Talk

Advanced search

To find this vile and offensive?

(214 Posts)
RecalibratedMilkshake Tue 16-Jan-18 12:46:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrinitySquirrel Thu 18-Jan-18 12:54:01

I'm kinky as fuck but find the naming of it Hanger a bit vile.

Couldn't they have just called it the choker? So it was kinky not suicidey?

UnicornRainbowColours Thu 18-Jan-18 12:59:11

YANBU that’s horrible

FannyWisdom Thu 18-Jan-18 13:07:08

Sorry to pick on you Star but it is actually a necklace/choker that is deliberately fashioned to look like a belt which happens to be the popular item to hang oneself.
It's also branded hanger in case more was needed

I'd say this is a publicity/shock thing especially on the back of the YouTube twat.

QuackPorridgeBacon Thu 18-Jan-18 13:10:57

People seriously think this one single item is named hanger... that’s the brand name not the name of the actual item.

cantucciniamaretto Thu 18-Jan-18 13:15:33

Hanger is the brand, not the item. Choker has been the name of a type of necklace for a long time.
I don't really get the fuss. Its expensive and ugly, but that's about it.

LoniceraJaponica Thu 18-Jan-18 13:22:48

cantucciniamaretto Can't you see that it is in very bad taste and triggering for a lot of people? Really? hmm

Ikanon Thu 18-Jan-18 13:23:22

Awful

TiredConfusedMumma Thu 18-Jan-18 13:25:58

I just think it’s fashion these days.... unfortunately the world is full of offensive things

alliwantforchristmasis Thu 18-Jan-18 13:39:08

The naming and pose are very wrong but it’s a bit of fashion wear that I can’t see a lot of people buying, this is a belt would you have found it as offensive if it was a man wearing a tie with the same name and pose, as they get used more than belts as something to commit suicide with?
I do agree that it needs removing from the site and an apology posted concerning it, maybe a good will gift to the Samaritans too just a thought.

MsHooliesCardigan Thu 18-Jan-18 13:43:26

I genuinely don’t get offended easily but, as a psychiatric nurse who has had to cut down 2 patients who hanged themselves on inpatient wards and looked after an 18 year old woman in the community who hanged herself in a park - with her belt- I just find this sick.

cantucciniamaretto Thu 18-Jan-18 13:46:36

Can't you see that it is in very bad taste and triggering for a lot of people? Really?

No more so than a lot of other things. People wear necklaces that look like ropes, is that any different?

Gottagetmoving Thu 18-Jan-18 13:58:22

I don't find it offensive, just totally stupid.

LoniceraJaponica Thu 18-Jan-18 14:12:47

" People wear necklaces that look like ropes, is that any different?"

Of course it is hmm
It looks like a noose, not a loose necklace

cantucciniamaretto Thu 18-Jan-18 14:13:53

Google images for belt necklace shows millions of the things. It's hardly unheard of..

petbear Thu 18-Jan-18 14:17:56

That is fucking weird and disturbing.. And I am not usually offended of shocked at much!

petbear Thu 18-Jan-18 14:18:13

OR shocked, not OF shocked!!!

LoniceraJaponica Thu 18-Jan-18 14:25:10

I have never seen anything like this before. And judging from many of the responses on here, it looks like a lot of other people haven't either.

oatmilk4breakfast Thu 18-Jan-18 17:56:46

I tweeted them and they’ve removed it. I guess a lot of people felt like us. Man or woman the allusion is completely obvious and it’s not that it’s triggering necessarily that’s the problem it’s the implicit sexualisation of suicide that bothered me I think.

madeyemoodysmum Thu 18-Jan-18 17:58:57

Horrible and totally wrong on all levels!!!

FreshStartToday Thu 18-Jan-18 18:18:20

Google images for belt necklace shows millions of the things. It's hardly unheard of.. Yes there are. But none of the other images which show up when you do a google search use the sexualisation of suicide or strangulation to try and sell the necklaces. Disgraceful advert.

WunWun Thu 18-Jan-18 18:24:43

If you Google 'Asos choker suicide' there a load of articles quotoing posters on this thread. According to one of them, Asos has taken the picture down.

fastfrank Thu 18-Jan-18 18:27:00

The whole concept of it is disturbing.

LoniceraJaponica Thu 18-Jan-18 18:44:55

I have just googled images of belt necklaces, and none of them look as disturbing and inappropriate as the Asos one. In fact they don't look offensive at all.

QuackPorridgeBacon Fri 19-Jan-18 07:58:42

Everything can be seen as offensive and many things are used for suicide purposes. Should everything be banned? I really think a lot of people are taking offence whet eit is not needed. You got what you want anyway, it’s been taken down. Just beating a dead horse now.

EggsonHeads Fri 19-Jan-18 08:03:37

I'm not offended but I am a bit confused. That's just a very awkward image isn't it. Not sure who would ever think that it was a good idea but then again I could say the same of the product.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »