Talk

Advanced search

After school birthday parties, yey or nay

(7 Posts)
Deshasafraisy Sat 13-Jan-18 23:37:01

My DD is turning 9 and it falls on a Friday. I’m thinking she can invite a few friends over after school for dinner. So is it unreasonable to host a party from 5-8 on a school night?
Is it better to do it during the day at the weekend. Is 8pm too late/early? Would you find this a pain in the behind?
I’ve had mixed reactions when I’ve talked about this in RL so asking the amazing mumsnetters. TIA

GreenTulips Sat 13-Jan-18 23:40:13

5pm start is awkward - just as you're putting tea on/eating etc

Better to take them straight from school - parents drop off with change of clothes - no rushing home to change and go back out!

Make it a 7:30 finish

BackforGood Sat 13-Jan-18 23:46:26

Agree with GreenTulips. That is an awkward time. If you are at home with dc, they are tired and grumbly and you're trying to get tea for other dc etc.
If you are a WOTH parents then you probably won't be able to leave work to collect them then get them there for that time (plus others will have changed so that's yet another thing to remember in the morning - change of clothes, present etc).
However, if you take them direct from school, then that would be fine.

KC225 Sat 13-Jan-18 23:51:32

Do it straight from school and end it at 7 instead.

Deshasafraisy Sat 13-Jan-18 23:57:27

Ok, straight from school does sound a lot easier all round. Thanks very much for the replies. wine

Leeds2 Sat 13-Jan-18 23:58:30

Would agree with collect all the guests, with a change of clothes, from school. To drop off at yours at 5 could be very difficult for working parents, or those trying to coordinate tea time for other DC.
Would also suggest not making it too obvious to the rest of the class who haven't been invited.

MagicWillHappen Sat 13-Jan-18 23:58:59

It wouldn't be too late an end but I agree that a 5pm start is awkward - depending on the day, mine would either still be in the cm's or I'd be doing dinner.

Can you take them straight from school? My older DC have been to a few Friday parties and always gone straight home with the other parent.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: