Talk

Advanced search

Help me. Our house is crumbling

(3 Posts)
Henrysmycat Sat 13-Jan-18 19:40:11

Help! I’m at my wits end. I’ll try and keep it short. I had my roof done in the summer. We had a piece of the roof that was flat and had that lining thing. (I know, I know! I don’t know much) It needed changing as last time it was done 15 years ago and it was time.
I found the roofer through FUCKING Checkatrade and he had glowing reviews.
Fast forward to now and the roof is leaking badly and part of the ceiling fell. I contacted him and he promised to come have a look. That was 3 weeks ago. The ceiling plaster in another room is soft and my finger went right thru where the ceiling meets the slipping wall. Had to move the DD to another room as she used to sleep there. He’s avoiding me and now and after 10 messages/texts, he blocked my number or my messages are undelivered. Not once I have been rude or nasty.
What are my rights? I have no idea where to look or go to?
What can I do? I’m down £2.5k (for his payment as it needed scaffolding) and god knows how much the ceilings will cost.

MaggieFS Sat 13-Jan-18 19:45:30

Have you complained directly to checkatrade? If not. Get onto it ASAP.

Homemenu1 Sat 13-Jan-18 20:13:38

He's not coming back

Leave reviews where you can, checks trade local Facebook local page

Do you have his address?

Write to him, with deadlines and state you will contact trading standard and take him to a small claims court.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now