TV.

TBH I couldn't do this full-time, I feel like my brain is atrophying by the day - I love DS but I'll be happy to work part-time.

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:08:45

Look!

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Tue 16-Jan-18 21:08:49

ursula

But ive done nothing but faff since the children went back to school

I dont seem to be able to get off the sofa

I will hold out for February grin

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Jan-18 21:08:52

Isn't that retirement? My Dc's are primary aged but I'm dreaming about it

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:09:18

TheMaddHugger Tue 16-Jan-18 21:09:33

did a lot of volunteer work. Meals on wheels, etc

formerbabe Tue 16-Jan-18 21:11:42

My ds would love that rug!

Oh, did I mention I have shiny kitchen floor tiles bastard previous owner. They NEVER look clean...and the kitchen is big. It's hellish

God, my life is being destroyed by flooring!!!! Help

happytobemrsg Tue 16-Jan-18 21:12:40

I watch dvds, lots of family time with DH as he works strange hours, bit of housework. Currently overseeing renovations to the house / garden. DS is 18 months

gillybeanz Tue 16-Jan-18 21:13:16

I'm working pt now, but was a sahm for 25 years, quite a lot of this was when dc were at school.
Cleaning, washing and shopping were fit into my day of hobbies and interests.
I am not one to get nails done, go o the gym, or coffee with friends much.
I spent time with my dh as he's home a lot, 3 years home educating one of our kids, theatre, cinema, arts centres, music festivals etc.

CheggarsPlaysPlop Tue 16-Jan-18 21:13:27

You lucky, lucky bastards

happytobemrsg Tue 16-Jan-18 21:13:37

I also go play group twice a week & see family with DS in tow

Babyroobs Tue 16-Jan-18 21:14:11

I watch Jeremy Kyle and drink lots of Gin.

Pagwatch Tue 16-Jan-18 21:14:27

Formerbabe

Ignore the floor.
Repeat after me : ignore the floor.
The floor is a bore ignore the floor

<whispers> literally no one else cares. You can leave it and have a sit down.

I'm watching the box set of Greys Anatomy. It's THIRTEEN series of utter junk. It's great 👍

ClosdesMouches Tue 16-Jan-18 21:14:30

I feel as if I have less time than I did when I was working FT, two hour commute, caring for an elderly parent, studying PT for a degree and running a larger house.

Nowadays I don’t get much done.
Ideally I’d cook nearly everything from scratch, have the house looking great, find time to exercise, go out for lunch, read a lot and finally finish that degree.
I do WFH but it’s only 5 hours a week. No idea where the time goes.

GrouchyKiwi Tue 16-Jan-18 21:14:38

I only hate faffing when DH is doing it. When I'm faffing it's a necessary thing for health or something.

I contemplate fairly regularly how wonderful it would be to have the house to myself in the daytime. I would clean! And bake! And read a book without constant interruptions! And I would garden without wondering which of my children is going to poke themselves in the eye with a small garden fork.

And then I wonder why I was such a fucking idiot to decide it would be better for the children to be home educated, but at least we don't have to get up early in the morning. I love my sweet darlings who don't wake before 8am.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »