Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to holiday in Scotland in Feb

(18 Posts)
notvalidusername Sat 13-Jan-18 21:47:32

Hello everyone,
Posted elsewhere but didn't get any replies. Hoping you can help.
We are looking to go to Scotland this coming half term in February. We are family of four, including a 5 and a 2 year old.
We aren't scared of the cold. Would love an adventure but may be equally happy with something tame but unique.
I have looked online but everything I found is summer focused. No info on winter stuff.
Any ideas? Or AIBU to even think of holidaying in Scotland? If not Scotland then where in the UK should we consider (I have sent off for my passport so we can't travel abroad).
Many thanks!

sw2102 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:51:48

Well I hope not as we are off to Scotland in Feb too. The weather obviously has crossed my mind but we are hoping for the best!

SantanicoPandemonium Sat 13-Jan-18 21:58:44

You're not unreasonable, but you are brave 😁 If you get lucky with the weather, it'll be cold and frosty, but clear skies, so great for walking in the hills and a bit of sight seeing. The problem at this time of year though is the rain (and gales if you head up north) - you might not see out 6ft out your window for days.

Having said that, Scotland's beautiful and worth a visit! Edinburgh and Glasgow have got loads of indoor stuff, like museums and historical buildings and if you want countryside then the highlands and Cairngorms have loads of hiking and natural beauty spots. If you do head inland, think about getting winter tyres - I live in the north east and wouldn't have left my house for most of December without them!

Graphista Sat 13-Jan-18 22:00:06

Depends where in Scotland. Cold is one thing, cold AND constant wind and rain may test you and your family's patience severely.

itssunnybehindtheclouds Sat 13-Jan-18 22:03:04

It depends on where in Scotland you go. I would usually say to be aware of islands as ferries can be cancelled in bad weather. That said we went to Arran (look up Auchrannie) in February and had the smoothest crossing I’ve ever had on a boat! Weather was mixed but we had dry days. We even got on to the beach (albeit with snowsuits on).

celtiethree Sat 13-Jan-18 22:03:10

Have you looked at Crieff Hydro or Auchrannie on Arran?

Paleshelter Sat 13-Jan-18 22:08:01

Are you coming from England, is the half term the same as the Scottish holidays? Cried Hydro is great, child friendly but very expensive during school holidays in Scotland.

sw2102 Sat 13-Jan-18 22:34:22

We are going to Erigmore.. about an hour north of Edinburgh (near Perth I think) for 4 days and doing a night and two days in Edinburgh. Hoping it wont snow and make driving too hard! Don't mind wrapping up warm and also hoping it won't rain too much haha.

silvousplaitmerci Sat 13-Jan-18 22:37:03

Good luck with that!

I am Glaswegian and I'm joking wink you'll have a great time

Doubletrouble99 Sun 14-Jan-18 00:03:49

You can do self catering in cabins with hot tubs and things in quite a few places. What about the cairngorms and do some skiing /sledging etc. I would be wary of hiking in the hills at this time of year, can be very dangerous if weather changes as it can very easily up here.
Crieff Hydro is a great idea too with loads of child friendly activities and child care as well if I remember, so adults can have some time on their own too.

HollaHolla Sun 14-Jan-18 00:15:15

Believe it or not, people live here in February (and other parts of the year....) grin

Seriously - bring the appropriate gear, don't expect to get out and about every single day, and just get on with it. Be aware that ferries might be cancelled, roads might get shut (snow/land slips) and some places might not be open. You can enjoy indoors things as well as outdoors. Where are you thinking of staying?

notvalidusername Sun 14-Jan-18 00:18:51

Thanks a lot everyonethanks
I will look at the resorts recommended here.

SlaughteredChicken Sun 14-Jan-18 00:26:58

No need to go north. Take a look at Laggan Outdoor. Amazing activities for all the family, local tourist hotspots and if you decide Scotland's not for you (which you won't) day trips to Ireland or the islands. Love SW Scotland- have fun smile

tamepanda Sun 14-Jan-18 00:29:27

Come to Arran! I live there and have a b&b (slightly biased). It's fantastic for kids. I have a two year old and two month old!

ArchchancellorsHat Sun 14-Jan-18 00:47:33

Are you looking for a city or the country? As established on a previous thread (it was very amusing) Edinburgh remains open all year and there are lots of things for children to do - indoors too if the weather really is awful. Glasgow is good too.
I'm not sure about B&Bs in the country though, unless you prefer hotels. Places like Oban or Elgin might be nice.

sabs22 Sun 14-Jan-18 03:11:12

What about aviemore? Lots to do at this time of year, the Hilton coylumbridge is very family orientated with onsite activities and entertainment, reasonable too. Also loads of activities in the area including unique things like husky sleds and the funicular railway.

RebootYourEngine Sun 14-Jan-18 04:22:32

Its scotland you could have this dilemma any time of the year grin

Seriously though as long as you are prepared for any kind of weather you will be fine.

flumpybear Sun 14-Jan-18 05:35:54

It's nice around Pitlochry with lots to do as long as you're taking a car

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: