Talk

Advanced search

Who gets awful PMT? I am beginning think my hormones and PMT are beyond 'normal'

(10 Posts)
BowBow1 Sat 13-Jan-18 20:07:51

I'm 35, had 2 children, though 7 pregnancies, and hormones have always been a nightmare for me. Going on the pill, coil, etc all send me quite frankly insane, so I am no longer on any contraception - with no intention of having another baby either! But i am noticing my hormonal spikes around the run up to my period are horrendous. I'm not just grouchy I am borderline mentally ill, my anxiety goes through the roof, I have awful nightmares, I make rash (often irrational decisions) which I regret the week later, my anger is ridiculously quick fire, I cry at anything and feel like I am having some sort of breakdown. My periods are never regular so this last anything from a couple of days up to 5. I ended up feeling so frustrated today I scratched my inner arm until it was nearly bleeding and is now so sore. I am not like this at any other time of the month!! I am an intelligent, logical, hopefully kind, peaceful, balanced individual most of the time! Please help! (I take star Annais and Magnesium every day to try and help)

LizzieSiddal Sat 13-Jan-18 20:12:33

Poor you, I have terrible pmt but not as bad as yours. It seems very extreme and I think this is a type of PMT which can be treated medically.
Please go and see your dr.

Festivecheeseandcrackers Sat 13-Jan-18 20:17:51

This is me! I seriously could have written it. I came off of hormonal contraception years ago for the reason it made me worse. During pregnancy it got really bad and after birth while my hormones settled down. I'm pregnant again and experiencing the same again.

No advice as I don't know what to do about it either. I've tried mentioning it when I've been to the doctors in the past but they just nod understandingly and give me anti-depressants (which I've never found helpful) or refer me to CBT.

Shadow1986 Sat 13-Jan-18 20:22:26

OP I started a thread basically saying the same thing the other day - I think it was in AIBU and called something like periods making me. Crazy bitch. Have a read, some helpful advice.
Can definitely sympathise though, I feel exactly the same.

Dwayna Sat 13-Jan-18 20:29:49

Look up premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).

I started suffering from this once my periods returned after having my DS.

I would feel like I went insane once a month. Had suicidal thoughts most months. It was crippling.

The Dr prescribed me microgynon in order to prevent the hormone spike each month and it has helped, although I'm not 100% yet.

flowers for you x

ginorwine Sat 13-Jan-18 23:35:11

Sounds like above disorder . I had it . It made my life a misery two
Weeks
Out of 4 following ovulation . Gp
Described it as sensitivity to
A hormone - progesterone or eastrogen
My breasts got very lumpy and sore - had to hold them when going down stairs in fact ended up in breast clinic at hospital as they were so lumpy . I felt sick . Moods were anger and very low . Hated my dh . Physical anger too . Also judgement physically was affected - I mis judged steps and distances . The second my period came fine . pregnancy made it go away plus breast feeding so long as wasn't ovulating . Post partum I got very depressed .
My gp didn't know what to do other than put me on the pill to avoid ovulation . Maybe it could work for you in some form . I tried alternative medicine , herbs etc - nothing touched it including v high prescription oil of primrose .
The gp I went to next gave me Prozac and it helped .
He said the menapause will be easy and he was right - no problems at all .
It's almost like the condition means that you are really well ( well for me ) in pregnancy etc but ' normal ' life until
The Prozac was hell .
I hope you get it addressed - I spent too many years saying I can cope and I won't let it get to me etc next month - but for me it was a distinct condition and as such it should be looked at .. I really hope you get it addressed .x

ginorwine Sat 13-Jan-18 23:40:30

Lots about it on internet . I'm not usuallly happy to take meds but they - after many years of hell - were a lifesaver .

steff13 Sat 13-Jan-18 23:42:10

I have PMDD. I take a low dose of Zoloft for it. It has made a huge difference. I still get a little emotional/weepy, but not out of control like I once was.

ginorwine Sat 13-Jan-18 23:44:33

I re read your post just now . I can really understand when you say that you are normally rational etc .
It's a very strong influence hormone wise and despite my saying I refuse to be like this next month - there I was again within hours of ovulation for two weeks .
I too made rash decisions - was impulsive . It was like being possessed by someone else ! Do seek help . Best wishes .

Bambamber Sat 13-Jan-18 23:52:03

I agree with PP, my first thought was PMDD. Mine has made me suicidal in the past and I'll have moments where I'm perfectly calm and then start thinking about a random scenario that hasn't even happened, and I'll get so angry I feel like I'll lose control.

After I had surgery for endometriosis I was put on the pill back to back in the hope to stop my periods. It worked and it stopped the PMDD symptoms for me as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now