Talk

Advanced search

To find this vile and offensive?

(214 Posts)
RecalibratedMilkshake Tue 16-Jan-18 12:46:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nellieellie Wed 17-Jan-18 18:14:45

What I don’t quite understand is that they have a range of “hanger” clothes - jacket and tops? Am I missing something?

RaqsMax Wed 17-Jan-18 18:15:49

Totally inappropriate to be marketing this on a teen clothing site. It is clearly an allusion to auto-eroticism where some people hang themselves from a hook and self-strangulate for sexual gratification. It can sadly go wrong and there are many cases of accidental death with this practice (Michael Hutchence, for example).

Some teens might confuse this with suicide and hanging. It is just exploitative and tasteless.

MrMeSeeks Wed 17-Jan-18 18:19:08

To anyone who was NOT offended by the photo/item did you actually click and look at the photo??
Yes

DavetheCat2001 Wed 17-Jan-18 18:26:37

It's been removed from the site

Smudge100 Wed 17-Jan-18 18:44:53

Sick.

user1476641978 Wed 17-Jan-18 18:49:41

I’m not offended easily either and am usually the one shouting ‘who honestly cares!’ But would say this is really inappropriate. Suggestiveness aside, looks like a health and safety hazard right up there with flammable shell suits.

dadshere Wed 17-Jan-18 18:54:21

YABU- it is nothing to get worked up about

rcat Wed 17-Jan-18 18:54:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AmazingGrace47 Wed 17-Jan-18 18:55:38

Totally inappropriate

MissWilmottsGhost Wed 17-Jan-18 19:00:55

It's not a belt is it? It is described as a 'choker' and doesn't have holes in for a waist size. It is actually meant to be worn around the neck?

Fuck me, suicide fashion. Consumerism hits a new low confused

luckiestgirl Wed 17-Jan-18 19:06:18

I don’t think they meant it as suicide fashion. I don’t think it’s meant to look like she’s hanging. I think it’s a kink thing and she’s looking submissive. It’s obly called ‘hanger’ because that’s the brand name (they have many items by hanger).

Rabblemum Wed 17-Jan-18 19:10:52

I can understand why some woukd find it offensive but all my son’s tees have skulls, zombies or something offensive on them.

Springprim Wed 17-Jan-18 20:26:43

Absolutely horrible.

inashizzle Wed 17-Jan-18 20:40:20

Freaks me out and concerns me- didn't click on it, but the angle as well!! Girls might not necessarily see it as bordering perverse, really worries me how some young men would; I agree the name is distinct and vile. What's worse is my dd shops mainly from asos.

MumsTheWordYouKnow Wed 17-Jan-18 21:05:05

FFS shock

MumsTheWordYouKnow Wed 17-Jan-18 21:05:57

Surely there are decency standards in advertising.

IDrinkAndISewThings Wed 17-Jan-18 21:34:11

In very bad taste

BraayTigger Wed 17-Jan-18 21:46:32

What the hell is that?! £45! I used to work for ASOS and whilst it’s full of fresh young trendy things, this is so wrong and definitely not a trend to be seen in!

Mammasmitten Thu 18-Jan-18 08:35:24

WTF! Before I clicked on the image I just thought it was a belt used as a fashion accessory. Thought, what's the big deal. Then I click on it and see that it's called hanger and has one hole at the end that makes it appear like a convenient way to attach the end to a hook. Absolutely disgusting. It blatantly conjures the image of suicide by hanging. Not something that should be trivialized and not something that should be in a mainstream shop. No everyone wants to be exposed to this kind of thing. Especially if you were close to someone who had hung themselves. Could be traumatizing. It's incredibly insensitive.

Geordie1944 Thu 18-Jan-18 09:13:23

All fashion is pretentious, over-priced crap. Why should ASOS be any different.

manicmij Thu 18-Jan-18 11:03:14

There are a number of connotations to be taken from this advert - suicide, murder,sexual. Ask yourself what is it advertising. To me, all three I have mentioned. Lowest of the low advertising/marketing for ASOS.

morningconstitutional2017 Thu 18-Jan-18 12:43:31

It looks a bit like a dog lead. Absolutely not all right.

starzig Thu 18-Jan-18 12:49:18

It is fetish wear for the more confident woman. Nothing to do with suicide (though brand name is just slightly unfortunate). Also nothing negative in the fetish scene, girls that dress fetish choose to do so and therefore are not actually submissive in the abused sense.

LoniceraJaponica Thu 18-Jan-18 12:49:39

“I can't believe people on this thread can't see the issue with this.”

Same here. They must be completely lacking in social awareness and empathy. This is wrong and inappropriate on any level. It was mentioned on the 6.30 news this morning.

TrinitySquirrel Thu 18-Jan-18 12:52:31

It's NOT a belt. It's actually a bloody choker necklace!! shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »