Talk

Advanced search

To find this vile and offensive?

(214 Posts)
RecalibratedMilkshake Tue 16-Jan-18 12:46:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NorbertTheDragon Fri 19-Jan-18 08:35:03

Yes, many things can be used for suicide, but I don't see anyone advertising men ties by making it look like they're hanging themselves, or ropes advertised as nooses round someone's necks.

It's the whole imagery of the photo that contributes to m personal feelings. I don't want to be reminded of my how my brother died when I'm browsing for clothes, it is a shocking image to come across.

And those that can't see why anyone's bothered are bloody lucky they haven't had to go through family or friends dying in this way.

grwm1 Fri 19-Jan-18 09:57:31

I have two teenage daughters and i'd be horrified if they came home (or went out!!) wearing one of these. Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells!

Enidthecat Fri 19-Jan-18 10:01:36

It's awful but i wouldn't say it was suicide imagery at all. It's a choker ffs.

brackenmoor Fri 19-Jan-18 10:03:16

flowers Yes Norbert, so sorry about you brother.

LoniceraJaponica Fri 19-Jan-18 12:29:30

"but i wouldn't say it was suicide imagery at all."

hmm
I would, and clearly a lot of people do.

Please read Norbert's post again and digest it. And try and find some social awareness and empathy hmm

Dianag111 Fri 19-Jan-18 14:16:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hollowtree Fri 19-Jan-18 14:21:40

Wtf such a random stupid pointless advert which is definitely going to offend!

pombal Fri 19-Jan-18 14:24:30

You’d never see men’s fashion posed like this, funny that.

Enidthecat Fri 19-Jan-18 17:37:22

lonicera im entitled to an opinion. A lot of people find things offensive that others dont. It's not a lack of empathy.

t00manytears Fri 19-Jan-18 17:41:11

I'm not easily offended but I lost a relative to suicide by hanging this week.

Why the fuck anyone would want to put such a thing around their neck in the name of fashion is beyond me. But I do think ASOS are pushing the boundaries here, to be deliberately provocative, wouldn't surprise me if this was done deliberately as a publicity stunt.

Whatever, I don't really want to see it.

LoniceraJaponica Fri 19-Jan-18 17:48:13

Enidthecat we are fortunate to live in a country where we are all entitled to express an opinion. However, some opinions are more unsavoury than others, and I reserve the right to disagree with you.

MummytoCSJH Fri 19-Jan-18 17:49:26

My father hung humself with a belt so yes, it can be upsetting and offensive. Won't be shopping there again..

QuackPorridgeBacon Fri 19-Jan-18 22:30:59

You can get necklaces that resemble a noose. So why so much offence taken at a belt? If it triggers you because you have had someone pass that way then I do feel for you, but some people may not see it that way and they aren’t wrong for it. I honestly saw it as sexual before anything else and even find the pose suggestive of sexual asphyxiation.

LoniceraJaponica Fri 19-Jan-18 23:17:25

"I honestly saw it as sexual before anything else"

I didn't, and I guess that most people didn't. Not everyone would see it that way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »