Talk

Advanced search

To find this vile and offensive?

(214 Posts)
RecalibratedMilkshake Tue 16-Jan-18 12:46:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RatRolyPoly Tue 16-Jan-18 13:57:47

Holy. Shit.

The item of clothing itself is forgivable. In conjunction with the pose it is not.

I can't believe no-one did a double take before it found itself on the internet confused

VladmirsPoutine Tue 16-Jan-18 14:01:57

Are people taking issue with it mainly because of the sexualised aspect of a submissive young woman, or in the context of glamorising suicide i.e. hanging?
I think it's atrocious but don't particularly find it offensive.

demirose87 Tue 16-Jan-18 14:05:59

That's gross.

RatRolyPoly Tue 16-Jan-18 14:09:35

It's the suicide aspect I'm seeing. Why use a pose reminiscent of suicide for an item that not only resembles another item of clothing being used as a means of killing oneself, but is also called a Hangar belt choker? I mean they can't help the brand name or the fact it is indeed a choker, and the blatant resemblance is perhaps somewhat the point of the thing - fashion innit - but why the photo?? And then for it to be placed somewhere specifically aimed at young people, some of whom could potentially be vulnerable... I think that's a pretty reprehensible fail.

DreamyMcDreamy Tue 16-Jan-18 14:10:33

Ugh, that's horrible! I wouldn't have made any connection, but seeing that my first thought was it looks stupid and very dangerous, if it got caught/yanked suddenly....yep, ridiculous and dangerous!

Jaxinthebox Tue 16-Jan-18 14:18:06

FFS my DD shops there and I would not like her to see this or buy this. Sexual and suicide thoughts regarding this when I saw it.

Epic Fail ASOS. angry

Londonlivin Tue 16-Jan-18 14:22:40

You can’t compare this to a dog collar worn in the 80’s. I came on the thread expecting to disagree with the OP, but this is grossly irresponsible of ASOS.

DailyMaileatmyshit Tue 16-Jan-18 14:23:53

I genuinely don't see the issue here. It's fashion.

helenoftroyville Tue 16-Jan-18 14:26:36

Erotic asphyxiation & suicide spring to mind....it's called 'hanger' FFS what are they thinking? angry

bridgetoc Tue 16-Jan-18 14:30:21

YABU......... Resist the urge to be a snowflake, and make an effort to not be offended by everything.

MedicinalGin Tue 16-Jan-18 14:31:24

The word ‘hanger’
The big red belt round the neck
The pose

Each one of these in isolation could be explained away. All three together is completely wrong- I would hate my daughter to see this.

NorbertTheDragon Tue 16-Jan-18 14:33:55

My brother died by hanging himself. I'm not usually bothered by images of it (on tv etc) but that really shocked and upset me. Probably because there's no reason for it - it's not part of programme or a book. It's just to get attention and publicity because I can't believe anyone actually thinks a belt noose is a good look to go out in.

whiskyowl Tue 16-Jan-18 14:39:14

Making a piece of clothing for teens that overtly references suicide by hanging is irresponsible in the extreme. I can't believe their buyers thought this was remotely appropriate. I would be seriously questioning the judgement of whomever included it, to the point of considering their future as an employee.

NerrSnerr Tue 16-Jan-18 14:40:06

Resist the urge to be a snowflake, and make an effort to not be offended by everything.
Some things are offensive though. I’m another who has lost a sibling to hanging. Advertising clothes using suicide is not on.

Blackteadrinker77 Tue 16-Jan-18 14:42:22

The timing as well, to be selling that at a time of year when the suicide rate is higher.

Elendon Tue 16-Jan-18 14:43:30

YANBU!

Suicide statistics show that young people are most at harm and that they are also most at harm from abuse within a relationship at this time.

WingsOnMyBoots Tue 16-Jan-18 14:47:06

Yes, it makes me feel physically sick.

CremeFresh Tue 16-Jan-18 14:52:52

There are lots of things people should not be offended by. This is not one of them.

diddl Tue 16-Jan-18 14:58:22

"Meh, it's just a belt. No one has to wear it."

Why would a belt be modelled around a neck??

SpiderWilliesOnYourFrillys Tue 16-Jan-18 15:04:59

Wow i think there should be some sort of warning before seeing this image tbh, not directed at you OP at all. I can’t believe ASOS have put this up. My life was turned upside down by suicide just like this pictured! What were they thinking sad

Keepingupwiththejonesys Tue 16-Jan-18 15:18:40

45 quid!!!

Elendon Tue 16-Jan-18 15:25:51

Recently there was a post on here about mysterious deaths/people gone missing. I clicked on a link that took me to the suicide of a young person. They used a belt.

It was deemed a site NSFW. I wished I had never clicked on it. This image is really no different.

It's abhorrent.

As is your post @Keepingupwiththejonesys No need to be so dismissive.

BubbaLips Tue 16-Jan-18 15:29:42

this is shocking.

Alpacaandgo Tue 16-Jan-18 15:46:16

The actual item, just crap and not offensive but put together with the name and the image wtaf!!!

I shall be emailing them too.

Personally I can just overlook this but the thought of my teenage girls who shop there seeing this and thinking its fashion just makes me feel sick.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Tue 16-Jan-18 15:56:58

That really is a shocker. Somebody must have directed the model to strike that pose deliberately - who the fuck does that?

As a point of fact though, young people and teens are less at risk of suicide than middle aged people and the very elderly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »